-

Jump to content



Photo
- - - - -

aspect ratio with projectors ?


This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 f1nuts

f1nuts

    Stunt Coordinator

  • 63 posts
  • Join Date: May 04 2007

Posted October 13 2010 - 05:14 AM

  i re-vamped a spare room and  set up the projector ( newbie ), widescreen  james bond quantum of solice was used to mark out my screen.....


got the screen and room painted etc....excellent  the picture was spot on the  painted screen


watched a couple of movies, feeling good it all worked out  amazingly for an amatuer !


threw in avatar....and the image is huge !..fits the sides perfect, but the top and bottom of image are way over the  16:9 screen i painted  using the  bond movie as template


so do i need to  paint the largest aspect ratio as my screen to solve that..


then use some kind of  blocking out  for regular 16;9 ?


or ?......advice appreciated



#2 of 7 Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton

    Screenwriter

  • 2,880 posts
  • Join Date: May 16 2002
  • Real Name:Jason Charlton
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted October 13 2010 - 07:22 AM

Films come in different aspect ratios.  Quantum of Solace was filmed at an aspect ratio of 2.4:1, which as you discovered is a "wider" aspect ratio than Avatar, which was filmed at 1.85:1.  (For the purposes of this discussion, we'll say that's the case, although books have been written about Avatar and aspect ratios...).


If that weren't confusing enough, when put on disc media like DVD or Blu-Ray, each of these films is letterboxed at their native aspect ratios within a 16:9 encoded video stream on the disc.


In short - you're probably best off painting a screen at a true 16:9 aspect ratio - that is, the width should be 1.78 times the height (probably much closer to the area you saw when watching Avatar).


With a 16:9 screen:

- HD programing will fill the screen entirely.

- old standard-def content (4:3) will be "pillarboxed" with black bars on each side

- Most movies shot at 1.85:1 will fill the screen (or come REALLLLY close to filling the screen).

- Movies shot at wider aspect ratios (2.35:1, 2.4:1,etc.) will have black bars at the top  and bottom.


There's lots of other minutia related to aspect ratios, and different ways to accommodate the variations (like CIH setups), but in the end, the fact remains - different movies have different aspect ratio and no solution will work for ALL movies.


Are you new to the Home Theater Forum? Stop by the New Member Introductions area and introduce yourself! See you there!


#3 of 7 f1nuts

f1nuts

    Stunt Coordinator

  • 63 posts
  • Join Date: May 04 2007

Posted October 13 2010 - 08:18 AM

thanks jason for your informative info,


so i should try to match the height which i saw in avatar, that was the portion that overlapped the top and bottom of the 16;9 i have it sized at.


then come up with a creative way to screen off that portion  when not needed, as most the movies i own seem to  fit perfectly  on the 16;9.


thankyou




#4 of 7 cocol

cocol

    Auditioning

  • 9 posts
  • Join Date: Oct 13 2010

Posted October 14 2010 - 05:30 PM



Good infor.

Originally Posted by Jason Charlton 

Films come in different aspect ratios.  Quantum of Solace was filmed at an aspect ratio of 2.4:1, which as you discovered is a "wider" aspect ratio than Avatar, which was filmed at 1.85:1.  (For the purposes of this discussion, we'll say that's the case, although books have been written about Avatar and aspect ratios...).


If that weren't confusing enough, when put on disc media like DVD or Blu-Ray, each of these films is letterboxed at their native aspect ratios within a 16:9 encoded video stream on the disc.


In short - you're probably best off painting a screen at a true 16:9 aspect ratio - that is, the width should be 1.78 times the height (probably much closer to the area you saw when watching Avatar).


With a 16:9 screen:

- HD programing will fill the screen entirely.

- old standard-def content (4:3) will be "pillarboxed" with black bars on each side

- Most movies shot at 1.85:1 will fill the screen (or come REALLLLY close to filling the screen).

- Movies shot at wider aspect ratios (2.35:1, 2.4:1,etc.) will have black bars at the top  and bottom.


There's lots of other minutia related to aspect ratios, and different ways to accommodate the variations (like CIH setups), but in the end, the fact remains - different movies have different aspect ratio and no solution will work for ALL movies.





#5 of 7 Mark-P

Mark-P

    Screenwriter

  • 2,247 posts
  • Join Date: Sep 26 2005
  • Real Name:Mark Probst
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted October 15 2010 - 09:15 AM


Your mistake was is in thinking that Quantum of Solace has a 16:9 aspect ratio. It doesn't. Avatar, however does.

Originally Posted by f1nuts 

 ...but the top and bottom of image are way over the  16:9 screen i painted  using the  bond movie as template..



#6 of 7 GeorgeAB

GeorgeAB

    Second Unit

  • 468 posts
  • Join Date: Jan 28 2001
  • Real Name:G. Alan Brown
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted October 15 2010 - 09:33 AM



Originally Posted by f1nuts 

thanks jason for your informative info,


so i should try to match the height which i saw in avatar, that was the portion that overlapped the top and bottom of the 16;9 i have it sized at.


then come up with a creative way to screen off that portion  when not needed, as most the movies i own seem to  fit perfectly  on the 16;9.


thankyou


Just to clarify and simplify what Jason was trying to tell you, your painted screen area is NOT 16:9, which is 1.78:1 in aspect ratio, as used for HDTV broadcasts.  You have painted a 2.40:1 screen on your wall, which is a CinemaScope aspect ratio.


'Quantum of Solace' was shot in 2.35:1 but formatted on the video release in 2.40:1 [ http://www.imdb.com/...30515/technical ] , [ http://www.amazon.co...87176303&sr=1-1 ].


'Avatar' was shown in 3D cinemas in 1.78:1 aspect ratio, and in 2D cinemas cropped to 2.35:1 CinemaScope aspect ratio [ http://www.imdb.com/...99549/technical ].


Here's a simple tutorial on movie and video aspect ratios: http://en.wikipedia....t_ratio_(image) .


Best regards and beautiful pictures,

G. Alan Brown, President

CinemaQuest, Inc.

A Lion AV Consultants Affiliate


"Advancing the art and science of electronic imaging"



#7 of 7 f1nuts

f1nuts

    Stunt Coordinator

  • 63 posts
  • Join Date: May 04 2007

Posted October 18 2010 - 04:24 PM

i really appreciate everyones input, thankyou


screen re-sized to fit avatar perfectly...wow what a difference in size, was great to watch , and now i don't seem like such a fool to the kids !