Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

East Coast Earthquake, August 2011

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 17,068 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted August 23 2011 - 06:54 AM

Looks like a 5.8er, scared the crap outta us, but we got out safe and orderly. Hope all of you are well and your families secure! http://news.blogs.cn...-d-c/?hpt=hp_c2 My family would be VERY proud of me. Surrounded by my Macbook Air, iPad, iPhone, Keys, Wallet and Kindle, I didn't grab ANY of them but took a strong motivational leadership role and got the folks on my floor out. AKA loudly and calmly shouted across an entire floor "Get Up, let's go, we are all outta here" =) Volunteer fireman and boyscout training for the win ;)

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Jay H

Jay H

Producer

• 5,655 posts
  • LocationPittsfield, MA

Posted August 23 2011 - 07:42 AM

Felt the aftershock from Albany around 1:50ishpm here in the Berkshires, the floor shook and the lights swayed a bit. Nothing to earth shattering, more of a "huh?" Jay
You are the crispy noodle in the vegetarian salad of life

#3 of 7 ONLINE   Stan

Stan

Screenwriter

• 2,251 posts

Posted August 23 2011 - 08:23 AM

Remember feeling the Seattle earthquake from a bit over ten years ago. I was 300 miles inland. The building I was in actually swayed as if we were on a large boat. Very strange feeling. We had aftershocks for days. Didn't feel them but they were tremendously loud, sounding like giant thunder claps. Glad you got out, just something falling from a shelf and hitting you can be very dangerous. Just a little eye-opener that no matter what, Mother Nature always wins.
Stan

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 17,068 posts

Posted August 23 2011 - 09:31 AM

Generally not a fan of Giz as of late, but this is terrific: http://gizmodo.com/5...e-united-states

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Jay H

Jay H

Producer

• 5,655 posts
  • LocationPittsfield, MA

Posted August 24 2011 - 07:17 AM

Sam, you sure you guys didn't think it was just somebody testing some field artillery, now???? :-) Jay
You are the crispy noodle in the vegetarian salad of life

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,536 posts

Posted August 24 2011 - 07:52 AM

We West Coasters were somewhat amused by all the "Oh My God! An earthquake!" reactions from the East Coasters. :)

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 17,068 posts

Posted August 24 2011 - 12:00 PM

Sam, you sure you guys didn't think it was just somebody testing some field artillery, now???? :-) Jay

Funny you mention that. A. I asked the guy behind me if he heard them blowing anything up and he replied "No but my monitor is shaking" at which point I got up and marshalled us all out. Things started crashing overhead about halfway down our exit, I thought the building was coming down on top of us. B. The idiots decided to start blowing stuff up on the range WHILE WE WERE STILL WAITING FOR THE ALL CLEAR and throughout the rest of the day!!!