-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Buying a large TV online help--never done it before

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 JeffRome

JeffRome

Auditioning

• 9 posts

Posted June 21 2011 - 11:28 AM

Thinking of buying a 65 inch plasma online. Can't find the one I want locally and like the savings anyway. How does it work if you get a lemon? Do I generally have to pay return shipping? How about extended warranties--are they honored well in general? How does shipping work for extended warranty returns? THANKS!!!

#2 of 10 gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,692 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted June 21 2011 - 12:48 PM

You have to do your research on the retailer, the manufacturer, the model of the display and the warranty company.

Google the model number of the tv and see if there's any re-accurring problems. Do the same with the manufacturer. If the on-line retailer has a brick and morter store check the BBB in their city. Read the fine print on the tv's warranty and of the extended warranty. Leg work.

And most of all make sure the on-line retailer is an authorized dealer. You can verify this on the manufacturers website.

I'd feel more comfortable dealing with a known retailer like Amazon, Onecall, Vanns, Dell, etc. But it doesn't mean there won't be problems. But you can reduce the risk.

"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#3 of 10 JeremyR

JeremyR

Second Unit

• 404 posts
  • LocationKansas City

Posted June 21 2011 - 03:56 PM

Onecall sent me a sub with a bad LED light on it, and wanted me to pay to ship to return it to them.  As it was only the light, I just decided to keep it.  But I haven't ordered a damn thing from Onecall.com since then.

#4 of 10 gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,692 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted June 21 2011 - 11:02 PM

Well, there's still Amazon, Vanns and Dell Posted Image .

"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#5 of 10 Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson

Screenwriter

• 2,151 posts

Posted June 22 2011 - 12:29 AM

Costco is a good choice.  The shipping is usually free, and if there's a problem you can return it to a local B&M.  (As a bonus they have a great return policy.

#6 of 10 Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton

Screenwriter

• 2,864 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted June 22 2011 - 01:00 AM

Costco does have great deals and a great return policy.

The one thing you have to be careful of is that on occasion, Costco (and Sams, Wal-Mart, sometimes even Best Buy) get very slightly altered versions of the products (be sure to check the product number VERY carefully).  The changes are not very obvious but can sometimes be features that you specifically wanted or needed.

Modifying the product allows them to offer it at a reduced cost, while providing some measure of protection for other retailers who are not required to price match, since it's a different model.

I'm not AT ALL discounting Costco (I have a membership myself and would definitely check them out if I was in the market for anything) but you have to be careful and diligent in your research.

Best of luck!

Are you new to the Home Theater Forum? Stop by the New Member Introductions area and introduce yourself! See you there!

#7 of 10 CB750

CB750

Screenwriter

• 1,035 posts

Posted June 22 2011 - 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Jason Charlton 

Costco does have great deals and a great return policy.

The one thing you have to be careful of is that on occasion, Costco (and Sams, Wal-Mart, sometimes even Best Buy) get very slightly altered versions of the products (be sure to check the product number VERY carefully).  The changes are not very obvious but can sometimes be features that you specifically wanted or needed.

Modifying the product allows them to offer it at a reduced cost, while providing some measure of protection for other retailers who are not required to price match, since it's a different model.

I'm not AT ALL discounting Costco (I have a membership myself and would definitely check them out if I was in the market for anything) but you have to be careful and diligent in your research.

Best of luck!

A couple of years ago Costco was offering a great deal on a 52" Sony LCD but a check of the model # revealed it was a slightly different version.   Looking at the spec's it was hard to tell the difference.    A Sony Store manager told me the Costco version had a different picture processing engine.   But not all of the Sony sets that Costco sells are special runs.  As Jason says you have to check the model numbers.

Two months ago I got a good deal on a Nikon DSLR.   $250 less than anywhere else I could find it and it came with stuff not normally bundled with the camera at other places.   Costco has a 90 day return policy on all electronics for any reason not just defects. 

#8 of 10 JeffRome

JeffRome

Auditioning

• 9 posts

Posted June 22 2011 - 09:33 AM

Thanks. I'm torn between one of the Samsung PN7000s or one of he 60 inch LGs.

I'll check out Costco--I assume you have to be a member to order online. Thanks.

#9 of 10 TheBat

TheBat

Producer

• 3,007 posts

Posted June 22 2011 - 10:30 AM

I bought my panasonic tcp50gt25 tv set from amazon. I have heard that some people had nightmare with the company that brought the tv. mine was very nice and no problems. it certainly worked better then I had thought. it was my first time ordering a tv from online company. the online deal was too good to let go. 999 for the price of the tv. best of luck on what you do.

Jacob

#10 of 10 LailaSmith01

LailaSmith01

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted June 22 2011 - 02:17 PM

amazon and ebay are good sites to buy. but still id recommend going to an actual store for an expensive tv.Posted Image

................................................................................................................................................................

Pet Gates, FAST SHIPPING Wide Dog Gates, Tall Dog Gates, Free Standing Pet Gate