Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

What level of studio revisionism are you in favor of for blu-ray?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,366 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted January 13 2011 - 01:40 PM

I've created a poll to see how much studio tampering forum members are comfortable with. You can check as many answers as you like.

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,053 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted January 13 2011 - 01:58 PM

I don't think major revisions by a studio should happen.  However, a studio should work to restore original color, quality and remove damage done to the content by all means.   The first time I saw "Vertigo" as remastered, I was amazed at how good it looked in comparison to versions prior to DVD.    I think the idea is: how did people originally see it or how was it intended... because that isn't really a revision as more of a correction to the way it was originally intended.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,366 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted January 13 2011 - 02:07 PM

I don't consider fixing print damage or wear as revisionism. However, removing natural artifacts that were part of the original presentation, such as film-grain, is. I'm not making a judgment about these revisions, just asking how far should the studio go?

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,537 posts

Posted January 15 2011 - 12:13 PM

The goal should be to reproduce the look of the original film as closely as possible, including grain.