What's new

Health Scare (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
My wife called me this morning, the hospital had called to say there was a problem with her recent mammogram and they needed her to come in asap for further testing. They found some spots. My wife called me to let me know. That news really scared the hell out me.

She went in and they did a more thorough mammogram and ultra-sounds. They made her wait for the result which was that the spots were harmless cysts requiring no treatment.

Whew! For a few hours I was wondering if my wife had breast cancer. I couldn't think about anything else. I am grateful that we got the results so fast. If we had to wait several days I would have been a wreck. We've been married 27 years and I want 27 more.

She got an A+ on her report card and I'm so grateful.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I remember when My wife Told me she'd been diagnosed with Cancer, it came out of no where and we were definately not ready for it, it was the hardest day of our lives, followed by the most difficult year and a half of treatments. She died of complications from the cancer at the end of May. We had been married for 23 years and she died at the young age of 45. Give your wife many hugs tonight and for the rest of your lives

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Thank you Dave. My wife got a bunch of hugs yesterday and will continue to do so. I don't see how anyone can ever be ready for such bad news and for such an ordeal. My bad day lasted a few hours while yours is still with you. I hope you can find the perspective needed to deal with such a profound loss.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I'm glad to hear she's OK. My wife was diagnosed with breast cancer in December 2003 at the age of 38. It hit like a ton of bricks. Her tumor was pretty advanced. She immediately went through chemotherapy and then had surgery to remove what was left of the tumor.

She has been cancer free for what will be 7 years this December. I thank God for that and pray it doesn't come back. I don't wish anyone to have to go through that.

Matt^Brown

Supporting Actor
I'm glad to hear the good news! It is funny how in a couple of hours your whole perspective on life can change. I hope you both have another 27 years together.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Originally Posted by Matt^Brown

It is funny how in a couple of hours your whole perspective on life can change.

How very true. I am so very thankful this turned out well.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Johnny:

I am really glad to hear that your wife is ok. My wife lost her sister to breast cancer a few years ago and she is very diligent in having her mammograms done.

A good friend at work was diagnosed with breast cancer a few years ago and after she went through chemo and a double mastectomy her fear of having it return was just about as bad as the initial diagnosis. Any little spot on a scan that was found had her running back to her oncologist to have it removed surgically. Thankfully she has been cancer free for about 11 years now. Around the same time we had a co-worker that was diagnosed with primary liver cancer and unfortunately she lost her fight to it a few years ago after going through a ton of surgeries and treatments.

The good news in all of this is that with early detention many cancers are not only highly treatable and curable. Even though your wife has a clean bill of health now don't let her slide in having her annual check up to make sure she stays that way.

Let her know that we are thinking of her and wish her and the rest of your family good health and long life to each of you.

Parker

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Dave:

I am so sorry to hear your lost your wife to cancer. I don't know what I would do without my wife.

I am frequently reminded of the great JT in regards to my wife.

And I feel fine anytime she's around me now,
She's around me now
Just about all the time
And if I'm well you can tell she's been with me now,
She's been with me now quite a long, long time
And I feel fine.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

Originally Posted by Parker Clack
Even though your wife has a clean bill of health now don't let her slide in having her annual check up to make sure she stays that way.  

Let her know that we are thinking of her and wish her and the rest of your family good health and long life to each of you.

Parker

Thank you for the kind words. Each one of us nags the other to get annual checkups which we both do. This thread has been one more reminder of the importance of not taking your health for granted.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I share the same kind words others have posted so far. With all the tragedy most of us have to deal with in our daily lives it's nice to hear a happy ending for a change. We lost my Mother to the dreaded desease in '75, she was only 44. 15 years later we lost my Sister as well. Only 49. And last year I found out my high school sweatheart succumed to the desease in1993 at the all to young age of 32. An absolutely fantastic girl. Way, way out of my league. I was heart-broken when I found out, even though I hadn't even seen her in over 25 years. What a shame. She deserved so much better than life had to offer her, and still it was cut way too short.

But enough about me. Life goes on for the rest of us. It has to, we have no choice. Thank you Johnny for sharing your story with us. With all the things we have and all the toys we play with, it's the people in are lives that are by far the most important. Enjoy every minute you have to spend with everyone. Even those on a silly internet forum like this one .

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The people in our lives are what is important, you've got that right Gene. I am sorry that bc has touched your family so closely with such tragic results.

The next Race for the Cure that comes up, I'm going to see if I can run in it. I think they're allowing men in it now, but perhaps it's only for relatives of those with bc.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Thanks for sharing your story. My wife is a survivor going on six years now. Happy endings are indeed a good thing.

She participates in the Race for the Cure every year. At last year's event, as she was waiting in line at a table where volunteers were passing out muffins, lemonade, and tee-shirts reserved exclusively for the survivors, she heard one miffed volunteer say, "There are just WAY too many survivors this year!"

I guess happy endings aren't for everybody.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Johnny:

I just caught this thread. All the best to you and your wife as you move forward past this scare and with your newfound awareness and perspective of what's important in this life. I went through my own major health scare a few years ago and it sure does give a person a sort of wisdom (not intelligence, mind you) that too many others, unfortunately, seem to miss.

Dave:

Much like Parker, I would be lost without my wife of 28 years. Words seem insignificant on a subject as great as this. But, I wish you strength as you continue on your journey. And I'll be sure to give my wife an extra hug tonight.

Matt^Brown

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by BrianW At last year's event, as she was waiting in line at a table where volunteers were passing out muffins, lemonade, and tee-shirts reserved exclusively for the survivors, she heard one miffed volunteer say, "There are just WAY too many survivors this year!"

That is great news. I am happy to say I live in a time when there are so many survivors. I know there is still a Loooooong way to go but it keeps improving everyday.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks