What's new

Timeless Media Group - Episodes you have actually watched compared to how many you've purchased (1 Viewer)

Kathy Melson

Auditioning
Real Name
Kathy
Mmmm, well, I guess I would have to say, "To each his own", BUT, my question would be, why would someone( who obviously knows that they won't be watching all of the episodes within a reasonable amount of time) go to great lengths to continue spending money on more? I know that 'I' don't have that kind of money to just buy something and then not get full use out of it. IMO, ( just my opinion, mind you), people who buy all of those, and then have a hard time keeping up with watching them, are more obsessed with collecting as many as they can, instead of watching the ones that they have. But again, to each his own. As long as I'm not the one who is paying for it, then people can do what they want. But you sure wouldn't catch me doing that. I have bills that have to be paid every month, plus there's a lot of other things in my life that are more important, like 'saving' money in cases of emergencies, or for when I retire, or can no longer work.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Kathy Melson said:
Mmmm, well, I guess I would have to say, "To each his own", BUT, my question would be, why would someone( who obviously knows that they won't be watching all of the episodes within a reasonable amount of time) go to great lengths to continue spending money on more? I know that 'I' don't have that kind of money to just buy something and then not get full use out of it. IMO, ( just my opinion, mind you), people who buy all of those, and then have a hard time keeping up with watching them, are more obsessed with collecting as many as they can, instead of watching the ones that they have.
I guess I could easily fit into the category that you are questioning since i probably have a good 10 years worth of content backlogged for future viewing (movies and TV @ two hours a night). My reasoning for accumulating such a collection this way?
- I got into this hobby later then some (just the last 5 years). As a result, the opportunity was there to buy many items that had been previously released but at discounted prices, making it easier to initially grow a collection rapidly as a lower overall cost.
- Being 51, I find that older TV shows not only have a nostalgia factor but are of more interest to me then the bulk of programming that comes out today.
- Having already missed out on some titles that are now out-of-print with now inflated pricing on the secondary market or just not available at all, I don't want to miss out on titles that may be of interest in the future. Many of the titles I've accumulated were blind-buy's that have since turned into favorites. If I only picked up new titles when I was caught up I'd probably miss out on many new possibilities because they may no longer be available. This can be especially true by titles released by smaller distributors who have limited licensing timeframes.
- It is hard to predict the future for continued DVD releases with streaming now available, or how the model will work from a streaming standpoint (cost and availability of content). The DVD ownership model works for me now so I seen no reason it can't later in my life. It is easier for me to accumulate this content now then to have to in my leaner retirement years.
- Lastly, because I can (fortunately).

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Great response, Brad. My reasoning for buying so many of the b/w titles, and especially Timeless titles, mirrors all your points. When I can pick up sets at big discounts I'm okay with amassing material that I may not be able to watch for a while. That's fine by me because I'm looking not only at the present, but at the future as well. I'm especially keen and aware that things can go OOP and that's a big reason why I won't wait too long to purchase sets I have an interest in.

Gary "I've got plenty on my back-burner for future viewing - and I'm glad I do because I'm not at all sure how long physical media like this will be available" O.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Collecting is exactly what it is many of us collect movies and tv shows just like others collect dolls, action figures, baseball cards, etc. I mean how often can you actual look at those but to the collector of those items there is a joy in both collecting and owning it. Some may say those types of items are an investment as they may go up in value but I think that is really just a justification for it. I mean how many people that collect those items actually sell that many if any of those items.
With TV and Movies you can watch them and if you get tired of owning any of them there is always e-bay or giving them to friends or family. I have collected since the 80's with VHS and Laserdisc. I have sold many of my old VHS and Laserdisc collections for a large profit. Continued sales of the old collections. pays for most of my DVDs with continued sales of the old collections.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
smithb said:
I guess I could easily fit into the category that you are questioning since i probably have a good 10 years worth of content backlogged for future viewing (movies and TV @ two hours a night). My reasoning for accumulating such a collection this way?
- I got into this hobby later then some (just the last 5 years). As a result, the opportunity was there to buy many items that had been previously released but at discounted prices, making it easier to initially grow a collection rapidly as a lower overall cost.
- Being 51, I find that older TV shows not only have a nostalgia factor but are of more interest to me then the bulk of programming that comes out today.
- Having already missed out on some titles that are now out-of-print with now inflated pricing on the secondary market or just not available at all, I don't want to miss out on titles that may be of interest in the future. Many of the titles I've accumulated were blind-buy's that have since turned into favorites. If I only picked up new titles when I was caught up I'd probably miss out on many new possibilities because they may no longer be available. This can be especially true by titles released by smaller distributors who have limited licensing timeframes.
- It is hard to predict the future for continued DVD releases with streaming now available, or how the model will work from a streaming standpoint (cost and availability of content). The DVD ownership model works for me now so I seen no reason it can't later in my life. It is easier for me to accumulate this content now then to have to in my leaner retirement years.
- Lastly, because I can (fortunately).
You hit the nail on the head Brad!
Especially the part about what's being passed off as "Programming" these days!

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
wapld5.jpg
on all 3 posts, Brad, Gary, Randy.

As for keeping track of viewings in the collection, it's probably nerdy :laugh: but it's easy for me. I just update my excel file once every couple months, update it with what I've viewed the past 2 months, then print out the file where it stays on a counter at home. Updating takes about 15-20 minutes once every 2 months.

As for buying shows that I don't watch in a reasonable time, I guess that depends on one's definition of a reasonable timeframe. I rotate my viewings so I have started to view, or are in procss of viewing, nearly every show that I have on the shelf. I think I have 3 shows out of 150 in the viewing roatation that I haven't started watching the show.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Good stuff all the way around from Brad, Randy, William and Jeff. I'm with all you guys!

Gary "I know of at least one more neat b/w release coming from Timeless - but it's not scheduled until early next year" O.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
It's like you guys reached into my head and sucked out my thoughts! :D I'd much rather have a overly large collection from which to pull viewing entertainment than rely on broadcasting/streaming/renting to fill my needs. Much of what I truly like and purchase are titles that haven't been seen on TV in years and sometimes decades! Like my record and CD collection it allows me to watch *what* I want, *when* I want, without commercial interruption, and unedited/time compressed (for most programs).
And on topic: Since my last post in this thread I've picked up a few more Timeless titles but sadly have only watched a couple of episodes of Wagon Train. I picked up a 6 disk, 24 episode "sampler" set as sort of a blind buy and can't decide if I like it or not. I'd not watched it much during its original run but without some research I don't know if that's because I just didn't care for it or if there was something I liked better on a alternate channel.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks