What's new

From Russia With Love: Do I have a glitch? (1 Viewer)

At 35:33 when the shot changes from the oar to getting off the boat, James seems to jump forward as if a frame is missing. I checked the DVD and I could detect no jump. Can anyone tell me if you can notice the same thing on your copy? Also is this something player would do to compensate for a damaged disk? I was disappointed to find out that the James Bond sets have special packaging instead of just a case covering the individual titles and this disk is slightly damaged due to the packaging.

JoeBond

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joseph Myers
There is nothing wrong with your disc. I believe its a missing frame which I have noticed since the UE DVD was released back in 2006. Since the Blu-ray comes from the same source it also has the missing frame.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
With the early Bond films, missing frames are relatively commonplace. The very last scene of From Russia With Love has a particularly jarring cut that seems to remove a sexual innuendo of sorts.

marsnkc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Andrew
Ray H said:
With the early Bond films, missing frames are relatively commonplace.
The worst I remember is in Dr. No, when JB is looking around Strangways' house, picks up a framed photograph and asks the Police Commissioner who the man with Strangways is. There's a jump there so jarring it looks like the victim of an out of control chain-saw. It's been like that since the first VHS, and I was hoping against hope that the Lowry edition would see it fixed. Does anyone have any idea why these frames went missing? It's not like they were at the end of a reel, or anything.

Maybe mistakes in editing, or for pacing. I noticed some issues like this with a few movies from that time period.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
If anyone can find it, there's a longish topic in the DVD section from years ago when this was noticed.

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor
marsnkc said:
The worst I remember is in Dr. No, when JB is looking around Strangways' house, picks up a framed photograph and asks the Police Commissioner who the man with Strangways is. There's a jump there so jarring it looks like the victim of an out of control chain-saw. It's been like that since the first VHS, and I was hoping against hope that the Lowry edition would see it fixed. Does anyone have any idea why these frames went missing? It's not like they were at the end of a reel, or anything.
It has been this way since 1962! Editor Peter Hunt cut a few frames to speed the arrival of the police officer into the frame. If you study the shot of the girl at the radio being shot there are a few frames deliberately removed for dramatic impact, camouflaged by sound effects. Terence Young and Peter Hunt were unaware that they were pioneering with this style of editing forever. I think the line of dialog from Bond that is missing from the end of 'Russia' is "What a Performance", which was a remark from Red Grant, also cut, on the Orient Express.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks