What's new

List of Classic TV Series Near Completion (1 Viewer)

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
For those interested, I have compiled a list of series that are near completion- those with only 1 or 2 seasons left to be completed. Most of these are so-called 'stalled' shows, where it has been a while since the last release.

**This list is for all series from 50s - 90s**

NOTE: The number in brackets indicates how many seasons are left to be released. This is followed by the date of last release.

20th CENTURY FOX
Anything But Love (1)- 2007
The Big Valley (2 1/2)- 2007
The Bob Newhart Show (2)- 2006
The White Shadow (1)- 2006

MGM
Flipper (1964) (1)- 2010 (MOD)

PARAMOUNT
Becker (2)- 2012
Caroline in the City (2)- 2009
Dave's World (1)- 2009
Early Edition (2)- 2009
Family Ties (2)- 2009
Father Dowling Mysteries (1)- 2012
Have Gun, Will Travel (1)- 2011
Matlock (2)- 2012 Matt Houston (2)- 2010
Mork & Mindy (1)- 2007
Perry Mason (1.5)- 2012
SONY
Charlie's Angels (1)- 2009
The Flying Nun (1)- 2006
What's Happening Now!! (2)- 2007
UNIVERSAL
Alfred Hitchcock Presents (2)- 2012
Amazing Stories (1)- 2006
Baa Baa Black Sheep (1)- 2007
The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries (1)- 2007
The Rockford Files (1- TV Movies)- 2009
SeaQuest DSV (1)- 2008

WARNER BROS
Scarecrow & Mrs. King (1)
Night Court (2)- 2012 (MOD)
The Courship of Eddie's Father (1)- 2011 (MOD)

MPI HOME VIDEO

QUESTAR
The Joey Bishop Show (2)- 2004

S'MORE ENTERTAINMENT
Mr. Peepers (1) 2008

SHOUT! FACTORY
California Dreams (1)- 2011
Hazel (1)- 2012
Mad About You (2)- 2010
Mr. Ed (1)- 2011
Mr. Belvedere (2)- 2010
My Two Dads (1)- 2010
Paper Chase (2)- 2009
Parker Lewis Can't Lose (1)- 2010
Rhoda (1)- 2010
Simon & Simon (1)- 2012
Small Wonder (2)- 2010
Webster (2)- 2012

TIMELESS MEDIA GROUP
The Gene Autry Show (1)- 2012
The Virginian (2)- 2012
Wagon Train (2)- 2012

VCI ENTERTAINMENT
Burke's Law (2)- 2008

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Very nice list, Nick. I appreciate you creating this. Might I add one suggested title? I know it's a bit of a fudge based on your standard of 2 seasons or less, but Fox stalled out Big Valley with only 2 1/2 seasons left.

I thought that was truly one of the most lame things of all time. To release Season 2, Volume 1 and not even finish up the season? That's truly pathetic in my book.

Gary "again, thanks for the list" O.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard V
What about "Route 66", (1) 2009 ?
Yeah, I knew there was something missing that was nagging at me. That's the one! And I'm sure others will be able to add to the list as well.

Gary "I really wanted to see those last season episodes from Route 66" O.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Another one. Mr. Peepers (1), 2008. S'more Entertainment was the releasing company.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
"Greatest American Hero" shouldn't count because it has been made complete on DVD more than once.

"Arrest And Trial" from Timeless is lacking 12 of 30 episodes on DVD including the pilot.

"The Lawless Years" also from Timeless never got its final episodes released.

"Naked City" (Image) is a kind of odd case but if you go by the hour long episodes, 60 of 99 episodes released means we're talking about a fraction more than one full season by the standards of the day.

Let's not forget one of the longest abandoned titles, "The Joey Bishop Show" (Questar-2004) which has two more seasons from the revamped format that many consider the true beginning of the series though if you want to include the never syndicated first season that would make three.

