What's new

help remembering a kid's book series (1 Viewer)

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
When I was a kid growing up in the 1960s there was a series of paperback sci-fi novels for young readers about an astronaut.
The hero was a lot like Major Matt Mason, but he had a different name.
There were several paperbacks in the set, one of them had "Moon" in the title.

There might have been a bubble-gum card set that tied in with him.
Does anyone have a clue?

Richard

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Could it be Chris Godfrey of UNEXA?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_Base_One

Less likely:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_of_Mutiny

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Those are very close to what I'm looking for.

I'd forgotten about Lester del Rey's Mission to the Moon and Moon of Mutiny. Wonderful books, and very popular sci-fi, but not the ones I'm trying to remember. The titles are very close. I never read the Chris Godfrey stories by Hugh Walters although I'd seen them around in different covers as paperbacks. Excellent suggestions, Greg, my thanks for looking those up.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Okay, I found it!

Found it by searching for books with the same words in the title that Greg_S_H suggested.

Something to throw my money away on next payday.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
What was it, just in case it might be something I'd enjoy. I know the books I posted skew young, but they look fun.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Lester del Rey is the first real SF author I ever read. I discovered The Runaway Robot and Tunnel Through Time when I was in grade shool. I hope Richard posts the name of the book he found, as I'm dying to know, now.

I was thinking that he might have Issac Asimov's series of juveniles about David "Lucky" Starr, Space Ranger, in mind. Lucky Starr and the Moons of Mercury fits the "moon" clue. The main character functioned as a kind of "Lone Ranger in space" in the early books, and a secret agent in the later ones. The novels were originally published in the 50s (a TV series was planned, but Rocky Jones, Space Ranger beat Asimov to the punch) but they were still in print in paperback in the early 60s. I don't remember any bubble gum card tie-ins.

Regards,

Joe

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Hey, while people are in SF mode ... I asked this a couple of years back and didn't get an answer. I'm looking for a SF short story, geared torward adolescents, where the plot entailed a controlling society where a boy goes out of his way to systematically act anti-social. The two major plot devices are that males and females are chemically tied together for mating/marriage (society picks appropriate matches), and the fact that each individual is given their "lifelong earnings" at age 18. The reason the boy goes anti-social is so that he can get out of the checmical mate-matching ... (just in case) ...

So that he can marry the girl he loves and gives up his money to do so. Which by this point in this scoiety is unheard of.

It's not a great story. At the time I wanted my daughter to read it. Now it's just driving me nuts.

Nyrath

Auditioning
Real Name
Winchell Chung
Mr. Anderson, I do not know that story, but I am asking my friends. One person thinks it is a short story by A. E. van Vogt but does not remember the name. In that story, society matches younger men with older women since women live longer. The chemical mate-matching enforces monogamy. The hero lives on funds and gifts provided by others because he has acquired some celebrity for his antics.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
That's the one! Thanks very much! And it makes sense because I was a van Vogt fan, so I probably have some of his short story collections. I thought I ran through my library, but there must be one on a back shelf I missed. Doh!

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
I'll have to read that Van Vogt story.

As for my space adventures, I was referring to the Mike Mars novels (1961-66) by Donald Wollheim.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
MAN am I glad you posted that. Because even with your first hint toward van Vogt, I couldn't find it in my collection or on any internet plot summary. (And I was going to be too embarrassed to ask again.) I definitely have one of the books in your link (The Best of A. E. van Vogt), I remember the cover well (pretty creepy). So now I just have to dig deeper into the dusty shelves. Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks