What's new

Barnes & Noble Introduces NOOK tablet (1 Viewer)

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I don't quite understand how this works nor why they implemented it but:

http://www.theverge.com/2011/11/17/2569132/nook-tablet-internal-storage-limit-1GB

Then again, if this limitation can be removed by rooting, it's not a big deal for the hobbyist/enthusiast crowd.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
That's a bit of a bummer if they keep that limitation -- one comment did mention they did that briefly on the NC as well, but lifted the limitation subsequently.

Clearly, they want to get people to use it for content that will definitely contribute to their own bottomline, and this approach may or may not lead to some backlash. One would think though that they should want to keep the (user) advantage of having unrestricted larger (built-in) storage over the Kindle Fire as a selling point...

_Man_

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
The Nook Tablet has already been rooted:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/20/nook-tablet-gets-rooted-bootloader-stays-under-lock-and-key/

No ability to load custom ROMs yet, but the root is permanent. I don't know if this can switch off the 1GB limitation.

While it is inconvenient, the fact that you can stick a 32GB SD card in it mitigates that limitation somewhat.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I thought it was dead three years ago. I still see a nook in the wild, but rarely. Everyone has an iPad or kindle for reading. The main buyers I saw a few years ago were lowest-cost shoppers.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Oh shit Dave be careful, you will be lumped in with me thinking people who choose anything but Apple are just cheap.(To be clear: not true)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Indeed. :)I'll amplify: the nook e-ink readers were nice and a step ahead of the Kindles. They had the first self-lit, touch-screen reader (the "Glow"?) I looked at one and told my wife I hoped Amazon would mimic it soon so I could buy it. Those made sense to buy as gadgets, being affordable and good quality...ignoring basic of Beta vs VHS decisions where Amazon was obviously VHS.But the nook android tablet? At first release, it seemed intriguing. But the the past couple years, seemed the device for those for whom price was absolute most important issue in buying a tablet. (Including some friends.) that's fine: if you want a tablet and only have a $200 budget, it's that or nothing.But I didn't see people buying the Nook who could afford better devices. And that's not a winning strategy in the electronics business, especially if you're not the top-dog electronics manufacture, but are a second-dog B&M bookstore who outsources all its electronics design and manufacturing. Anecdotally, I saw overlap in Nook buyers and HP / Palm Touchpad buyers, post fire sale. Clearly not the right customers for long-term success. Anecdote != data! etc. :D

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I'm a bit late to the thread but I have a Nook Simple Touch and still use it. I will admit, I didn't buy it... I got it free from Continental a year or two ago when I bought a new set of tires for my wife's car. Sure, I could get an iPad but just about all I would use it for would be an e-reader.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks