What's new

Looking for a HT system for a big CRT TV (1 Viewer)

jacatone

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark Whitlock
I have one of the last 36 inch Sony CRT TVs and wanted to add separate speakers for it. It's got the composite connectors on the back as well as s-video. What would be the best way to go with something like this? Thanks.

jacatone

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark Whitlock
The picture quality on the old CRTs for basic cable is better than anything I've seen lately. Hook basic cable up to one of these big screen LCDs and the picture looks like crap.

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
Mark,

Casey answered your question you are going to have to purchase a receiver and speakers. However, before you go investing in a bunch of new audio equipment you need to check to see if your old Sony has a audio line out or at least a 3.5 mm headphone jack, with out a audio output of some sort you will not be able to connect your TV to a receiver unless your basic cable comes with a cable box that has audio outputs.

jacatone

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark Whitlock
I guess I'll go with one of these acoustic bars that sit on top of your TV. They have the little red and white RCA audio jacks that'll work. Anyone have a good recommendation on one?

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I have a low end Vizio for my bedroom, and it's marginally better than the TV speakers for the 'normal' audio, plus it adds reasonable sub-level effects.

Make sure you check the inputs for the sound bar. Some only have a stereo/RCA input, and some only have an optical input. It seems most only have the optical, which won't help you. You might consider the ZVOX, which uses an RCA input.

As far as the picture quality on basic cable, it may be that you are still using a standard definition cable box converter. The problem isn't the new TVs, it's that when the standard def signal is stretched to fill the additional pixcels of the HD TVs it becomes too blurry. Usually your cable company will give you a HD cable box free if you ask. (And most cable and OTA signals are broadcast in HD these days.) If that's not the problem, then you might want to consider a smaller (37-40 inch) 760 HD TV (not a 1080); this will reduce the amount of resolution expansion that occurring.

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
I have one of those last of the CRT's made by Sony. While that set had Composite and Component inputs for VCR, DVD's and Cable the only audio output was a 3.5mm head phone jack. Before you go and buy anything you need to find out if you can connect it to your old set or a cable box.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks