What's new

Super Duper Tron set (1 Viewer)

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
So I saw this over on Topless Robot (here: http://www.toplessrobot.com/2011/02/okay_even_i_dont_want_that_much_tron_legacy.php ) that the new Tron comes in a ridiculously overkill five DVD set. . . which would be fine if it wasnt just four copies of Tron 2.

Tron: Legacy on 3-D
Tron: Legacy on Blue-ray
Tron: Legacy on DVD
Tron: Legacy on digital copy
Tron, the original one

Serioulsy, we get Tron Legacy, Tron Legacy, Tron Legacy, Tron Legacy,and Tron (plus a toy)? I loved the movie, but that's just plain stupid! Talk about wasteful.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
If Disney would just set up their 3D BDs so they would allow 2D watching like everyone else does, that would cut it down by one disc. Making the Digital Copy downloadable would cut it down by one more. Personally, I like the DVD copy so I can watch in the bedroom, but I think this should be a 4-disc set:

Tron: Legacy 3D (2D compatible) BD

Tron BD

Tron: Legacy DVD

Tron DVD

Download codes for digital copy.

Was that so hard?

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
It's my understanding that according to the Blu-Ray 3D spec ALL movies branded with the Blu-Ray 3D logo ARE backwards compatible with 2D hardware.

Exactly WHY Disney would choose to include BOTH in the same package is unclear, though it wouldn't surprise me one bit if consumer confusion over 3D vs. 2D is at least a part of it.

Honestly, IMO this whole 3D thing happened at a bad time. There is still a significant portion of the population that is confused as to the differences between DVD and Blu-Ray so the idea of adding a third media type that requires entirely new hardware for at least two of the three main home theater components is ludicrous.

FreyTheater

Stunt Coordinator
Amish Country - Lancaster County, Pennsylvania
Real Name
Troy Frey
Originally Posted by Jason Charlton

It's my understanding that according to the Blu-Ray 3D spec ALL movies branded with the Blu-Ray 3D logo ARE backwards compatible with 2D hardware.

Exactly WHY Disney would choose to include BOTH in the same package is unclear, though it wouldn't surprise me one bit if consumer confusion over 3D vs. 2D is at least a part of it.

Honestly, IMO this whole 3D thing happened at a bad time. There is still a significant portion of the population that is confused as to the differences between DVD and Blu-Ray so the idea of adding a third media type that requires entirely new hardware for at least two of the three main home theater components is ludicrous.

The studio can opt to block the 2D capability of a 3D Blu-ray disc if they so choose, it is done in the disc encoding somehow, so that you cannot view the 3D disc in a 2D player... why they would do that is beyond me, though, some sort of marketing ploy, or like you said, to alleviate confusion, I suppose...

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Stephen_J_H

If Disney would just set up their 3D BDs so they would allow 2D watching like everyone else does, that would cut it down by one disc. Making the Digital Copy downloadable would cut it down by one more. Personally, I like the DVD copy so I can watch in the bedroom, but I think this should be a 4-disc set:

Tron: Legacy 3D (2D compatible) BD

Tron BD

Tron: Legacy DVD

Tron DVD

Download codes for digital copy.

Was that so hard?

Really. If they wanted to inflate the disc count, why didn't they add in the deluxe soundtrack or something instead of another copy of the same flick?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks