What's new

3D Breaking News: Panasonic gets Avatar 3D Blu-ray disc (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Panasonic will be the exclusive launch partner of 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment for the 3D Blu-ray Disc release of the blockbuster smash "Avatar" in early December, Panasonic marketing executives said Thursday.

Read the entire story here.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I'm not always right about these kinds of predictions, but this seems pretty stupid to me. I don't see how the BD-3D thing is going to take off if the only way you can get certain discs is if you buy a certain brand of television. If there is one disc that would be a killer app for 3-D, Avatar would be it, but is it enough to influence a major purchase like a 3D TV?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
You are deciding between a Samsung and Panasonic 3D display.

Just can't make up your mind which one you want (and trust me,

there are barbs from owners going back and forth which is better)....

Samsung is offering Monsters vs. Aliens with their display. Panasonic

is offering Avatar.

Seems to me many might be swayed towards the Panasonic
purchase based on that title offering.

I don't quite agree with these exclusivity offers myself, but you
gotta admit, customers who are considering several 3D brands

are going to be swayed by Avatar.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I have no plans to jump onto the 3D bandwagon, and it's games like this that will keep me away for a very long time. The stupidness of studios never ceases to amaze.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Originally Posted by Ron-P

I have no plans to jump onto the 3D bandwagon, and it's games like this that will keep me away for a very long time. The stupidness of studios never ceases to amaze.

Bingo. I'm not going to take a format/brand seriously when actions like this happen. The last time is happened, it was Disney and Fox initially only releasing their stuff on Divx. How did that work out?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm sure that when/if 3-D TVs actually catch on (which, to me, seems unlikely since it's not just bitter internet nerds that are already tired of the new 3-D wave) and I decide to get a 3-D set, the exclusivity deal for Avatar will be long over so I'm not really that concerned by it.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member

Originally Posted by Ron-P

Agree 100%. I care absolutely nothing about 3D and as good as the current Blu-Ray version of Avatar looks on my setup I can't imagine getting on board with it anytime in the near future.

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein

You are deciding between a Samsung and Panasonic 3D display.

Seems to me many might be swayed towards the Panasonic
purchase based on that title offering.

Significant numbers of titles being manufacturer exclusives will sway me towards the fence.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Title availability is a big factor (along with price) in any decision to jump on this bandwagon. If I coudn't get a reliable stream of 3D content then I doubt I'd buy any manufacturers product. Exclusivity of content reduces any desire to purchase. TV sets should be purchased on the basis of picture quality, features and price, not on exclusive access to a desired film. Right now, if I was honestly in the market for one of these sets I would probably go with a Panasonic because I think a plasma set is the best choice for 3D picture quality, not because Avatar is an exclusive. I have looked at the Panasonics and they looked very good PQ-wise. Unfortunately, after looking at these sets, I still think 50 to 60 inches is too small for immersive 3D. Really immersive 3D requires a big screen which effectively means front projection.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
I'm with those of you who are sick of seeing a still-changing technology do battle in consumers' pocketbooks this way. Rarely do I see so little offered for so much (hassle and expense). If I want to spend $20-$30 on 3D Avatar, I'll catch it at the multiplex (before or after its extended re-release to theaters) and see in twice on a massive screen for less money. That would be enough for me, and I wouldn't have to buy glasses, a Panasonic 3D TV, or a 3D-capable player.

Let's not encourage this behavior just because we can't wait a few more years for home 3D technology to evolve.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
10 years we'll have 3D TV without glasses. Hell, 10 years and we might have damn near holographic projection sets (not joking, people are working on this, google for it) So, with such a rapidly changing platform, I'm of little interest to invest, especially when Generation 3/4 will be light years better then Generation1, and boy does the early adopter take it in the shorts.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Significant numbers of titles being manufacturer exclusives will sway me towards the fence.

I think it pretty much the equivalent of a format war. I just can't believe studios haven't learned that it just doesn't work when you split the market like that with regards to home video.

Ryan-G

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Steve Y

I'm with those of you who are sick of seeing a still-changing technology do battle in consumers' pocketbooks this way. Rarely do I see so little offered for so much (hassle and expense). If I want to spend $20-$30 on 3D Avatar, I'll catch it at the multiplex (before or after its extended re-release to theaters) and see in twice on a massive screen for less money. That would be enough for me, and I wouldn't have to buy glasses, a Panasonic 3D TV, or a 3D-capable player.

Let's not encourage this behavior just because we can't wait a few more years for home 3D technology to evolve.

Yeah, I don't see this doing well. The problem is, and always has been, the glasses. They bother some people, myself included (And I'm immune to vertigo and shaky-cam hazards), they're expensive, and they're a hassal when you just want to watch something.

I just see this as being a major loss for everyone involved, and I really don't think the studios get it. I didn't go see Avatar because it was 3D, I went to see Avatar, and I went to the 3D version because it was the best choice at the time.

But that doesn't mean I'm going to drop a massive amount of money for another TV, and then a ridiculous amount of money for glasses. It means I wanted to see Avatar, and I accepted the novelty of 3D at the time, mainly because the last 3D movie I saw was in 1980something on TV.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Originally Posted by mattCR
...and boy does the early adopter take it in the shorts.
Ummm, yeah, tell me about it. I jumped onto the HD-DVD bandwagon even before the players hit the street. I got (un)lucky when I was in a Best Buy and they sold me a player before street.

I will never, ever, do that again, ever. It's not worth it. From now on, I'll be waiting until a new, whatever it is, is resonably established before investing.

As for this deal with 3D TVs and packaging certain titles with it, it'll do nothing for those greedy studio bastards.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks