-

Photo

Super Duper Tron set

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Tony J Case

Tony J Case

Screenwriter

• 1,699 posts

Posted February 04 2011 - 05:52 AM

So I saw this over on Topless Robot (here: http://www.toplessro...tron_legacy.php ) that the new Tron comes in a ridiculously overkill five DVD set. . .  which would be fine if it wasnt just four copies of Tron 2.

Tron: Legacy on 3-D
Tron: Legacy on Blue-ray
Tron: Legacy on DVD
Tron: Legacy on digital copy
Tron, the original one

Serioulsy, we get Tron Legacy, Tron Legacy, Tron Legacy, Tron Legacy,and Tron (plus a toy)? I loved the movie, but that's just plain stupid! Talk about wasteful.

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 4,015 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted February 04 2011 - 06:33 AM

If Disney would just set up their 3D BDs so they would allow 2D watching like everyone else does, that would cut it down by one disc. Making the Digital Copy downloadable would cut it down by one more. Personally, I like the DVD copy so I can watch in the bedroom, but I think this should be a 4-disc set:

Tron: Legacy 3D (2D compatible) BD

Tron BD

Tron: Legacy DVD

Tron DVD

Download codes for digital copy.

Was that so hard?

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton

Screenwriter

• 2,927 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted February 04 2011 - 07:12 AM

It's my understanding that according to the Blu-Ray 3D spec ALL movies branded with the Blu-Ray 3D logo ARE backwards compatible with 2D hardware.

Exactly WHY Disney would choose to include BOTH in the same package is unclear, though it wouldn't surprise me one bit if consumer confusion over 3D vs. 2D is at least a part of it.

Honestly, IMO this whole 3D thing happened at a bad time.  There is still a significant portion of the population that is confused as to the differences between DVD and Blu-Ray so the idea of adding a third media type that requires entirely new hardware for at least two of the three main home theater components is ludicrous.

Are you new to the Home Theater Forum? Stop by the New Member Introductions area and introduce yourself! See you there!

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   FreyTheater

FreyTheater

Stunt Coordinator

• 110 posts
  • LocationAmish Country - Lancaster County, Pennsylvania

Posted February 04 2011 - 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Jason Charlton 

It's my understanding that according to the Blu-Ray 3D spec ALL movies branded with the Blu-Ray 3D logo ARE backwards compatible with 2D hardware.

Exactly WHY Disney would choose to include BOTH in the same package is unclear, though it wouldn't surprise me one bit if consumer confusion over 3D vs. 2D is at least a part of it.

Honestly, IMO this whole 3D thing happened at a bad time.  There is still a significant portion of the population that is confused as to the differences between DVD and Blu-Ray so the idea of adding a third media type that requires entirely new hardware for at least two of the three main home theater components is ludicrous.

The studio can opt to block the 2D capability of a 3D Blu-ray disc if they so choose, it is done in the disc encoding somehow, so that you cannot view the 3D disc in a 2D player... why they would do that is beyond me, though, some sort of marketing ploy, or like you said, to alleviate confusion, I suppose...

Come FEEL a great movie in the FREYMAX 3D Theater!

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Tony J Case

Tony J Case

Screenwriter

• 1,699 posts

Posted February 04 2011 - 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Stephen_J_H 

If Disney would just set up their 3D BDs so they would allow 2D watching like everyone else does, that would cut it down by one disc. Making the Digital Copy downloadable would cut it down by one more. Personally, I like the DVD copy so I can watch in the bedroom, but I think this should be a 4-disc set:

Tron: Legacy 3D (2D compatible) BD

Tron BD

Tron: Legacy DVD

Tron DVD

Download codes for digital copy.

Was that so hard?

Really. If they wanted to inflate the disc count, why didn't they add in the deluxe soundtrack or something instead of another copy of the same flick?