What's new

JP3 - Is It Worth A Buy? (1 Viewer)

Tommy G

Screenwriter
Tommy G,

Now, you have to post your thoughts of the movie. I am interested in hearing your view of this movie.

Brett B.
Well, I saw it last night and it was pretty much what I expected. I thought it was much better than Lost World but not as good as the original. I would really have preferred to rent this one but it would have cost me around $5 through rentmydvd.com and it was out on top of it all. For $16.99 I guess it wasn't bad and when my son is old enough, I'm sure he'll enjoy it (if he's still into dinosaurs). Thanks for the input.

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
Tommy G,

Thanks for posting your thoughts on this. I am sure that your son will enjoy this movie.

Brett B.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Great demo DVD, crappy movie. I mean, it was somewhat entertaining, but nothing to get overly excited about. I must admit that the Spinosaurus attack on the plane shook my house and woke my fiance up one floor upstairs (and I don't even own an SVS sub)!

Andrew s wells

Second Unit
Just thought i should mention........ i noticed soooo many people saying you couldnt hear the spinos footsteps on the part with the phone ringing...
I also recall in the first Jurassic park, you couldnt hear the T-rex approach before he grabs the raptor at the visitors center.Suprised no one mentions that.:)

EugeneM

Grip
LOOK !! LOOK !! DINOSAUR !!! RUN !!!

That about sums it up. I've seen it in the theater.

The acting of the guy who plays Tea Leoni's (sp?) new

husband was UNDESCRIBINGLY BAD, don't remember about

the others

It probably all depends how picky you are.

I won't buy it, I just don't buy movies b/c

of soundtrack/SFX anymore.

Movie "has to do it for me" to deserve place in my

collection. This one certanly didn't, I don't even

remember much about it anymore

EugeneM

Grip
I agree that William H Macy was quite good in Pleasantville, but my point is - there is no such thing as a "accomplished actor" for me. Obviously, there are some really bad, to whom ACTING is totally foreign concept - George Clooney, Denise Richards, etc. And those who CAN act may be brilliant in one movie and totally unwatchable in the other. For instance, compare Liam Neeson play in "Schindler's List" with his role in "The Phantom Menace".

Gary Kellerman

Stunt Coordinator
I think the transfer is rather dim. If you look at some of the extras you will notice that the contrast and brightness is better on those examined segments than the whole movie. That to me shows poor quality control. Otherwise it is not a bad film especially for some of the DTS surround segments like the plane crash and the fight between the Spino and the T-REX. The free DVD offer is not a bad deal either on some of the films offered.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
If you enjoy movies where you can 'check your brain at the door', then you should get this. Even if it is just so-so, get the other DVD's really cheap counts as a plus.

I thought that 3 was too short, but I think that with all of these, we shouldn't think. Just enjoy it. The phone ringing really cracked me up. I think that the acids and wee critters inside a dino's stomach would quickly render it inoperable, but I'm not complaining. I mean, come on guys, the whole premise of the movies aren't anywhere near reality, so why not just have fun?

I liked Lost World the best of the three. When the hunting party arrived, my only thought was that the dino's were not going to go hungry tonight. For me it seemed to have more unpredictable plot twists than the other two. This might be due to the fact that I did not see any previews or read any reviews before I saw it.

Glenn

tommy_esq

Stunt Coordinator
my reaction when JP3 was over after only an hour and twenty minutes- "that's it?"

i enjoyed it but i thought it was WAY short!

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
I thought JP3 was okay but was lacking in a few areas:

1) I thought the ending was brutally awful, it was pure deus ex machina.

2) The dinos are becoming more horror monsters and less real animals. For instance, in JP1, the T-Rex's footsteps are extremely loud (see the famous water ripple scene). In JP3, the Spino, which is even larger than the T-Rex, is sneaking up on them. The scene where the Spino literally appears, feet shrounded in mist, made me cringe (and not with fear).

3) I just don't by the Raptors as super creatures. Maybe its just me, but I just don't buy it.

I definitely think the series has lost its way. JP1 was a film exploring the wonder and the darkside of that wonder with dinosaurs. JP2 looked more at the exploitation of the dinos. JP3 doesn't have that type of unifying theme.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
JP3 certainly has it's problems. Macy and Leoni are very bad in their roles, there are continuity errors, logic errors, plotting issues, the ending, etc. Despite all of that I enjoyed the movie much more than Lost World, mainly because of Sam Neill. His portrayal of Dr. Grant in III saved the movie from being JUST an effects vehicle in my opinion. I enjoyed his character in the first JP, but like everyone else in that film he was 2D only. It was interesting to see Neill flesh him out and apparently having a good time while doing so. The dinos were brainless fun, but Dr. Grant kept things grounded. Go Sam.

DP

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks