-

Photo
- - - - -

Timeless Media Group - Episodes you have actually watched compared to how many you've purchased

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
122 replies to this topic

#1 of 123 BrianHass

BrianHass

Stunt Coordinator

• 63 posts

Posted October 19 2010 - 08:50 AM

Episodes you have actually watched compared to how many you've purchased. Take Timeless Media Group for example. I love the fact that they are releasing so many classic TV shows and I really want to show my support by purchasing them.  But, I've noticed I am getting way behind on my watching.

Here is my list of what I've purchased from TMG compared to what I've watched:

(# watched out of # of episodes in collection)

Alias Smith and Jones - 5 out of 50
Branded - 6 out of 48
Brenner - 5 out of 15
Checkmate - 8 out of 70
Classic TV Western Collection - 14 out of 40
Deputy, The - 7 out of 76
Frontier Circus - 3 out of 26
Guns of Will Sonnett - 23 out of 50
Laramie - 7 out of 28
Laredo - 11 out of 56
M Squad - 51 out of 117
Oregon Trail - 2 out of 14
Tales of Wells Fargo - 11 out of 68
Tall Man - 2 out of 6
Texan, The - 14 out of 70
Virginian - 9 out of 60
Wagon Train - 16 out of 87
Whispering Smith - 4 out of 25

So basically I've watched 198 episodes out of 906.  I'm not really stressing it as I like the fact that I'll have episodes to watch for a long time.  But it does cause me to stop and think about all the episodes I'm buying and will I have time to ever watch all of them.  And this is only my TMG collection.  I have hundreds of shows I collect! Let's not even bring up MillCreek!

So how do your numbers add up?

One person I'm really curious to hear from is Gary OS.  I always look forward to his posts and he seems to purchase a lot of classics like I do.

I read this forum daily but don't post often, so I'm hoping this will start a fun dialogue.

#2 of 123 Bert Greene

Bert Greene

Second Unit

• 408 posts

Posted October 19 2010 - 11:40 AM

Well, for my part, I've indeed viewed every episode to the Timeless sets "M Squad," "Laredo," "Arrest and Trial," "Wells Fargo" (both sets), "Virginian" s-1, "Wagon Train" s-1, "Brenner," "Frontier Circus," "Tate," "Whispering Smith," "William Tell," and probably a few others that I can't think of at the moment.  Still need to buy the big "Checkmate" set.

The ones I'm still working on include "Wagon Train" (color season) and "The Virginian" s-2.  Being longer, 90-minute shows, it's sometimes more difficult to find the time for them.  Somehow I also got sidelined on "The Texan," and need to get back to it.  Not that any of this bothers me, as I do like to have a certain amount of material always 'in reserve.'  I do, however, manage to watch every bloomin' episode of every set I purchase.  I get my money's worth out of the darned things, no matter what!

#3 of 123 Guest_silverking_*

Guest_silverking_*

Posted October 19 2010 - 09:37 PM

I have several shelfloads of sets to watch, a lot of Timeless, Paramount, Network etc.

Some of it several years old ! At present, material seems to be coming in faster than my ability to view it.

I do tend to try & watch in a structured way, One episode per week of any given series.

I also like to try & watch a programme on the same day as it was originally broadcast to add to the nostalgia effect. I find it difficult to watch several episodes of the same series in one go & like a bit of variety in my viewing -

Thus Monday Wagon Train / Jim Bowie (both now nearly all watched)

Tuesday - Avengers  (S1) / Four Just Men

Wednesday -Combat (on S5) / Twilight Zone (on S2)

Thursday - Rawhide (on S3) / Branded (S1)

Friday - Route 66 (S1) / Brit Comedy

Saturday- Film

Sunday - Mission Impossible (S2) / Sherlock Holmes (Ronald Howard set).

If I have other things to do on a particular night it just rolls over to the following week.

Once I have viewed a complete season of any particular show, I will give it a break for a few months.

On the whole, though slow , this works for me & I do get through sets eventually.

#4 of 123 Regulus

Regulus

Screenwriter

• 2,222 posts

Posted October 20 2010 - 12:28 AM

In the four years since I began this Hobby, My DVD Collection now totals 341 differant TV Series! I calculate at the rate I watch these Shows It will take me to approximately the year 2024 before I finish watching all of them! I started this hobby because I got fed up with what the Networks are showing. Posted Image I run my own TV Network today! (Which I call LSN - The Little (Stinker) Network "TV The Way it used to be- ONLY BETTER!") Posted Image

DVD Collection Inventory: TV Episodes - 36,333 :biggrin: ( 746 Series ) :biggrin: Movies - 2,395   :B)   Serial Chapters - 1,201 :B)

#5 of 123 smithb

smithb

Screenwriter

• 1,536 posts

Posted October 20 2010 - 03:47 AM

I can say I have finished:

- Branded

- Gun's of Will Sonnett

- Tate

- Restless Gun

- Texan

I have started:

- Wagon Train

- Arrest & Trial

- Checkmate

- M-Squad

- Laredo

- Lawless Years

- William Tell

Holding back on until some more series get completed

- Johnny Staccato

- Tales of Wells Fargo

- Tall Man

- Virginian

- Whispering Smith

#6 of 123 SimonTemplar

SimonTemplar

Stunt Coordinator

• 73 posts

Posted October 20 2010 - 04:14 AM

Have Timless given up the practice of removing the title sequence from each episode and presenting it only when you put the sic in the player? I got their Third Man set and when I saw that I was putting off buying more of their stuff.

ST

#7 of 123 benbess

benbess

Screenwriter

• 1,831 posts

Posted October 20 2010 - 05:52 AM

The only set I have from Timeless is The Virginian, season 1. I've watched 9 of the 30 episodes, but since each one is a short 75 minute B Western, it really can take a while to get through the episodes. I suppose I shouldn't buy season 2 until I've watched at least half of season 1.

It's a good show though! Nice transfer too. And they sure don't make em like this anymore...

#8 of 123 smithb

smithb

Screenwriter

• 1,536 posts

Posted October 20 2010 - 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by SimonTemplar 

Have Timless given up the practice of removing the title sequence from each episode and presenting it only when you put the sic in the player? I got their Third Man set and when I saw that I was putting off buying more of their stuff.

ST

I don't recall any of the 17 different series I've purchased doing that. I've seen where on most of the PD Bonanza sets that they either remove or insert different music because of copyright issue. That wouldn't appear to be the case with the "Third Man" if they played the original title sequence even once. I don't know why it was done for that particular show. My guess would be that maybe they didn't have the title intro's for that show based on the orints they were provided. Others may be able to elaborate. What I can say is that is not a common practice of Timeless from what I have seen.

#9 of 123 Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,554 posts

Posted October 20 2010 - 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianHass 

So how do your numbers add up?

One person I'm really curious to hear from is Gary OS.  I always look forward to his posts and he seems to purchase a lot of classics like I do.

I read this forum daily but don't post often, so I'm hoping this will start a fun dialogue.

Brian, I'm humbled that you want to hear from me.  I'll do my best to look over my Timeless collection this evening and report back.  I'm not organized enough to keep a computerized list of the dvds I watch, but it would be a neat thing to do in order to keep track of my viewing.

Gary "I'll try to post my findings later tonight - if not then definitely tomorrow" O.

"Do not challenge supernatural unless armed with sword of truth"
                                             ...CHARLIE CHAN AT TREASURE ISLAND

#10 of 123 Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,554 posts

Posted October 21 2010 - 09:59 AM

OK, while I'm not 100% positive about the exact numbers of episodes watched on every set, I know I'm right on with most of them.

Alias Smith & Jones Season One - 15 out of 15

Arrest & Trial Pts. One and Two - 9 out of 18

Branded - 48 out of 48
Brenner - 12 out of 15
Best of Checkmate Season One - 12 out of 12

Best of Checkmate Season Two - 12 out of 12

Cimarron City - 10 out of 12
Classic TV Western Collection - 8 out of 40
Deputy, The - 12 out of 12
Frontier Circus - 14 out of 26
Guns of Will Sonnett - 50 out of 50

Johnny Staccato - 1 out of 27 (but I'm going to love this series)
Laramie - 13 out of 28
Laredo Season One - 11 out of 30

Laredo Season Two - none yet

Lawless Years Season One - 21 out of 27

Loretta Young Show Season One - 30 out of 30

Loretta Young Show Season Two - 30 out of 30

Loretta Young Show Season Three & Four - 2 out of 31 (I'm ashamed that's a far as I've gotten, but to be honest I bought this for the 2 Christmas episodes and those are all I've watched thus far)
M Squad - 38 out of 117 (gotta pick this one back up a bit)

Restless Gun - 24 out of 24

Riverboat - 6 out of 15
Tales of Wells Fargo - 25 out of 46
Tall Man - 6 out of 15

Tate - 13 out of 13
Texan, The - 37 out of 70

U.S. Marshall - 10 out of 10
Virginian - 6 out of 60

Wagon Train - Going West - 12 out of 12
Wagon Train: The Color Season - 18 out of 48

Wagon Train: Season One - 2 out of 39

Whispering Smith - 17 out of 25

William Tell - none yet

I've enjoyed almost every set I've gotten from Timeless to at least some degree.  A few have been tough to get through, but I'm not sorry I bought any of them.  The only series I really didn't warm up to that Timeless is ready to release in a complete set is The Deputy.  Don't know why I didn't cotton to it, but I didn't even though I watched all the eps on the first release.

Gary "Timeless has really done vintage TV fans a great service in bringing us so many wonderful series" O.

#11 of 123 BobO'Link

BobO'Link

Screenwriter

• 1,579 posts
  • LocationMid-South

Posted October 21 2010 - 04:50 PM

I don't believe I own any series from Timeless.  I guess mainly due to not being a big fan of westerns, which seems to be their forte.

With what I own, I've never numbered the episodes of series I've watched vs. unwatched.  It's enough for me to know I've seen all the episodes of over 300 seasons, ~120 unwatched seasons with 6 programs in current rotation, and more on the way... Overall it's not *too* bad with a roughly 3/1 watched/unwatched TVonDVD ratio.  Even then if I manage to watch 4 different shows a night for 5 nights a week and squeeze in a few other series in a "summer debut/fill" type schedule (typical network TV scheduling with 1 season per year) it'll still take ~4 years to watch what's currently on the unwatched shelves.  And that doesn't count the hundreds of movies I've watched and hundreds more in the unwatched pile.  Man... reality sucks... but at least I'm not a slave to on-air TV any more!  My wife thinks I'm nuts with all the DVDs... but I think she's nuts for watching/putting up with cable/broadcast TV.  Posted Image

I keep 3 half-hour and 3 hour shows in rotation to provide variety.  Many times I'll watch a full DVD of episodes before putting in something different to avoid having to sit through unskippable copyright notices, etc. *again*.   There's no real rhyme or reason to what I watch and when other than putting a series on hiatus for a month or so after watching a season and squeezing in a few movies per week.  Some unwatched sets/seasons are several years old.

#12 of 123 BrianHass

BrianHass

Stunt Coordinator

• 63 posts

Posted October 23 2010 - 12:19 AM

Thank you all for the replies.  Gary, your list reminded me that The Lawless Years is a TMG release.  I thought it was released by another company for some reason, and I've wanted it for a while. I've been looking for it to go on sale and I curently see that it's on sale at Amazon for $11.99. Johnny Staccato is also on sale for $21.99.   So I'll order both right now to get free shipping. Seeing other people's lists always seem to get me spending money. 

I've also wanted several other TMG releases, but since they aren't complete seasons or series, and TMG has been rereleasing several releases I've been holding off buying them.  Such as Arrest & Trial, Cimarron City, Restless Gun, Riverboat, and The Tall Man. Hopefully we'll see some rerelease for these soon.

Gary, didn't I read that you purchased Checkmate the complete series recently? You don't have it listed above.   I'm loving that release even though I've only watched 9 episodes.  You really should buy The Deputy, The Complete series as well. The First Season has some good episodes and I believe there weren't many on the 12 episode set.

Anyone else looking forward to Soldiers of Fortune? I've never seen an episode but it sounds like a series I would enjoy.

#13 of 123 smithb

smithb

Screenwriter

• 1,536 posts

Posted October 23 2010 - 01:07 AM

Anyone else looking forward to Soldiers of Fortune? I've never seen an episode but it sounds like a series I would enjoy.

Checkmate complete is currently on its way (I have the prior releases so I wasn't in any hurry to buy but the latest price seemed pretty good). Soldiers of Fortune (became interested because of John Russell from Lawman playing on Encore) is next on my list. Haven't decided on Deputy yet, the price at Sam's is pretty good, which has increased my interest. I don't have a Sam's membership but a bother-in-law does down in Florida that could pick it up for me.

#14 of 123 TV_Fan

TV_Fan

Second Unit

• 288 posts

Posted October 23 2010 - 01:22 AM

I'm not much into westerns, so the only Timeless release I have is Tales Of The Unexplained/Behind The Veil The Complete unaired series starring Boris Karloff.  I've watched the first 4 episodes so far and I am very pleased.  This was an impulse buy for me at my local Shop Rite which has out their DVD sets getting ready for Halloween.

#15 of 123 Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,554 posts

Posted October 23 2010 - 02:18 AM

Quote:

Gary, didn't I read that you purchased Checkmate the complete series recently? You don't have it listed above.   I'm loving that release even though I've only watched 9 episodes.  You really should buy The Deputy, The Complete series as well. The First Season has some good episodes and I believe there weren't many on the 12 episode set.

Brian, I had been waiting for a good price on the Checkmate set and after ordering it from Amazon I just received it yesterday.  So that does change my list ever so slightly.  But since I didn't have it in hand when I created my list above I decided to hold off including it.

I'll get the Soldiers of Fortune (a blind buy for me too), but I'm going to wait for a good price on that one as well.  The Deputy is one I'll probably get down the road when it goes on a steep discount (as almost every TMG release does after only a few months on the market).  I know Sam's has it at a great price right now, but I'm going to hold off and see if I can pick it up at an even lower price later on.

Gary "Timeless is really doing a fantastic job getting these older series out" O.

#16 of 123 ChrisALM

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor

• 539 posts

Posted October 23 2010 - 05:07 AM

I have completed watching all episodes of the following:

Best of Checkmate Season 1 - 12 episodes

Best of Checkmate Season 2 - 12 episodes

Laredo Season 1 Part 1 - 15 episodes

Laredo Season 1 Part 2 - 15 episodes

Laredo Season 2 Part 1 -  13 episodes

Laredo Season 2 Part 2 - 13 episodes

Whispering Smith - 25 episodes

The Texan - 70 episodes

The Virginian Season 1 - 30 episodes

Tate - 13 episodes

I am currently watching Checkmate: The Complete Series and have completed 24 of 70 episodes.

I recently purchased The Lawless Years, but have not watched any episodes yet. 0 of 27 episodes

#17 of 123 BrianHass

BrianHass

Stunt Coordinator

• 63 posts

Posted October 23 2010 - 07:42 AM

I guess I do have a few more TMG releases I left off.

Red Skelton Holiday Collection - all of the episodes and extras  -

Red Skelton - America's Clown Prince - 2 out of 10 e - 

A Haunting: Seasons 1, 2, 3, & 4 - 14 out of 39 - 1     

Tales of the Unexplained: From Behind the Veil - 3 out of 12

Yeah, the price at Sam's Club for The Deputy right now is $39.88.  Which is a very good price and I took advantage of one.  But, if Sam's continues to stock TMG dvds, then it will come through at a better price.  I believe they just restocked Wagon Train The Color Season and Laredo The Complete Series for $29.88 each.  Which is $20 less a piece than when they were first stocked.  The Deputy, I would expect, will get to this price eventually.

I also didn't pick up Tate because Mill Creek released 12 of the 13 episodes.  Couldn't see spending the money for 1 episode. Does anyone know if the TMG episodes are better quality than Mill Creeks?

I did try to purchase The Tall Man releases from Amazon Marketplace.  The individual I purchased from sent me the 1st disc not realizing the set listing on Amazon is the 3 disc set.  He refunded my money and told me to keep the 1st disc.  That's why I only have 6 episodes.  (1 from the Classic TV Western Collection).  I emailed TMG if they had any plans for more Tall Man episodes and they told me they didn't so I may try to pick up the 3 disc set again.  

#18 of 123 Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,554 posts

Posted October 23 2010 - 08:01 AM

Quote:

I did try to purchase The Tall Man releases from Amazon Marketplace.  The individual I purchased from sent me the 1st disc not realizing the set listing on Amazon is the 3 disc set.  He refunded my money and told me to keep the 1st disc.  That's why I only have 6 episodes.  (1 from the Classic TV Western Collection).  I emailed TMG if they had any plans for more Tall Man episodes and they told me they didn't so I may try to pick up the 3 disc set again.  

And that's a real shame because THE TALL MAN has a Christmas episode I don't have - "Billy's Baby."  Posted Image

Gary "that particular episode has alluded me for years - much like Kimble alluding Gerard" O.

#19 of 123 MCCLOUD

MCCLOUD

Second Unit

• 271 posts

Posted October 23 2010 - 10:29 AM

Yes, SAMS has some great deals on Timeless DVDS.  I recently bought Laredo The Complete Series from SAMS for $29.88. I believe AMAZON sales Laredo The Complete Series for around $92.00!  Great deal at SAMS.  I haven't bought Branded The Complete Series yet but I may in the future if my SAMS still has it.  I believe Branded The Complete Series is now around $13.88  at my SAMS.  SAMS has some good deals and I encourage anyone interested in Timeless or other companies DVDS to check out SAMS.  You may find a good deal and save some money!

God Bless!

Robert

#20 of 123 bigroomforum1

bigroomforum1

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted October 25 2010 - 11:10 AM

Hello, I am a new member of the forum, and I work for TImeless Media Group. It is both enlightening and chastising to see all of your comments about our product.

We hope to keep them coming, and  to make your viewing more pleasurable as we do.

In the meantime, we are looking for 16 mm prints of the following TV westerns,and I thought you might have some leads I could tap into.

Outlaws

26 Men

The Loner

Stagecoach West

Knowing that some of you are collectors, I hope you will have some ideas. Thanks, and pardon the commerce on the site; we are trying to bring out shows that no longer exist in the studio vault system, and to continue to release studio-approved western tv series.