Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

The Magnificent Ambersons (finally!) coming this Fall - with possible caveats

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
25 replies to this topic

#1 of 26 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,397 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted May 12 2011 - 12:50 PM

Well, it looks like The Magnificent Ambersons is finally making it to DVD in the US this Fall. Blu-ray.com has posted an image (see it here: http://www.blu-ray.c...-Blu-ray/24038/ ) of the Citizen Kane Blu-ray box, which clearly comes with a DVD of The Magnificent Ambersons. Personally speaking, I never buy these big box releases (don't need all that extra packaging), so hopefully The Magnificent Ambersons DVD (and a regular Blu-ray packaged version of Citizen Kane) will be available separately for purchase in some way (store/online exclusive, after 6 months delay, etc.).

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#2 of 26 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,922 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted May 12 2011 - 02:03 PM

Can't wait for the Warner announcement to find out what all is in that box set.  There appears to be three Kane discs along with the Ambersons disc.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#3 of 26 OFFLINE   mdnitoil

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor

• 783 posts

Posted May 12 2011 - 02:52 PM

Looking forward to this.  I'll wait for the proper announcement, but I'd be surprised to read that Warner is holding folks hostage and forcing them to get the big set.

#4 of 26 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,793 posts

Posted May 12 2011 - 02:58 PM

Great news, though the picture of the back of the Ambersons DVD on Amazon.com revealed absolutely no extras--surprising given its renown.

Originally Posted by mdnitoil 

Looking forward to this.  I'll wait for the proper announcement, but I'd be surprised to read that Warner is holding folks hostage and forcing them to get the big set.

I would to, especially since they pulled through with the Kubrick set

#5 of 26 OFFLINE   jdee28

jdee28

Screenwriter

• 1,008 posts

Posted May 13 2011 - 01:04 AM

After a whole decade waiting for The Magnificent Ambersons, hopefully they've found some additional footage, anything, and don't release the film barebones..

#6 of 26 OFFLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 2,054 posts

Posted May 13 2011 - 01:34 AM

2012 is the 70th Anniversary of Ambersons, I bet we don't see stand alone copies of it until then.  The DVD is probably an extra bonus for people who buy the ultimate edition of Citizen Kane.  Maybe when Ambersons comes out they'll include a DVD of Journey into Fear as an extra.

#7 of 26 OFFLINE   battlebeast

battlebeast

Supporting Actor

• 831 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta

Posted May 13 2011 - 06:07 AM

So excited for this DVD! :D Another for my Colelction of Best Picture nominees... I almost have 'em all!!! :D

There are several interviewes with crew members on TCM.com, so I could see these as being extras... i was going to use them for my own Ambersons DVD... I will hold off now untill I see a press release.

lets not forget that Fox "held us hostage" with Cavalcade, so I would not be the least bit surprised if Warners did it too.

I recently watched all 485 Best pictures (plus about 10 others films) in 365 days! www.oscarmovs.com

#8 of 26 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,922 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted May 13 2011 - 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by battlebeast 

lets not forget that Fox "held us hostage" with Cavalcade, so I would not be the least bit surprised if Warners did it too.

I have better thoughts about Warner's than Fox.  Warner at least released America, America a few months after it was in the Fox Kazan set, where as Fox has yet to release Wild River, Man On A Tightrope and Viva Zapata.  And they also released The Singing Nun separately after they included it in a set of previously released holiday DVDs.  Yes the Fox is really a dog.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#9 of 26 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,793 posts

Posted May 13 2011 - 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by jdee28 

After a whole decade waiting for The Magnificent Ambersons, hopefully they've found some additional footage, anything, and don't release the film barebones..

The image of the reverse side of The Magnificent Ambersons  advertised on Amazon.com reveals 88 minutes.

#10 of 26 OFFLINE   Berkshires

Berkshires

Stunt Coordinator

• 92 posts

Posted May 15 2011 - 01:10 PM

It looks like it's a bare bones release of the 88 minute version. That's fine by me. I hope the search for additional elements will eventually yield a more complete version, but in the meantime, I'm glad to have the opportunity to own it. I'm sure Warner's restoration will be excellent. I expect this will get a stand-alone release within six to twelve months of the amazon exclusive combo pack. My hope is that Journey Into Fear will get a release in 2012 as well. More Welles is better than less Welles.
"Miss Garbo should be kept away from the bed entirely." - Joseph L. Breen

#11 of 26 OFFLINE   ShowsOn

ShowsOn

Second Unit

• 253 posts

Posted May 15 2011 - 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Berkshires 

It looks like it's a bare bones release of the 88 minute version. That's fine by me. I hope the search for additional elements will eventually yield a more complete version, but in the meantime, I'm glad to have the opportunity to own it. I'm sure Warner's restoration will be excellent.

I expect this will get a stand-alone release within six to twelve months of the amazon exclusive combo pack.

My hope is that Journey Into Fear will get a release in 2012 as well. More Welles is better than less Welles.

Well, I"m dissapointed that this is going to be a barebones release after we have waited so long for it. Even at 88 minutes it is still better than most other films made in the 1940s.

Journey Into Fear will more than likely end up on Warner Archive, remastered if we are really lucky.

#12 of 26 OFFLINE   jdee28

jdee28

Screenwriter

• 1,008 posts

Posted May 16 2011 - 02:05 AM

If it's barebones, why then was The Magnificent Ambersons not released circa 2004? All that wait for nothing.

#13 of 26 OFFLINE   battlebeast

battlebeast

Supporting Actor

• 831 posts

Posted May 17 2011 - 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by ahollis 

...Yes the Fox is really a dog.

Good point!

I recently watched all 485 Best pictures (plus about 10 others films) in 365 days! www.oscarmovs.com

#14 of 26 OFFLINE   battlebeast

battlebeast

Supporting Actor

• 831 posts

Posted May 19 2011 - 01:43 PM

Movies Unlimited has a pre-order listing for Ambersons, $16.99 US, but does NOT give any details about bonus features, etc. Good news! It won't be ONLY with Kane!

#15 of 26 OFFLINE   DavidBC

DavidBC

Second Unit

• 401 posts

Posted May 20 2011 - 06:16 AM

Warner simultaneously released the two new-to-dvd Tracy & Hepburn films separate from the box earlier in the year, so hopefully they would do the same with Ambersons.  I'm cautiously optimistic until an official announcement. .... Although the lack of features for a picture with this kind of back-story is disappointing.
I don't care for modern films. All crashing cars and close-ups of people's feet.
-Lillian Gish

#16 of 26 OFFLINE   battlebeast

battlebeast

Supporting Actor

• 831 posts

Posted May 20 2011 - 07:10 AM

I preordered Ambersons and I'm pretty sure that's all I am getting, so I'd say it's all but confirmed. Movies Unlimited has the preorder up.

#17 of 26 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,922 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted May 20 2011 - 10:27 AM

[quote]Originally Posted by battlebeast [url=/forum/thread/311360/the-magnificent-ambersons-finally-coming-this-fall-with-possible-caveats#post_3813806]

#18 of 26 OFFLINE   battlebeast

battlebeast

Supporting Actor

• 831 posts

Posted May 21 2011 - 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by ahollis [url=/forum/thread/311360/the-magnificent-ambersons-finally-coming-this-fall-with-possible-caveats#post_3813884]

:D Yup. And, I just got A Thousand Clowns and Naughty Marietta will be arriving any day now. :D So, I am down from 485 to around 30ish. Woot!

Ambersons> It's dissapointing that Warners (who distribute for Tuner) couldn't use some of the interviews they have about this film, mnay good videos on TCM.com.

And as for length, I belive all the "other" footage is now lost; The studio (RKO?) edited the film behind Welle's back when he was off in South America scouting locations for a forthcomming picture; they most likely destroyed the negatives for the silver content.

#19 of 26 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,922 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted May 21 2011 - 10:16 AM

[quote]Originally Posted by battlebeast [url=/forum/thread/311360/the-magnificent-ambersons-finally-coming-this-fall-with-possible-caveats#post_3814102]  That lost footage could show up.

#20 of 26 OFFLINE   Ray H

Ray H

Producer

• 3,481 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted May 21 2011 - 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by ShowsOn 
Well, I"m dissapointed that this is going to be a barebones release after we have waited so long for it. Even at 88 minutes it is still better than most other films made in the 1940s.

I've been really disappointed with WHV recently. They've been cranking out Blu-rays of their catalog titles without making the effort of producing any new supplements for films long overdue for SEs (The Man Who Would Be King, Excalibur, Barry Lyndon, Lolita).

Now the Magnificent Ambersons, which we've all waited so long for is probably barebones and DVD-only? :(

"Here's looking at you, kid."