-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Parenthood - Season 3 thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
243 replies to this topic

#1 of 244 Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,087 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted September 13 2011 - 03:24 AM

A friendly reminder that "Parenthood" again starts ahead of the pack, premiering tonight at 10/9c. As Greg said in last year's thread, "I believe it's my first returning show of the fall."

#2 of 244 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,998 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted September 13 2011 - 03:31 AM

Very much looking forward to it!

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#3 of 244 Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,836 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted September 13 2011 - 08:19 AM

The new push towards year-round new television took me up through the beginning of last August, but I haven't had much to watch on my DVR for the past month and a half. The drought is finally ending. Thanks for the heads up, Adam.

#4 of 244 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,665 posts

Posted September 13 2011 - 04:35 PM

Christine is huge! How long has she been preggers? Haddie, Haddie, Haddie....tsk! tsk!
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#5 of 244 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,066 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted September 13 2011 - 05:07 PM

C'mon. The coffee girl at Julia's office is pregnant and conveniently giving it up for adoption?

Amber can afford some artist's loft in a "trendy" part of town?

Oh.  And she's driving some vintage Fiat (or some other kind of quirky car)?  Well, she does have a high school education.  How about a job?  Does she have a job?  and she can move out of her grandparent's house, but her mother can't?

Oh.  And Christine is telling jobless Adam that she got offered a fulltime job and he can't handle it?

"But I've got to get my apartment key!"  But, it's my birthday!"  "I'm going to miss you!"

Oh.  Sarah worried her mother on her 40th birthday like Amber is worrying Sarah on her 40th birthday?

Like sands through an hour glass...so are the days of our life.

================================

My DVR shut down before the show was over.  The show started late for some reason.

Let me guess.  Adam turns down the beverage distribution job to go into business with Crosby?!?  Really?  Shocker.  And it IS just a guess.  When it cut off adam was just telling Crosby that he had been offered the job.  DId anything else happen that I missed?  I could try to guess...  Posted Image

================================

Just as I left it last season...I really want to care for these characters which I grew to love in season 1.  But the writers seem determined to keep me from achieving that goal.  Posted Image

I swear I will NOT constantly rain on the parade of the rest of you here who continue to like this show.  I will continue to give it a chance...but won't dump on everything I don't like.  Promise.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#6 of 244 David Weicker

David Weicker

Screenwriter

• 1,557 posts

Posted September 13 2011 - 05:10 PM

So, the cops arrive at a house full of underage drinkers, and the only one they arrest is a guy who threw a single punch at an obnoxious, pushy drunk?

#7 of 244 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,066 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted September 13 2011 - 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by David Weicker 

So, the cops arrive at a house full of underage drinkers, and the only one they arrest is a guy who threw a single punch at an obnoxious, pushy drunk?

I was thinking that in NYS the parents of the host, I believe, could be held liable in the event anything happened as a result of the drinking at the party.

It was amusing to watch all the kids peaceably going their own way while the cops led Alex out in handcuffs.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

#8 of 244 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,998 posts

Posted September 13 2011 - 05:19 PM

That was my big issue too. A bunch of high schoolers throws a kegger at his house and they call the cops to bust someone who throws a punch? There is NO WAY anyone calls the cops to get him. No way. Outside of a bunch of minor in possession tickets,the one hosting the party would get a stack of distribution of alcohol. No one is so stupid to call the cops for any reason. And press charges? For freeing a minor from a boozer up hs party? These are all minors.

trakt.tv

#9 of 244 Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,087 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted September 13 2011 - 06:08 PM

