Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

RS - 232 control.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 of 2 OFFLINE   ovidius

ovidius

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted June 10 2011 - 12:29 AM

Reading my 47LG6000 LCD TV user manual i found that I can control my TV turn On and Off from  my HTPC via RS-232 connection.

Can anyone tell me how it is done? I want the TV to function as a monitor turning on and off with the HTPC.

I would be gratefull for any advice.

#2 of 2 OFFLINE   Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter

• 1,699 posts

Posted June 11 2011 - 01:18 PM

Somewhere on the LG site, you should be able to find a list of RS232 commands.  If you're lucky, LG uses a straightforward sort of control language, something like ABBBCCCD (A= header, B=command, C=Variable, D=end-of-block.)  If you're unlucky, it'll be like some other equipment I've been stuck dealing with where you get a command string like AAABBBCCCDDDEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEFFFG where it's A=Header, B=Type of string (command/status), C=Command, D=variable, E=pad out to 32 characters, F=calculated check-sum, G=end-of-block.

Then you need an RS-232 output from the PC.  You might need to get an external, a USB-> RS232 or an Ethernet to RS232.  (Comtrol makes some nice ones.)  Wire it all together, and then figure out where, when, and how you get your HTPC software to spit out the power commands.

The only site showing anything that might be useful is a UK site, and right now, it's dog-slow across the Atlantic.

Leo