Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Unique Question On Room Arrangement

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   ubuntu7782

ubuntu7782

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted October 03 2010 - 12:40 PM

So I'm redoing my living room next weekend and I'm trying to decide if I should change my surround sound setup.   The first picture is my current setup. The problem I have with it is the speakers aren't across from each other (there to the right side). The second problem is the tv is to the right side too instead of being centered with the couch.    Posted Image   The second picture is my proposed setup. The front and rear surround speakers are in line with each other and equally spaced out from the center of the couch. The TV is also moved more towards the center of the couch. I guess the only problem I have with this setup is although the left front speaker is now inline with the rear its on the other side of the door.  Because of the door the tv can't be spaced in the middle of the two speakers, although its closer then it is now.   If I do go with the setup should I place the center speaker in the middle of the tv, or should I center it between the two front speakers (more towards the left of the tv) ?   Posted Image   Which setup do you think is better?

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   Kevin Stewart

Kevin Stewart

Second Unit

• 359 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted October 03 2010 - 04:21 PM

Go with the second set up.  Keep the center channel in the center of the display. You could also spread the fronts (and rears) apart even further if you're able.
"the dream never dies, just the dreamer"

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   bigshot

bigshot

Screenwriter

• 1,383 posts

Posted October 04 2010 - 08:02 AM

If that was my setup, I would go to stereo with a center in figure 1 and lose the rear channel. The problem I see isn't separation, it's no room behind for the rears to blend with each other.

Wider separation isn't better. In a small room, the mains shouldn't be more than six feet apart. They need to form a clear soundstage around the screen. If having the couch offset bothers you, move the couch.

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley

Screenwriter

• 2,701 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted October 04 2010 - 09:56 AM

I also say go with the second setup, except that I'd put the surround speakers on stands at the ends of the sofa, and pointed toward you. Surrounds don't really go behind, like in the diagram. They should be to the side, and just behind the head. In a 7.1 setup, the back surrounds do go behind you. See Dolby's recommendations here: http://www.dolby.com...uide/index.html I wouldn't go stereo. The whole purpose of having surround equipment is for surround sound, not stereo. Good luck!
Samsung HL61A750 (LED DLP)            Onkyo TX-SR805
Oppo BDP-83 Blu ray                                  Polk Audio LSi9
Polk Audio LSiC                                  Sony SS-MB100H
SVS PC12-NSD (Sub)                       ...

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   ubuntu7782

ubuntu7782

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted October 06 2010 - 12:40 AM

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   ubuntu7782

ubuntu7782

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted October 06 2010 - 12:40 AM

So with everyones help and after reviewing the dolby site I decided to go with setup2 with some minor changes.

I cant move the couch more to the right because the dining room is closer then my scale model attempt, and there is a window seat beind the couch so it would look strange with the couch not centered infront of it.   Heres the new design   Posted Image  

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,516 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted October 06 2010 - 03:21 AM

On the diagram, it looks like you'd want to move the front right speaker more to the right, resulting in the TV being more centered between the fronts.

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   bigshot

bigshot

Screenwriter

• 1,383 posts

Posted October 06 2010 - 06:06 AM

Jamming a speaker tight into a corner sounds worse than off center.

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   Eric_L

Eric_L

Screenwriter

• 1,994 posts

Posted October 10 2010 - 02:09 PM

Trick idea - your fronts don't need to be even with the TV.   Why not pull them forward

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users