What's new

JP3 - Is It Worth A Buy? (1 Viewer)

Tommy G

Screenwriter
Well, there I was going out to my local mom& pop video shop local to our town and I beat the crowd to rent Jurassic Park III which I was looking forward to. I got to the area and said to myself..you lucky dog 2 on the shelf. Walked over and picked up the first one available and viewed the back FULL FRAME dammit :angry: ! Picked up copy number 2 and viewed the back FULL FRAME :angry: dammit again. I said ok at least The Grinch is available. Looked at the back and you guessed it :angry: . I ended up venting to the woman there who sided with me but was obviously not the owner. Now here comes the question. Since I will not watch a Pan & Scam version of Jurassic Park III, is it worth a buy? I have 2 days left to get it from Best Buy for $16.99 (I know about the freebie for $2.25 and none on that list interest me). Should I be running out after work to pick this one up or wait till maybe my local library gets the non-butchered widescreen version?

JasonKrol

Supporting Actor
heheh...do i hear that! I went to Crapbusters and saw 50 million copies in P&S, so I went to Target and bought it...sigth unseen..and I was very pleased! I loved it!! Much more than the second one in fact!! I say pick it up!

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
If you want a pretty decent demo disc (DTS-ES Matrix soundtrack-- very smooth sounding) that mainly seems like a very quick rollercoaster ride rather than a coherent movie then by all means pick this up!

It was kind of fun... some SFX fell short, but I think they rushed this one to theaters for some quick cash... the whole cheeseball "screenplay" reeks of this. How the hell could a tiny cell phone be heard in the stomach of a huge Spinosaurus yet no one can hear its footsteps?? That kind of thing.

Dan

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
It's worth the buy, because you get mail-in coupons not only for a fourth Jurassic Park (series) disc with additional supplementary marterials and a case for all four discs (free except for shipping charges), but also for a free disc from a list of about two dozen titles that are probably not selling well (I will be ordering DRAGONHEART). When you figure your JP3 investment was probably under $20., this is an amazing bargain.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I bought JP3 because of the SPX and soundtrack. I have a few movies which I really think aren't very good, but they have good demo. quality. Also, getting the free movie is a bonus especially considering you can just sell it which would make JP3 basically free.

Tommy G

Screenwriter
Thanks for the response Dick but I was looking for just on the basis of the movie alone. Don't get me wrong as I will order a free October Sky if I pick this up but there is no way I would have gone out of my way to buy that movie separately. I also thought that the fourth disc and cases were for if you bought the trilogy pack. I have absolutely no interest in owning 2: The Lost World as that movie was absolutely horrible and already own the original. Thanks for the quick responses. :emoji_thumbsup: Keep 'em coming. I'm starting to be swayed (especially if you guys start telling me how good Tea Leoni looks in this movie). :D

JasonKrol

Supporting Actor
welp, fortunately she has a fairly small part..kinda..i mean shes in the entire movie..but just kinda yells and scream mostly..i found her to not be anoying..but there really wasnt anything sexy about her role either..she was just kinda there.

i was cracking up when I read the earlier post about hearing the cell phone ring..but not the foot steps....funny!! i never thought of that!

but..i say if you like the intro of Trex in the first JP then youll love the battle with Trex in this movie. I was blown away!!!

definitely DEMO material this movie!

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
Better than JP2 but nothing like JP1. For $16.99 with semi freebies, it's an OK deal. If you have the hw and really into big bass, get this by all means, otherwise, it's kind of a "whatever", one way or the other...;) .

Jason Sweet

Stunt Coordinator
I would say definitely pick it up. It's a fun summer film, it's got some great action sequences and the effects are pretty well done. The sound is great, and it has some good extras. It has a great sense of pacing, it does what it has to do and the ends with drawing itself out or becoming slow. Much better than Lost World.

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
I have absolutely no interest in owning 2: The Lost World as that movie was absolutely horrible and already own the original.
Tommy G,

This may help in making your decision, but what was it about The Lost World that you thought was horrible and that you don't want to own the movie?

Tommy G

Screenwriter
Brett, here are the things that bothered me about The Lost World:

[rant]There really was not any suspense and most of the story was contrived and did not liken itself at all to the book. By the finale, it was laughable. If I remember correctly there was no real plot except rehashing the first and a lot of people getting eaten. It was very predictable to me in that I knew beforehand who was going to meet their demise and who wasn't. It was extremely shallow and seemed more like a B-Horror movie or a Godzilla movie with better special effects (ie all of the close ups of people shrieking from the T-Rex). I guess I expected a lot more out of Spielberg and to at least follow the book a little more closely. [/rant]

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
Tommy G,

I loved the first movie, but I hated the second.

I liked the third one more than the second, but I still will not own it on DVD. For me, it was laughable. Like someone else had mentioned about the "cell phone" incident. The bad part about it, that was only part of the laughable sequences. There is alot more. So, if you don't like "cheesy" movies then you may want to stay away from this because it reeks.

Brett B.

Tommy G

Screenwriter
Thanks for the info Brett. I think I'll pass on this one after all. Besides, I found out that Rentmydvd.com has it in WIDESCREEN. :) But it is currently out of stock. :frowning: Oh well, I can wait.

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
Buy it man! I bought it sight unseen also. I ROCKED! I thought my house would fall down and I didn't even have the volume that high! Picture was VERY nice. Some very very small flaws (I think? maybe I was imagining it) but a very nice transfer IMHO.

Marc_E

Oh, dont get it at BB because CC has it for $4 less.

Tommy G

Screenwriter
Marc, you have got to be kidding me. CC has it for $12.99? How come I haven't heard of this one? I don't have one here on the Cape, but I'd be willing to go off for that price.

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
JP3 is totally lacking in suspense unlike its two predecessors and does not increase the bar when it comes to CGI. Joe Johnston is no Steven Spielberg as far as crafting action scenes with suspense and thrill.

I would recommend a rental first.

~Edwin

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
There really was not any suspense and most of the story was contrived
This is precisely how I feel about part 3. To me, it was just a "one damn thing after another" type of plot. No effort whatsoever was made to build suspense. After a reasonably clever set-up the film dissolves into a string of redundant chase scenes and "Boo!" moments.

Regarding the much-maligned Lost World--admittedly the San Diego climax was rather kitschy (a clear sign Spielberg had lost interest in the material), but the trailer sequence is as good as any of the set pieces in the first film, if not better, IMO.

Incidentally, JP3 also omits something rather important from its plot--a climax. How anyone could prefer this film to either of the others utterly mystifies me, but then again, de gustibus non est disputandum.

--Jefferson Morris

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I found JP3 much better than Lost World; but I think JP 1 is still the best of the three (not that it was great movie, but entertaining and a better story).

Chas_Michael

Second Unit
Correct me if im wrong. The Full Screen version of JP3 is OPEN MATTE? Butchering? Maybe on a Pan & Scan version of Braveheart, now that's BUTCHERING!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks