What's new

Windows XP and DVD RW (1 Viewer)

PatH

Second Unit
I'm trying to dump some videos to from HDD to DVD. The program I'm using supports DVD RW + or - . When I insert one of these, it says there's no disk in the drive. I discovered that the player will only read finalized disks, and I've succeeded in burning to a DVD-R. MY researches into this problem led me to references that XP does not play nice with read/write disks and to a putative solution involving SP 3, which I long ago installed. Still, the problem is there so for now I am restricted to use of DVD-R.

My question involves not copying, which I know is frowned upon here, but whether the assertion about XP and DVD read/write disks is correct. If so, is there a solution? My drive on my PC reads DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, and DVD-RAM. Thanks!

PatH

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
In order to write any non-format type disc, you have to use software, not Windows writing tool.. so something like Nero 9/10 or Roxio will handle them

PatH

Second Unit
Let me clarify a bit. The DVD burning program I used says it supports DVD RW, + and - . When I put one of these in my Lightscribe DVD SuperMulti Drive, the program says there's no disk in the drive. But is that Windows overriding the program and refusing to recognize the disk?

PatH

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
No. Since Sp3, any burning program has full access whether it's through ASPI or it's own. So, Windows won't cause that at all.
So, either the drive is in error (you can check this by connecting say a USB DVDRW drive) or there is some file corruption.

If there is file corruption within windows, it'll be obvious.. you should be able to right click on your "My Computer" go to "Manage" and go to "Event Logs" Check under System Log. See if you have any Red "X"s for ASPI. That would mean a burning issue.

You can also check at your multidrive manufacturer's homepage (like liteonit.com etc.) to see if they have updated firmware for your DVDRW just in case.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks