-

Photo
Blu-ray Reviews

HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: Beauty and the Beast: Diamond Edition (Combo Pack)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
79 replies to this topic

#21 of 80 Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,574 posts

Posted September 27 2010 - 06:17 PM

Would that DisneyMovieRewards coupon apply in Canada? I forgot to mention I was north of the 49th.

"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#22 of 80 Claus Nielsen

Claus Nielsen

Stunt Coordinator

• 88 posts

Posted September 27 2010 - 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Edwin-S 

Is the DVD in this set just the same transfer that was on the DVD SE from a few years back?

It's a new transfer.

#23 of 80 Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,574 posts

Posted September 27 2010 - 06:38 PM

Thanks. I thought they might have just recycled the old transfer. It's good that the included DVD has a new transfer, regardless of my feelings on the necessity of including a DVD to begin with.

"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#24 of 80 Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,249 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted September 27 2010 - 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by cafink 

Since there's no Blu-ray-only version to compare it to, how do you know the DVD is included "at no extra cost"?

$39.99 is pretty much standard pricing for new releases containing two blu-ray discs. But with Universal and Disney making most of their new-movie releases combo-pacs now, it's really a moot point. I see it as making the package backward compatible which is a good thing. But I'll concede that many see it as a waste and would wish for a lower-priced version without the DVD.

#25 of 80 SD_Brian

SD_Brian

Supporting Actor

• 586 posts

Posted September 28 2010 - 02:04 AM

Would that DisneyMovieRewards coupon apply in Canada? I forgot to mention I was north of the 49th.

Nope, USA only.

#26 of 80 Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 3,960 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted September 28 2010 - 02:04 AM

There's a Disney Movie Rewards coupon for Canadians, like there was for Snow White.

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#27 of 80 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,217 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted September 28 2010 - 02:16 AM

I need a little help.

Is the "$10 coupon" for B&tB one of Disney's printable on-line coupons used at checkout?  Or, is it included in the case and, in effect, a rebate that is sent in after-the-fact with a Proof-of-Purchase of an older DVD version?

Or, is there both?   Posted Image

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#28 of 80 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,802 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted September 28 2010 - 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Frezon 

I need a little help.

Is the "$10 coupon" for B&tB one of Disney's printable on-line coupons used at checkout?  Or, is it included in the case and, in effect, a rebate that is sent in after-the-fact with a Proof-of-Purchase of an older DVD version?

Or, is there both?   Posted Image

I got the $10 coupon via e-mail that is printable and used at check out. It's like last year's Snow White coupon when you enter in the UPC for the VHS or DVD and you get a $10 manufacturer's coupon.

#29 of 80 Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Producer

• 4,165 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted September 28 2010 - 02:49 AM

Right.  In addition to the coupon, I gave Best Buy my $7.50 for the steelb--AHEM... sorry, I mean Disney "IRONPACK" ™, so I'll be be forking over just a few more bucks for this next week.

#30 of 80 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,217 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted September 28 2010 - 05:13 AM

Thanks, fellas.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

#31 of 80 AaronMK

AaronMK

Supporting Actor

• 768 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted September 28 2010 - 06:11 AM

Quote:

These DVD pack-ins are useless to me. I already have a DVD of this movie. Why would I need another one? I just need the BD. Thanks to Disney's ridiculous pricing for these combo sets, this will be another set that I'm going to have to leave on the shelf.

If we were talking the Fantasia Blu-ray set, I might agree about having to pay a combo price when I only want one of movies.  If $39.99 were not standard MSRP for newly released Blu-ray titles these days, combo or not, I might agree.  If it were a general $39.99 MSRP is steep for a single title in general, I might agree.  Disney being "ridiculous" in its pricing when compared to other releases? I don't agree.

#32 of 80 SD_Brian

SD_Brian

Supporting Actor

• 586 posts

Posted September 28 2010 - 06:58 AM

As a point of comparison, the Toy Story 3 combo pack has an MSRP of $45.99 while the non-combo version lists for $39.99.  Disney is one of the few companies that routinely offers non-combo options (Princess & the Frog, Alice in Wonderland, Toy Story 3) on their new releases and it's usually a $5.00 difference in price.  It doesn't appear that Disney has tacked a premium onto B&tB for the DVD disc plus they have made a $10.00 off coupon readily available for upgrading customers so, on this particular title, I'd leave my pitchfork and torch at home.  

#33 of 80 Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,697 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted September 29 2010 - 04:41 AM

My sister finally got herself a PS3 over the summer and kept bugging me about not finding Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin or The Lion King on DVD anymore.  I'm hoping to make this her *first* BD at Christmas time.  (She doesn't buy herself many movie, IIRC.)  So one for her and one for me.  I will be holding onto the regular DVD, though, for posterity.

This is one of my "go to" soundtracks on my iPod, along with the stage version.  Probably my favorite Disney animated film ever and in my top five movies period.

#34 of 80 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,053 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted September 29 2010 - 09:58 AM

Disney has thoughtfully provided a link to some activity pages you can print out for your kids.

Go here to find them.

#35 of 80 Zack Gibbs

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter

• 1,687 posts

Posted September 29 2010 - 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by MattH. ../../../..

Disney has thoughtfully provided a link to some activity pages you can print out for your kids.

Go here to find them.

You should probably check for hidden penises and the like first though.

"Because he's the hero that Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now... and so we'll hunt him... because he can take it... because he's not a hero... he's a silent guardian, a watchful protector... a DARK KNIGHT."

#36 of 80 Ric Easton

Ric Easton

Screenwriter

• 2,814 posts

Posted September 29 2010 - 03:33 PM

Hmmm, gave away the DVD a couple of years ago, so I guess I can't get the coupon...   Anyway, I am psyched this is finally coming out on Blu!

I was so pleased it was nominated for Best Picture of 1991.

Holy crap, Mike!  Has it been that long?  It doesn't seem possible that its been almost 20 years!

#37 of 80 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,217 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted September 29 2010 - 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

This is my favorite Disney film.  I was so pleased it was nominated for Best Picture of 1991.  Terrific music, great story-telling...the whole package.

It also doesn't hurt that my son was born in 1990...so my five year old daughter and I must've gone to see B&tB more than a half-dozen times in the theater (while Mom stayed at home with son).  I didn't mind at all.

Originally Posted by Ric Easton 

Holy crap, Mike!  Has it been that long?  It doesn't seem possible that its been almost 20 years!

Yeah, well...my little girl is now 24 years old and has been married 3+ years!  Posted Image

It's been that long!

#38 of 80 Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,495 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted September 29 2010 - 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Jason_V 
This is one of my "go to" soundtracks on my iPod, along with the stage version.

I just added them to my iPod...it will be good to refresh my memory prior to getting the blu-ray next week.

#39 of 80 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,802 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted September 30 2010 - 01:26 AM

Hmmm, gave away the DVD a couple of years ago, so I guess I can't get the coupon... 

I haven't tried them myself but apparently, either of these UPC codes will work to get the coupon.

#40 of 80 RomanSohor

RomanSohor

Second Unit

• 360 posts

Posted September 30 2010 - 01:56 AM

Hmmm, gave away the DVD a couple of years ago, so I guess I can't get the coupon...   Anyway, I am psyched this is finally coming out on Blu!

http://www.disneymov...tw-coupon_print

Apparently they have made the coupon public now....

Roman Sohor, CTS