Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Rumor Mill stuff -- Universal preparing Blu catalog titles including THE BIRDS, TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 of 18 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,410 posts

Posted October 07 2010 - 04:07 PM

Gary at DVD Beaver has these two titles added to his "Updates To Calendar" column, and Amazon has them up for pre-order, although no release date has been set. Supposedly there will be fifteen catalog titles in the wave, although they might not come all at once, and supposedly will also include A BEAUTIFUL MIND, THE BLUES BROTHERS, AMERICAN GRAFITTI, and more (this according to Blu-ray.com, link below). This is kind of awesome, if it comes to pass.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=5266

#2 of 18 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,455 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted October 07 2010 - 07:23 PM

Count me in for: American Graffiti Babe Billy Madison The Birds Dazed and Confused Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind Happy Gilmore To Kill a Mockingbird On the fence about A Beautiful Mind and Ray. Great news regardless.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#3 of 18 OFFLINE   Xenia Stathakopoulou

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Screenwriter

• 2,417 posts

Posted October 07 2010 - 11:13 PM

Fast times at ridgemont high, on blu ray finally !!!
At last my body is reunited with my soul which was always feminine.

#4 of 18 OFFLINE   cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,974 posts
  • LocationNew York City/San Lorenzo, PR

Posted October 08 2010 - 12:52 AM

Count me in for The Birds. I hope they're planning on doing all-new transfers, though...I've had my fill of ten-year-old recycled product.
RIP Roberto Gomez Bolanos.

#5 of 18 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,800 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted October 08 2010 - 01:21 AM

I'd definitely pick up American Graffiti, The Birds and Fast Times At Ridgemont High.

#6 of 18 OFFLINE   robbbb1138

robbbb1138

Second Unit

• 265 posts

Posted October 08 2010 - 04:47 AM

This would be fantastic!  Maybe there's something big I'm overlooking, but this pretty much sounds like every iconic not-yet-on-Blu title Universal has from the past 35 years that isn't a Spielberg movie.

#7 of 18 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,881 posts

Posted October 08 2010 - 10:06 AM

Great news *IF* the quality is there, but so far, Universal's track record w/ catalog titles has been very spotty to say the least.

And of course, at least for some of us, there's always the concern whether some (or all?) of these will end up exclusively on their BD/DVD flipper format.  I sure hope the ones I want are not exclusively flippers.

_Man_

Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (Apostle Paul)

#8 of 18 OFFLINE   James Luckard

James Luckard

Stunt Coordinator

• 210 posts

Posted October 08 2010 - 11:22 AM

I'm still waiting on Notting Hill, they did an HD-DVD so I would think they have a transfer ready to slap on a Blu-Ray disc.

#9 of 18 OFFLINE   robbbb1138

robbbb1138

Second Unit

• 265 posts

Posted October 08 2010 - 11:23 AM

And of course, at least for some of us, there's always the concern whether some (or all?) of these will end up exclusively on their BD/DVD flipper format.  I sure hope the ones I want are not exclusively flippers.

Ugh.  I hadn't thought of that...  Hopefully, these being classic movies, we won't get flipper discs.

#10 of 18 OFFLINE   Craig Beam

Craig Beam

Screenwriter

• 1,695 posts

Posted October 08 2010 - 02:08 PM

The Birds.  And still no Vertigo????  Damn it, Universal! 

#11 of 18 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,090 posts

Posted October 08 2010 - 06:16 PM

[quote]Originally Posted by robbbb1138 

Was hoping for a larger slate of Hitchcock titles and at least 1 Spielberg but still I'll pick up The Birds, Dazed & Confused and probably American Graffiti and Fast Times.

Death before Streaming!

#12 of 18 ONLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,168 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted October 09 2010 - 12:23 AM

I guess Universal is going for the "horror" titles in Hitchcock's pantheon first before getting to the 1950s masterpieces like Vertigo, Rear Window, and The Man Who Knew Too Much. I certainly would have reversed the releases though, of course, I'm thrilled to get Psycho.

#13 of 18 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,971 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted October 09 2010 - 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by MattH. 

I guess Universal is going for the "horror" titles in Hitchcock's pantheon first before getting to the 1950s masterpieces like Vertigo, Rear Window, and The Man Who Knew Too Much. I certainly would have reversed the releases though, of course, I'm thrilled to get Psycho.

I would hope that Universal does special editions on Vertigo and Rear Window, as they are doing with Psycho.  The list of Blu-ray titles that is going around the net will be more or less bare-bones and any extras would be only from previous releases.  Their idea is to up their title count for Blu-ray.  I am kind of disappointed that they are not doing something a little more special with The Birds, but that my happen in the future, it the re-do ever happens.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#14 of 18 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Lead Actor

• 6,500 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted October 09 2010 - 05:06 AM

As long as it's treated with care, any Hitchcock on Blu-Ray is welcome. Although I have heard The Man Who Knew Too Much needs to be restored. When HDNet Movies did a Hitchcock marathon a few years ago including most of his VistaVision films, this was the worst-looking one.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then. And while you're at it, PLEASE stop dropping DVD/laserdisc extras from Blu-ray releases of other films.

#15 of 18 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,410 posts

Posted October 09 2010 - 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by ahollis 

I would hope that Universal does special editions on Vertigo and Rear Window, as they are doing with Psycho.  The list of Blu-ray titles that is going around the net will be more or less bare-bones and any extras would be only from previous releases.  Their idea is to up their title count for Blu-ray.  I am kind of disappointed that they are not doing something a little more special with The Birds, but that my happen in the future, it the re-do ever happens.

I am not sure where you are getting your information that the fifteen titles "going around the net" will be more-or-less bare bones. My guess is that THE BIRDS and MOCKINGBIRD and A BEAUTIFUL MIND (probably others) are going to be pretty loaded editions containing at least all the ported materials from their last DVD releases.

Hope so, anyway.

#16 of 18 OFFLINE   rich_d

rich_d

Screenwriter

• 2,004 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted October 10 2010 - 02:41 AM

Perhaps their thought process was to do the horror Hitch films first.  However, they may have moved The Birds to the front of the pack in order to be prepared for a tie-in to the new The Birds film that (at this point) is still in limbo.  Either way, I'll be glad to get it.

#17 of 18 OFFLINE   dpippel

dpippel

HTF Premium Member

• 3,393 posts

Posted October 10 2010 - 09:45 AM

They'd better not screw up "To Kill a Mockingbird", "The Blues Brothers", or the Hitchcock titles, that's all I have to say.

Careful man, there's a beverage here!

#18 of 18 OFFLINE   dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 2,066 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted October 11 2010 - 12:26 PM

Holy Crap, was just over at Digitalbits, and saw that they have confirmed all of that and more, for the end of this year and early next year, what the hell happened, did they realize what thy had in the film archive that they own. the only problem is it's Universal and they have been hit or miss on a lot of catalog releases, sad to say that but it's true, all the BD java crap, or features that no one wants, hey how about a pristine presentation of said title, you know perfect picture, loss-less sound, you know perfect sound, all bonus features on all previous releases, and not PIP format, presented in HD where possible, and if you want to sweeten the pot, extras with a reason to be there, that are worth watching more than once. but if all the transfers are solid, this will be a hard year on the bank account.
Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users