-

- - - - -

From Russia With Love: Do I have a glitch?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted October 28 2011 - 07:44 AM

At 35:33 when the shot changes from the oar to getting off the boat, James seems to jump forward as if a frame is missing. I checked the DVD and I could detect no jump. Can anyone tell me if you can notice the same thing on your copy? Also is this something player would do to compensate for a damaged disk? I was disappointed to find out that the James Bond sets have special packaging instead of just a case covering the individual titles and this disk is slightly damaged due to the packaging.

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   JoeBond

JoeBond

Stunt Coordinator

• 88 posts

Posted October 28 2011 - 11:59 AM

There is nothing wrong with your disc. I believe its a missing frame which I have noticed since the UE DVD was released back in 2006. Since the Blu-ray comes from the same source it also has the missing frame.

#3 of 8 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted October 29 2011 - 04:18 AM

Thanks! Coo that I got my answer from J. Bond.

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   Ray H

Ray H

Producer

• 3,481 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted October 30 2011 - 01:32 PM

With the early Bond films, missing frames are relatively commonplace. The very last scene of From Russia With Love has a particularly jarring cut that seems to remove a sexual innuendo of sorts.
"Here's looking at you, kid."

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   marsnkc

marsnkc

Second Unit

• 425 posts

Posted October 30 2011 - 02:09 PM

With the early Bond films, missing frames are relatively commonplace.

The worst I remember is in Dr. No, when JB is looking around Strangways' house, picks up a framed photograph and asks the Police Commissioner who the man with Strangways is. There's a jump there so jarring it looks like the victim of an out of control chain-saw. It's been like that since the first VHS, and I was hoping against hope that the Lowry edition would see it fixed. Does anyone have any idea why these frames went missing? It's not like they were at the end of a reel, or anything.

#6 of 8 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted October 30 2011 - 02:12 PM

Maybe mistakes in editing, or for pacing. I noticed some issues like this with a few movies from that time period.

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,146 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted October 30 2011 - 02:48 PM

If anyone can find it, there's a longish topic in the DVD section from years ago when this was noticed.
facebook.com/whotony

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   Stephen PI

Stephen PI

Second Unit

• 462 posts

Posted October 30 2011 - 07:30 PM

The worst I remember is in Dr. No, when JB is looking around Strangways' house, picks up a framed photograph and asks the Police Commissioner who the man with Strangways is. There's a jump there so jarring it looks like the victim of an out of control chain-saw. It's been like that since the first VHS, and I was hoping against hope that the Lowry edition would see it fixed. Does anyone have any idea why these frames went missing? It's not like they were at the end of a reel, or anything.

It has been this way since 1962! Editor Peter Hunt cut a few frames to speed the arrival of the police officer into the frame. If you study the shot of the girl at the radio being shot there are a few frames deliberately removed for dramatic impact, camouflaged by sound effects. Terence Young and Peter Hunt were unaware that they were pioneering with this style of editing forever. I think the line of dialog from Bond that is missing from the end of 'Russia' is "What a Performance", which was a remark from Red Grant, also cut, on the Orient Express.
Steve Pickard