What's new

Looking for SIDE surround speakers (1 Viewer)

KMAN

Auditioning
Real Name
Kelly
Frist I want to say Hi ! And I am a beginner to 7.1 I just redid my family room entertainment setup(in the basement). And I am looking to buy some what reasonable price for the side surround speakers. My old setup was 5.1. Here is what I have now Pioneer VSX-1325-K / Receiver Polk Audio (RTI10) / Front speakers ???????? /side surround speakers Paradigm Titans / Rears Kenwood 10505W 150 W / Self Powered Subwoofer Samsung UN55C6500 55" LED HDTV I was looking at the BOSE double cube speaker for their size. Here is some pics of what I am limited to. Thanks

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Another pair of Paradigms would be better but probably too large. I would get some Polk satillite speakers instead of Bose. They would match the fronts a little better. What center speaker do you have? It really needs to match the fronts as closely as possible. Matching the surrounds isn't as criticle but your winding up with a bunch of different brands. Speakers do sound different from one to another and your getting away from a cohesive sounding system by adding too many different brands. Nice room, though.

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
Welcome Kelly

I pretty much Ditto what Gene says. As far as Bose Cubes I would suggest that you make them your last choice as any part of a HT speaker system.

1. You do realize that ALL Bose cubes must be connected through the Bose Bass Module, failure to do so could damage your receiver unless it is designed to handle a 4 ohm or lower speaker.
  2. Most receiver auto room calibration software will not recognize Bose Speakers because they are connected through the Bass Module. You will have to calibrate the Bose speakers manually
  3. While timbre matching your surrounds and rear speakers is of less important than your front stage I can't think of any worse match to any other speaker than a Bose cube.

In looking at your set up you do realize that in a 5.1 system the surround speakers should on the side and just to the rear of your prime viewing area, and in a 7.1 system they should be added to the rear..http://www.dolby.com/consumer/setup/speaker-setup-guide/index.html

KMAN

Auditioning
Real Name
Kelly
Thanks I didnt know about the bose might harm my system. I was thinking About these Polk Audio FXIA4 Speakers and here is a the seating area .

I am thinking moving the rears back some more.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
As I understand it, bi-pole/di-pole speakers like the Polk Fx's are supposed to be the side surrounds and placed so the are directly to the side of the listening position. Your ear is supposed to be right in the middle. But room configuration usually prevents things from being ideal. And putting the Back speakers farther back looks to be a good idea since that looks like a pretty big room.

KMAN

Auditioning
Real Name
Kelly
I probably will get the polk Audio ones to keep some constancy. But I was wondering about these Wharfedale DIA 10.DFS.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks