What's new

Rumor Mill stuff -- Universal preparing Blu catalog titles including THE BIRDS, TO KILL A MOCKINGBIR (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Gary at DVD Beaver has these two titles added to his "Updates To Calendar" column, and Amazon has them up for pre-order, although no release date has been set. Supposedly there will be fifteen catalog titles in the wave, although they might not come all at once, and supposedly will also include A BEAUTIFUL MIND, THE BLUES BROTHERS, AMERICAN GRAFITTI, and more (this according to Blu-ray.com link below). This is kind of awesome, if it comes to pass.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=5266

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Count me in for:

American Graffiti

Babe

Billy Madison

The Birds

Dazed and Confused

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Happy Gilmore

To Kill a Mockingbird

On the fence about A Beautiful Mind and Ray.

Great news regardless.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Count me in for The Birds. I hope they're planning on doing all-new transfers, though...I've had my fill of ten-year-old recycled product.

robbbb1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Robb
This would be fantastic! Maybe there's something big I'm overlooking, but this pretty much sounds like every iconic not-yet-on-Blu title Universal has from the past 35 years that isn't a Spielberg movie.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Great news *IF* the quality is there, but so far, Universal's track record w/ catalog titles has been very spotty to say the least.

And of course, at least for some of us, there's always the concern whether some (or all?) of these will end up exclusively on their BD/DVD flipper format. I sure hope the ones I want are not exclusively flippers.

_Man_

robbbb1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Robb
And of course, at least for some of us, there's always the concern whether some (or all?) of these will end up exclusively on their BD/DVD flipper format. I sure hope the ones I want are not exclusively flippers.

Ugh. I hadn't thought of that... Hopefully, these being classic movies, we won't get flipper discs.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by robbbb1138

Was hoping for a larger slate of Hitchcock titles and at least 1 Spielberg but still I'll pick up The Birds, Dazed & Confused and probably American Graffiti and Fast Times.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I guess Universal is going for the "horror" titles in Hitchcock's pantheon first before getting to the 1950s masterpieces like Vertigo, Rear Window, and The Man Who Knew Too Much. I certainly would have reversed the releases though, of course, I'm thrilled to get Psycho.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by MattH.

I guess Universal is going for the "horror" titles in Hitchcock's pantheon first before getting to the 1950s masterpieces like Vertigo, Rear Window, and The Man Who Knew Too Much. I certainly would have reversed the releases though, of course, I'm thrilled to get Psycho.

I would hope that Universal does special editions on Vertigo and Rear Window, as they are doing with Psycho. The list of Blu-ray titles that is going around the net will be more or less bare-bones and any extras would be only from previous releases. Their idea is to up their title count for Blu-ray. I am kind of disappointed that they are not doing something a little more special with The Birds, but that my happen in the future, it the re-do ever happens.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew

As long as it's treated with care, any Hitchcock on Blu-Ray is welcome. Although I have heard The Man Who Knew Too Much needs to be restored. When HDNet Movies did a Hitchcock marathon a few years ago including most of his VistaVision films, this was the worst-looking one.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Originally Posted by ahollis

I would hope that Universal does special editions on Vertigo and Rear Window, as they are doing with Psycho. The list of Blu-ray titles that is going around the net will be more or less bare-bones and any extras would be only from previous releases. Their idea is to up their title count for Blu-ray. I am kind of disappointed that they are not doing something a little more special with The Birds, but that my happen in the future, it the re-do ever happens.
I am not sure where you are getting your information that the fifteen titles "going around the net" will be more-or-less bare bones. My guess is that THE BIRDS and MOCKINGBIRD and A BEAUTIFUL MIND (probably others) are going to be pretty loaded editions containing at least all the ported materials from their last DVD releases.

Hope so, anyway.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich

Perhaps their thought process was to do the horror Hitch films first. However, they may have moved The Birds to the front of the pack in order to be prepared for a tie-in to the new The Birds film that (at this point) is still in limbo. Either way, I'll be glad to get it.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
They'd better not screw up "To Kill a Mockingbird", "The Blues Brothers", or the Hitchcock titles, that's all I have to say.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Holy Crap, was just over at Digitalbits, and saw that they have confirmed all of that and more, for the end of this year and early next year, what the hell happened, did they realize what thy had in the film archive that they own. the only problem is it's Universal and they have been hit or miss on a lot of catalog releases, sad to say that but it's true, all the BD java crap, or features that no one wants, hey how about a pristine presentation of said title, you know perfect picture, loss-less sound, you know perfect sound, all bonus features on all previous releases, and not PIP format, presented in HD where possible, and if you want to sweeten the pot, extras with a reason to be there, that are worth watching more than once. but if all the transfers are solid, this will be a hard year on the bank account.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks