-

Photo
- - - - -

WHV Announcement: Ocean's 11 50th Anniversary (Blu-ray)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#1 of 22 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,947 posts

Posted June 07 2010 - 05:02 AM

Posted Image

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 22 OFFLINE   Reed Grele

Reed Grele

Screenwriter

• 1,007 posts
  • LocationBeacon Falls, CT

Posted June 07 2010 - 05:14 AM

I'll be blind buying this! It's one of my favorite "Rat Pack" movies. Can't wait to hear what Frank Jr. and Angie have to say in the commentary track.

#3 of 22 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,831 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted June 07 2010 - 03:47 PM

WB wants to bankrupt me this year!  I'll be following Reeds lead and doing a blind buy on this one.

#4 of 22 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,413 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted June 07 2010 - 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Reed Grele 

I'll be blind buying this! It's one of my favorite "Rat Pack" movies.

Hmmm.  It's a blind buy...yet a favorite.  /img/vbsmilies/htf/crazy.gif  I'm a little confused.  /img/vbsmilies/htf/laugh.gif

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#5 of 22 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 1,841 posts

Posted June 07 2010 - 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Frezon 

Hmmm.  It's a blind buy...yet a favorite.  /img/vbsmilies/htf/crazy.gif  I'm a little confused.  /img/vbsmilies/htf/laugh.gif

A "blind buy" is when you place your order without knowing if the product is of good quality. In the case of Blu-ray discs, that means without knowing if the sound and picture quality is good, if the disc plays without problems, if there are any interesting extras, etc etc.

"Blind buying" a DVD or Blu-ray disc does not necessarily mean not knowing anything about the movie.

I won't blind buy this BRD of Ocean's Eleven. I'll wait until I have a rough idea of its quality, but if it is good I'll definitely buy it. I'd love to have Dean Martin and Sammy Davis singing in HD sound.  I'd love to have Angie Dickinson in Hi-Def too! 

#6 of 22 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,261 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted June 08 2010 - 12:29 AM

It's a very entertaining movie, and I'll be getting it for sure, but I would love to know the decision-making process that chose this pleasurable caper film over classics like Singing in the Rain or Meet Me in St. Louis for Blu-ray release this year. Did Warners run some kind of poll on their website? Did An American in Paris and Gigi sell especially poorly on Blu-ray last year?

#7 of 22 OFFLINE   Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter

• 1,376 posts

Posted June 08 2010 - 01:15 AM

Singing in the Rain still needs a lot of work (the current HD master is not up to par by today's standards) and Warner want to do it right instead of doing it quickly. Too bad not all companies have the same philosophy (you know who you are).

Don't know about "Meet Me..." though.

#8 of 22 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,413 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted June 08 2010 - 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Robin9 

"Blind buying" a DVD or Blu-ray disc does not necessarily mean not knowing anything about the movie.

And yet that has always been my understanding of the meaning of the phrase.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

#9 of 22 OFFLINE   Gary Miller

Gary Miller

Stunt Coordinator

• 68 posts

Posted June 08 2010 - 12:30 PM

Yup...can't wait to hear Sammy croonin' E-O Eleven in lossless audio. Lucky 7-11 or snake eyes, I'm rolling the dice on this one.

#10 of 22 OFFLINE   PaulDA

PaulDA

Screenwriter

• 2,580 posts
  • LocationSt. Hubert, Quebec, Canada

Posted June 09 2010 - 06:15 AM

Mine too.  Whenever I say I made a "blind buy", it is something I have NOT seen before.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes time, and it annoys the pig.

#11 of 22 OFFLINE   Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,303 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted June 09 2010 - 01:59 PM

I'd love to have Dean Martin and Sammy Davis singing in HD sound.  I'd love to have Angie Dickinson in Hi-Def too!  

Well, if you want to hear Dean sing and see Angie in hi-def in the meantime, you can always check out the Blu Ray of Rio Bravo.  As Meatloaf says, "Two out of three ain't bad."

RE:  "Blind Buy"

I'd normally also apply it to buying a movie I hadn't previously seeen - but in this age of better displays and players, I can also see using it to mean buying a transfer I hadn't seen of a movie I had.  But if I were writing a dictionary definition of the term, "movie the buyer hasn't seen before" would definitely be the main entry.

Regards,

Joe

#12 of 22 OFFLINE   Brian Borst

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

• 1,137 posts

Posted June 10 2010 - 06:20 AM

I think that he means you can know something about the movie, you just haven't seen it yet. While 'blind buying' would perhaps strictly mean that you don't know anything about a title at all.

Never go out with anyone who thinks Fellini is a type of cheese

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection

#13 of 22 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 4,007 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted June 10 2010 - 01:23 PM

And may I add that Angie is smokin' hot in Rio Bravo.

Originally Posted by Joseph DeMartino 

Well, if you want to hear Dean sing and see Angie in hi-def in the meantime, you can always check out the Blu Ray of Rio Bravo.  As Meatloaf says, "Two out of three ain't bad."

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#14 of 22 OFFLINE   Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,264 posts

Posted June 10 2010 - 01:47 PM

Rio Bravo is a great movie and one of the very first BDs I ever bought.

I will buy this also if a good price comes along.  George Raft on Blu-Ray!    Unless I'm overlooking something this means he will have more films on BD that his gangster contemporaries Jimmy Cagney and Eddie Robinson.

Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#15 of 22 OFFLINE   GlennH

GlennH

Screenwriter

• 2,125 posts

Posted June 10 2010 - 05:09 PM

I saw Ocean's 11 (1960) in HD on cable on the old INHD channel (later changed it's name to MOJO, now gone completely) several years ago now. I remember thinking that it looked very good. This Blu-ray should only improve on that.

#16 of 22 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,146 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted June 10 2010 - 05:39 PM

This movie is truly "Cool".

I have over 1300 dvd's and Blu's combined, I guess every single one was a blind buy then going by that definition.

facebook.com/whotony

#17 of 22 OFFLINE   BethHarrison

BethHarrison

Second Unit

• 435 posts

Posted June 11 2010 - 01:12 AM

I'm happy just having this film on DVD. I have the original Australian DVD released around 2002, it is a very good transfer even considering it is 8 years old. I'm sure this Blu-ray will improve on it, but it just isn't one of my favourite films.

I'd buy Some Came Running on Blu-ray, that's probably my favourite Sinatra film.

#18 of 22 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,413 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted June 11 2010 - 02:06 AM

I've never heard "blind buy" mean anything but the purchase of a film never-before-seen.

Here's a possible origination of the phrase from our good friends at wikipedia:

Block booking is a system of selling multiple films to a theater as a unit. Block booking was the prevailing practice among Hollywood's major studios from the turn of the 1930s until it was outlawed by the U.S. Supreme Court's decision in United States v. Paramount Pictures, Inc. (1948). Under block booking, "independent ('unaffiliated') theater owners took on large numbers of [a] studio's pictures sight unseen. Those studios could then parcel out second-rate product along with A-class features and star vehicles, which made both production and distribution operations more economical."[1] The element of the system involving the purchase of unseen pictures is known as blind bidding.

#19 of 22 OFFLINE   Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,235 posts

Posted June 11 2010 - 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by Reed Grele 

I'll be blind buying this! It's one of my favorite "Rat Pack" movies. Can't wait to hear what Frank Jr. and Angie have to say in the commentary track.

You know that commentary's already on the existing DVD, right?  I just saw the DVD/listened to the commentary a few weeks ago.  Not wild about the flick, but the commentary's reasonably informative...

Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#20 of 22 OFFLINE   ian spector

ian spector

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted June 12 2010 - 01:30 PM

duplicate