I'm midway through "My So-Called Life" on Netflix, another show Jason Katims worked on, which is just about as perfect a portrayal of adolescence as I've seen. So coming from a show that hits me like a punch in the gut regularly to the "Parenthood" premiere isn't really fair to the "Parenthood" premiere. That being said, it handled the two plotlines left dangling that I was most worried about as well as I could have hoped. Crosby's Hail Mary pass didn't work. Crosby and Jasmine are at a place where they're okay with each other, and seem to have a custody schedule worked out. This is how that situation should have resolved itself. It was great to see Crosby being Crosby again. I believed that this is how he would react to the circumstances he finds himself in. The other plotline that I'm glad they didn't trivialize is Adam's unemployment. The quandary of unemployment on television is that you can't leave your characters in a static place. If they were to represent the unemployment crisis realistically in real time, Adam would be unemployed for a season or more of episodes. Most shows dodge the whole thing by having a miracle opportunity that's perfect appear an episode or two after the character loses their job. "Parenthood" dodges it by using the time jump to capture Adam's unemployment. It's okay to have him unemployed for the better part of nine months if we as the audience don't have to sit through it. The havok it wreaked on his productivity, his ambition, his self-esteem and even his personal hygiene rang 100 percent true. Him not handling Kristina getting a full-time, albeit low-paying job rang 100 percent true to me too. He was always the provider. His flashy COO job meant they had the luxury of being a single-income household with him as the breadwinner. Even if he intellectually sees the necessity of her taking the full-time job, it still feels like a failing to him. So those were the things that worried me, and they came out excellent. I think Lauren Graham and Jason Ritter have tremendous chemistry, and I think Mark Cyr is a great character. I liked "The Event", better than most people, but I'm happy to have him back on here. I'm glad they're delving into the potholes of a relationship like Haddie's and Alex's. It was refreshing last season to see them avoid the obvious drama. But it's only natural at some point to explore the fallout of having the kind of past Alex does. Had the circumstances of his arrest been different, it would have played more effectively. On the meh side: Amber's apartment story would have played better if it weren't Amber and if it weren't the Bay Area. Yes, the place is a whole. Yes the place is in a sketchy neighborhood. But it's still one of the most expensive real estate markets in the country. A line about Zeek co-signing on the lease and a mention from Sarah about how she could have found a place in her budget in such a neighborhood, but didn't want to put Amber and Drew through another dive apartment would have helped sell it better. The car I had no problem with. I might be imagining it, but I thought she found it at the end of last season as a real beater, and Zeek was going to restore it. Now we see the finished product. If I did imagine it, I'm just going to fill in the blanks with that. On the complete eye-roll side: Julia and the coffee cart girl. Julia storylines are usually the hardest for me to swallow, but this was on a whole 'nother level. Setting aside the plot convenience of it, can you imagine what would happen if that went forward? What happens after the kid's born? Does coffee cart girl get a new job? If she doesn't, how can she sell coffee every day to the woman who's raising her baby? I can't imagine putting a child of mine up for adoption, but if I did, I think it'd have to be a clean break. Seeing the people who got my child every day Monday through Friday would be sheer torture. My recording also cut out, only with Sarah sitting on the front steps. NBC loves to stagger its start times to mess up DVRs. :(

#10 of 244 Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,836 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted September 13 2011 - 08:04 PM

Yep. Same end point for me. NBC couldn't bring "Kazooing with the Washed-Ups" or whatever in on time. I think I wasn't in the correct head space for this episode, but I reacted about like Mike. The first half hour, I was questioning whether I would even stick with the show. So much annoying snark. The latte girl, the school office worker, Amber's cute little barbs with her mom. Ugh. The characters were allowed to become human beings again for the most part after that, and the grilled corn looked good, and the Steely Dan sounded great, but nothing rose above mediocre. Not a good start, and especially not from the pen of the showrunner.

#11 of 244 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,066 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted September 14 2011 - 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by Greg_S_H 

...and the grilled corn looked good...

I like that comment, Greg!

Why?  Because my favorite parts of this show continue to be those small moments when the extended family interacts over life's routines.  Zeek and his grandson at the grill, Zeek giving Sarah a cane for a gag 40th birthday gift.  When the entire clan starts dancing at a family party (or some other impromptu moment).  Adam and Crosby sitting at the pancake house...  Haddie toting around Max...

There is a great cast which really blends well and which has staked out some amazing real estate in their characters.  But they need to be given interesting--and unpredictable--things to do.

And the situations laid out in last night's episode all bordered on trite and obvious.  In the case of Amber moving out on Sarah they took one of the most interesting dynamics of that situation--Sarah seeing her nest start to empty--and wasted it in a single exchange of bad dialogue rather than develop it into some meaningful lifestyle change for Sarah as she enters another new  decade of her life.  Maybe that's coming...but I am doubtful that they're up to making it work the way the storylines currently seem to be getting put together.  I'm still looking forward to getting a better look at Crosby's "fixer-upper."  Loved him telling his old-lady neighbor that he liked her cardigan and that he had one just like it!  Posted Image

On Amber's apartment.  It is only a "hole" upon initial viewing for the audience so we could share Sarah's reaction.  You watch.  It will look pretty darn good in the next episode or two and then it will transform into some Bohemian loft straight out of Home & Gardens.  Maybe we'll learn Amber has a secret life as a crack salesman.

And, Adam, I totally "get" that Adam feels emasculated in his inability to support his family.  And I liked the way they showed him lounging around the house taking care of his Mr. Mom duties and being bored.  I just felt that particular exchange between Christina and him was as obvious as has ever been written for stage or screen.

The piece of dialogue which made me laugh was when waitress Sandy stopped by Crosby's house unannounced and she meets Jabar.  She asks Crosby, "So this is why you didn't call me the other night?  Because you're a father?"  And he immediately answers--without skipping a beat-- "Yes.  That's why."  I was surprised and it actually took me a half-second to realize what Crosby had already surmised.  That she would melt with the thought that he's a caring, dedicated dad.  Maybe I was just a bit slow on the uptake (I have been married nearly thirty years and all).  But that was about the only part of the night that didn't seem like it was constructed in Scriptwriting 101.  Even though it is a gambit used by characters in a multitude of other comedy/dramas, it was presented well in this particular instance.

