Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Best free firewall for free antivirus?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 of 18 OFFLINE   bikerchick1498

bikerchick1498

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted December 13 2010 - 02:42 PM

I am using Win XP, and it comes with a firewall, which I have never really done anything with.

friend got a virus, even though he had Norton on his system, and later was told that a firewall would have helped him.I heard that if you are using free anti-virus, that it is better to use the free Zonealarm firewall

then the WinXP firewall.

#2 of 18 OFFLINE   Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm

Lead Actor

• 6,885 posts

Posted December 14 2010 - 12:47 AM

Was your friend's Norton out of date?

First thing - check with your ISP - they may offer something as part of their package.  It is in their best interest to have their customers protected.

I use Comcast Cable for my internet at home and they include the complete Norton suite with updates for every PC connected through their network, all you have to do is download and install it.  Previously with other ISPs I've had similar experience.

Philip Hamm
Moderator Emeritus

#3 of 18 OFFLINE   Jay H

Jay H

Producer

• 5,655 posts
  • LocationPittsfield, MA

Posted December 14 2010 - 01:54 AM

I use Comodo which is free, have no idea if it is good or not but I haven't had any problems so far...

Jay

You are the crispy noodle in the vegetarian salad of life

#4 of 18 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,048 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted December 14 2010 - 02:20 AM

Microsoft Security Essentials.  http://www.microsoft...tyessentials    it doesn't expire after a year, etc. it is good forever, updates frequently, uses minimal system resources and works more effectively then some paid antivirus.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#5 of 18 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,651 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted December 14 2010 - 03:46 AM

I used Zone Alarm for several years, until it gave me some problems running applications on one of our two home PC's. Now I just use the built-in Microsoft Firewall (Windows 7) along with an external firewall / wireless router. Even with the external firewall, I still like to have a software firewall of some sort running on the PC for additional protection.

For anti-virus, I have never been a fan of Norton's products. They are resource hogs, and cause more issues than they prevent sometimes. I've been using the free version of AVG for several years now with no problems.

#6 of 18 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Executive Producer

• 14,438 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted December 14 2010 - 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by mattCR 

Microsoft Security Essentials.  http://www.microsoft...tyessentials    it doesn't expire after a year, etc. it is good forever, updates frequently, uses minimal system resources and works more effectively then some paid antivirus.

Posted Image  That's what I've been using this year, highly recommended, quietly effective and won't cost you a penny.

I couldn't wait to uninstall Symantec antivirus, which btw refused to leave my PC without a fight. :)

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#7 of 18 OFFLINE   Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker

Screenwriter

• 1,047 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted December 14 2010 - 04:36 PM

There is some good information here on security:

http://www.mechbgon..../security2.html

Along with AV software (MSE, Nod32, Kaspersky, etc) use the built-in firewall included in Windows. However, from what I seen, 3rd party software firewalls tend to cause more problems then they solve.

You definitely want to be behind a internet router using NAT and a SPI firewall, which I believe pretty much all routers do these days. Even if you aren't sharing your internet connection at home with more than 1 computer, it is still a good idea to put yourself behind one of these things.

You may also want to check out ShieldsUp! to test your system - https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Also on that site, if you are really interested in computer security, check out the Security Now! podcast:

https://www.grc.com/securitynow.htm

-Keith

As far as I'm concerned, it's a damned shame that a field as potentially dynamic and vital as journalism should be overrun with dullards, bums, and hacks, hag-ridden with myopia, apathy, and complacence, and generally stuck in a bog of stagnant mediocrity. - Hunter S. Thompson, 1958, from cover letter he wrote for a newspaper job.

#8 of 18 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,916 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted December 14 2010 - 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by mattCR 

I couldn't agree more.  I've been using it on all my machines for almost a year.  It works great and the price is right!

#9 of 18 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 14,274 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted December 15 2010 - 05:13 AM

This antivirus rigmarole is one of the reasons I bought a Mac three years ago.

(Yes, I'll be that guy. :) )

#10 of 18 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,916 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted December 15 2010 - 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by DaveF 

This antivirus rigmarole is one of the reasons I bought a Mac three years ago.

(Yes, I'll be that guy. :) )

Matt, I thought I heard something.  Did you hear anything?  Posted Image  Just giving you a hard time Dave Posted Image.  I don't want to turn this into Mac vs. PC, but personally, regardless of which platform you use, I would recommend that anyone use antivirus and a firewall to protect it.  The first line of defense is common sense, but occasionally things get through that.

#11 of 18 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 14,274 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted December 15 2010 - 09:01 AM

:)

Not free, but I believe every home router has a hardware firewall built-in. I have my Airport Extreme Base Station for firewall use. If you've got that, is there any need for a software firewall?

For Windows, I've been using AVS Free for years for an anti-virus. I have it installed in Windows XP on my Mac's BootCamp / Parallels partition.

#12 of 18 OFFLINE   nolesrule

nolesrule

Producer

• 3,084 posts
  • LocationClearwater, FL

Posted December 16 2010 - 07:43 AM

Router firewalls only protect from incoming dangers between the network and the internet. Only requested incoming packets are allowed be default.  But they are useless in protecting computers on a network from themselves or other infected computers.

#13 of 18 OFFLINE   Bryan X

Bryan X

Producer

• 3,469 posts

Posted December 16 2010 - 10:46 AM

I use free Avast! antivirus.

#14 of 18 OFFLINE   Eric_L

Eric_L

Screenwriter

• 1,991 posts

Posted December 16 2010 - 11:46 PM

I have used F-Secure - which is provided free by my internet provider.   My folks do also.    I never open attachments and so far have had no problems on my computer.  My kids computer and my parents computer have both received unwanted programs (virus/spyware) and I can only guess they are opening files and/or installing freeware which they should not. 

I have found that once these programs are installed F-Secure becomes useless and so does any other remedy I can find.  (Spybot, AVS, etc).   I most often have to do a system restore or nuke the hard drive to get rid of the unwanted program.  This is frustrating to say the least...

#15 of 18 OFFLINE   Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell

Screenwriter

• 1,979 posts

Posted December 17 2010 - 11:51 AM

I have a router firewall plus I use the built-in Windows firewall. I also use Symantec for anti-virus and Spybot S&D and Ad-Aware for malware, spybots, etc...

#16 of 18 OFFLINE   janiceshaxton2u

janiceshaxton2u

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted December 31 2010 - 01:55 AM

I have used the Zonealarm Firewall for a long time now. I do think it works great with anti-virus, and I think that it makes my computer more secure.Posted Image

#17 of 18 OFFLINE   Kail89

Kail89

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted February 02 2011 - 01:43 AM

What about me,i use ProteMac NetMine http://www.protemac.com/NetMine/
(for mac).It's firewall for Mac.It's helps me a lot,for protect my Mac.

#18 of 18 OFFLINE   berter

berter

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted February 16 2011 - 09:50 PM

yeah, I prefer to use ProteMac NetMine ( www.protemac.com ) too...