Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Breaking News: Panasonic gets Avatar 3D Blu-ray disc

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 of 15 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,576 posts

Posted September 02 2010 - 09:11 AM

Panasonic will be the exclusive launch partner of 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment for the 3D Blu-ray Disc release of the blockbuster smash "Avatar" in early December, Panasonic marketing executives said Thursday.

Read the entire story here.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 15 OFFLINE   WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,232 posts

Posted September 02 2010 - 12:11 PM

I'm not always right about these kinds of predictions, but this seems pretty stupid to me. I don't see how the BD-3D thing is going to take off if the only way you can get certain discs is if you buy a certain brand of television. If there is one disc that would be a killer app for 3-D, Avatar would be it, but is it enough to influence a major purchase like a 3D TV?

STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#3 of 15 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,576 posts

Posted September 02 2010 - 12:23 PM

You are deciding between a Samsung and Panasonic 3D display.

Just can't make up your mind which one you want (and trust me,

there are barbs from owners going back and forth which is better)....

Samsung is offering Monsters vs. Aliens with their display.  Panasonic

is offering Avatar.

Seems to me many might be swayed towards the Panasonic
purchase based on that title offering.

I don't quite agree with these exclusivity offers myself, but you
gotta admit, customers who are considering several 3D brands

are going to be swayed by Avatar.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#4 of 15 OFFLINE   Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted September 02 2010 - 12:48 PM

I have no plans to jump onto the 3D bandwagon, and it's games like this that will keep me away for a very long time. The stupidness of studios never ceases to amaze.

You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#5 of 15 ONLINE   Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 7,996 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted September 02 2010 - 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron-P 

I have no plans to jump onto the 3D bandwagon, and it's games like this that will keep me away for a very long time. The stupidness of studios never ceases to amaze.

Bingo. I'm not going to take a format/brand seriously when actions like this happen. The last time is happened, it was Disney and Fox initially only releasing their stuff on Divx. How did that work out?
Hey buddy...did you just see a real bright light?

#6 of 15 ONLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,318 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted September 02 2010 - 02:16 PM

I'm sure that when/if 3-D TVs actually catch on (which, to me, seems unlikely since it's not just bitter internet nerds that are already tired of the new 3-D wave) and I decide to get a 3-D set, the exclusivity deal for Avatar will be long over so I'm not really that concerned by it.

#7 of 15 OFFLINE   Brent M

Brent M

Producer

• 4,486 posts

Posted September 02 2010 - 03:17 PM

Quote:Originally Posted by Ron-P 

Agree 100%. I care absolutely nothing about 3D and as good as the current Blu-Ray version of Avatar looks on my setup I can't imagine getting on board with it anytime in the near future.

"If you're good at something, never do it for free."

#8 of 15 OFFLINE   AaronMK

AaronMK

Supporting Actor

• 768 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted September 06 2010 - 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein 

You are deciding between a Samsung and Panasonic 3D display.

Seems to me many might be swayed towards the Panasonic
purchase based on that title offering.

Significant numbers of titles being manufacturer exclusives will sway me towards the fence.

#9 of 15 OFFLINE   Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,712 posts

Posted September 06 2010 - 11:58 AM

Title availability is a big factor (along with price) in any decision to jump on this bandwagon. If I coudn't get a reliable stream of 3D content then I doubt I'd buy any manufacturers product. Exclusivity of content reduces any desire to purchase. TV sets should be purchased on the basis of picture quality, features and price, not on exclusive access to a desired film. Right now, if I was honestly in the market for one of these sets I would probably go with a Panasonic because I think a plasma set is the best choice for 3D picture quality, not because Avatar is an exclusive. I have looked at the Panasonics and they looked very good PQ-wise. Unfortunately, after looking at these sets, I still think 50 to 60 inches is too small for immersive 3D. Really immersive 3D requires a big screen which effectively means front projection.

"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#10 of 15 OFFLINE   Steve Y

Steve Y

Supporting Actor

• 704 posts

Posted September 06 2010 - 01:36 PM

I'm with those of you who are sick of seeing a still-changing technology do battle in consumers' pocketbooks this way. Rarely do I see so little offered for so much (hassle and expense). If I want to spend $20-$30 on 3D Avatar, I'll catch it at the multiplex (before or after its extended re-release to theaters) and see in twice on a massive screen for less money. That would be enough for me, and I wouldn't have to buy glasses, a Panasonic 3D TV, or a 3D-capable player.

Let's not encourage this behavior just because we can't wait a few more years for home 3D technology to evolve.

#11 of 15 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,053 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted September 06 2010 - 01:53 PM

10 years we'll have 3D TV without glasses.  Hell, 10 years and we might have damn near holographic projection sets  (not joking, people are working on this, google for it)   So, with such a rapidly changing platform, I'm of little interest to invest, especially when Generation 3/4 will be light years better then Generation1, and boy does the early adopter take it in the shorts.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#12 of 15 OFFLINE   WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,232 posts

Posted September 06 2010 - 02:32 PM

Significant numbers of titles being manufacturer exclusives will sway me towards the fence.

I think it pretty much the equivalent of a format war. I just can't believe studios haven't learned that it just doesn't work when you split the market like that with regards to home video.

STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#13 of 15 OFFLINE   marcco00

marcco00

Stunt Coordinator

• 175 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

Posted September 06 2010 - 10:19 PM

this is true. and the poor consumer is stuck in the middle.

#14 of 15 OFFLINE   Ryan-G

Ryan-G

Supporting Actor

• 621 posts

Posted September 08 2010 - 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Steve Y 

I'm with those of you who are sick of seeing a still-changing technology do battle in consumers' pocketbooks this way. Rarely do I see so little offered for so much (hassle and expense). If I want to spend $20-$30 on 3D Avatar, I'll catch it at the multiplex (before or after its extended re-release to theaters) and see in twice on a massive screen for less money. That would be enough for me, and I wouldn't have to buy glasses, a Panasonic 3D TV, or a 3D-capable player.

Let's not encourage this behavior just because we can't wait a few more years for home 3D technology to evolve.

Yeah,  I don't see this doing well.  The problem is,  and always has been,  the glasses.  They bother some people,  myself included (And I'm immune to vertigo and shaky-cam hazards),  they're expensive,  and they're a hassal when you just want to watch something.

I just see this as being a major loss for everyone involved,  and I really don't think the studios get it.  I didn't go see Avatar because it was 3D,  I went to see Avatar,  and I went to the 3D version because it was the best choice at the time.

But that doesn't mean I'm going to drop a massive amount of money for another TV,  and then a ridiculous amount of money for glasses.  It means I wanted to see Avatar,  and I accepted the novelty of 3D at the time,  mainly because the last 3D movie I saw was in 1980something on TV.

#15 of 15 OFFLINE   Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted September 09 2010 - 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by mattCR 
...and boy does the early adopter take it in the shorts. 

Ummm, yeah, tell me about it. I jumped onto the HD-DVD bandwagon even before the players hit the street. I got (un)lucky when I was in a Best Buy and they sold me a player before street.

I will never, ever, do that again, ever. It's not worth it. From now on, I'll be waiting until a new, whatever it is, is resonably established before investing.

As for this deal with 3D TVs and packaging certain titles with it, it'll do nothing for those greedy studio bastards.

You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!