#12 of 244 Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,087 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted September 14 2011 - 05:27 AM

^ The Crosby domestic scenes were my favorite part of the whole episode. I just love that you take this character we've seen one way, with the houseboat and the cash flow problems and everything, and stick him in quintessential suburbia being a single parent for half the week -- and he's still somehow the same old Crosby. The Adam/Kristina exchange was obvious, but I believed it coming from that character in that circumstance so it didn't bother me.

#13 of 244 Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,836 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted September 14 2011 - 09:35 AM

I got a different thing from that Crosby scene. I thought he just wanted a one-night stand with the waitress and was done with her, and he just said he hadn't called because of Jabar because it was easier than saying, "Don't you get I'm not interested in anything further?" Doesn't mean I'm right. Probably my favorite part of the episode was Max and Alex. I like that Max says things that are embarrassing everybody else and Alex says, "No, he's right. I shouldn't be around alcohol. He's just looking out for me." That was good.

#14 of 244 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,998 posts

Posted September 14 2011 - 09:43 AM

Yeah, I enjoyed that exchange between Max & Alex as well, I thought that was well done.   Alex was trying to say: you're brother is making a good point (and providing me an out).    Alex knew a HS drinking party was a disaster.

I still roll my eyes though at how bad scriptwriting went into making that come into an issue, and I fear it's going to be half a season ongoing or longer.   If that's the case I'm going to be VERY disappointed.

Originally Posted by Greg_S_H 

I got a different thing from that Crosby scene. I thought he just wanted a one-night stand with the waitress and was done with her, and he just said he hadn't called because of Jabar because it was easier than saying, "Don't you get I'm not interested in anything further?" Doesn't mean I'm right.

Probably my favorite part of the episode was Max and Alex. I like that Max says things that are embarrassing everybody else and Alex says, "No, he's right. I shouldn't be around alcohol. He's just looking out for me." That was good.

trakt.tv

#15 of 244 Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,836 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted September 14 2011 - 03:04 PM

Another thing that bugged me, some of you might disagree with, but it seems unrealistic that a company would hire Kristina full time when she's about ready to give birth. I don't remember what kind of company she works for, but I think they'd be reluctant to expand her responsibilities when she could be taking off for a good while. They couldn't do anything about it if she was already full time, but they don't have to bump her up (and have to extend the benefits).

#16 of 244 Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,366 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted September 15 2011 - 06:39 AM

I wasn't watching with a very critical eye (or my red-flag-o-meter was on the fritz), but all of you have brought up some very good points about the script weaknesses. Hopefully things don't get much worse.

My main gripe from last season was the rush of Amber's downward spiral, but then it also meant one of the best moments between Mae Whitman and Craig T. Nelson. The journey there didn't feel necessarily earned, but I've allowed for the fact that sometimes I can't relate to choices people make from emotionally vulnerable places.

What was up with Hattie's hair in the first part of the episode? It looked like she got back from a week of back country camping.

I was forewarned of Mae Whitman's hairstyle change. I still prefer the dyed black, but I think the funky alterna-cut suits her character perfectly.

I read Crosby using his fatherhood as an excuse for not calling as him having no other convenient excuse, with the hope that his being a father would be a deal breaker for Sandie. Alas, it was not. :D

One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com

#17 of 244 Scott Hanson

Scott Hanson

Screenwriter

• 2,867 posts

Posted September 15 2011 - 07:32 AM

Yeah Crosby had no interest in that girl, so why would he want to use Jabar as an excuse to reel her in?  It was obviously an excuse (at least he was hoping) for why he didn't call.

I was okay with most of the episode, with the exception of the Alex "fight" for the same reasons already brought up.  No way any of that happens that way.

#18 of 244 Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,087 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted September 15 2011 - 07:43 AM

Another thing that bugged me, some of you might disagree with, but it seems unrealistic that a company would hire Kristina full time when she's about ready to give birth. I don't remember what kind of company she works for, but I think they'd be reluctant to expand her responsibilities when she could be taking off for a good while. They couldn't do anything about it if she was already full time, but they don't have to bump her up (and have to extend the benefits).

It all depends on the kind of company it is. I got the impression that it was a non-profit/activist company, which means that aside from low pay the decision makers are probably do-gooders. For whatever reason, I'd see them as more likely to overlook the cynical calculations required to keep a business affloat than a profit-driven non-ideological enterprise.

#19 of 244 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,998 posts

Posted September 15 2011 - 08:09 AM

Yeah, I took it that she was on a non-profit issue advocacy group.  In which case, her being a new mother might play right into the image of their organization they want.

trakt.tv

#20 of 244 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,066 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted September 20 2011 - 02:23 PM

In the first few minutes (before the opening credits)...

Max mainstreams, the coffee girl becomes indebted to Julia, Adam greenlight's Crosby's pie-in-the-sky business venture, and Sarah jumps in the sack with Amber's old teacher (like a giggly high-schooler herself).  And, we're off!  Posted Image