"Flipper" (MGM-2010) has just one more season to go.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
One other Fox title that has just one more season to go, "The White Shadow" (last release 2006)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I'm an idiot for not mentioning "Burke's Law" when I was bringing it up in the other threads! In my case, the second season would be the true end of the run for me, and if "Amos Burke Secret Agent" never made it, I wouldn't care.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
PARAMOUNT
The Lucy Show (2) - 2011 (S5 rumored to be streeting in December per CBS Paramount's Facebook page)

MPI
Here's Lucy (2) - 2011 (Flyer in S4 box for upcoming S5, but no street date)

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
Thanks for the info guys, I have updated the list with the new additions.

I know it's a bit of a fudge based on your standard of 2 seasons or less, but Fox stalled out Big Valley with only 2 1/2 seasons left. I thought that was truly one of the most lame things of all time. To release Season 2, Volume 1 and not even finish up the season? That's truly pathetic in my book.

WOW?!

That is truly pathetic!

I was actually wondering when some studio was going to do this, I didn't know someone already had?! I was not aware other studios (aside from Paramount) actually put out these crappy volume releases where they split a season into two. I think this ranks at the top- abandoning a show half way through a release- I wonder why they decided not to release the 2nd half of the season?! Another series that is in the same category is Bonanza- Paramount released S2, V1 last December and have yet to release volume 2?! In my view the only justification for splitting a season in two is for the older series that tend to have more episodes per season, I think Paramount just does it to get more money from the consumer?!

"Greatest American Hero" shouldn't count because it has been made complete on DVD more than once.

I know this has already been released in its entirety by Anchor Bay as well as a complete series set from Mill Creek but I thought I would throw it in (as well as 21 Jump Street) since they appear to be continuing with the season set releases. To be honest, I am not sure why Mill Creek even bothered with the season sets since their complete series sets are quite cheap so I would think those interested would just take the plunge and buy the complete series?!

Regarding the releases from the indie studios, do you know if these companies still have the rights to these series?! Naked City appears to be out of print from what I found online, which is why I did not include it.

If anyone else comes up with others, just post the info and I will update the table. I cannot believe how many series there are that are close to being completed and are now stalled?! I hope this list will eventually start getting smaller, meaning these final releases start coming out.

BradD

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brad
These are not near completion but they do qualify as stalled.

Hill Street Blues (5) 2006 20th Century Fox

Night Court (6) 2010 Warner Home Video

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Peyton Place with almost 1 season released. 4 would have been left and I would even settle for 2 and one half seasons. Martin Petyon left the show things went down hill fast. I guess you would list Peyton under Fox now that Shout is done with the show.

The other series which i was very fond of. The show had two seasons released and only season 3 4 and i believe 12 shows from 5. The great 70's drama Family from Sony.

I also hope to see more from the Dick Cavett Library.

Joe Tor1

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Torcivia
Originally Posted by BradD
These are not near completion but they do qualify as stalled.

Hill Street Blues (5) 2006 20th Century Fox

Night Court (6) 2010 Warner Home Video
If we're talking "Stalled", please add Alfred Hitchcock Presents, Perry Mason, Gunsmoke, and Huckleberry Hound!

If not, pretend I never posted this! :)

ToddR2

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd Rutherford
Lots of missing stuff here. I'm sure that other posters will fill in the blanks. Joe, Hitch is alive and well in Australia: S5 was released last month, courtesy Madman, and will likely continue. According to Gary's "crystal ball" we'll be seeing more of Gunsmoke (thank goodness) and Perry Mason (meh) later in the year.

Joe Tor1

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Torcivia
Oh, yes... One Step Beyond qualifies, doesn't it?

Great news on Mason and Gunsmoke... Let's hope Hitch makes it to these shores!

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
Updated list,

ER has been removed as the final season will be released on July 12.

Also, Melrose Place Season 6, volume 2 will be released on July 19, that leaves one season still to be released. I guess that means it will join the others on the stalled list as Paramount likes to stall shows just as they are about to be completed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks