What's new

Asrock wants to change the HTPC Game.. (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
THX Certified HTPC. Near Silent. 3D Bluray certified. LPCM or DTS-MA/TrueHD over HDMI. HDMI 1.4 compliance. USB 3.0 spun all the way around. Audio at 192khz per channel, 8 channel for those that must use analog outputs or will be using it to connect to PC speakers for their solution. Integrated wifi. Mobile I5/I7 for incredible cool performance with almost no fan noise, including the elimination of an internal powersupply.

This is some pretty incredible stuff if the price is right.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Yeah, nowhere near $300 :) Most likely you're talking about $700. Thats a guess. But based on current models, I'd say a pretty good one.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Then its dead to me and likely will go nowhere as a major product.... it will be a neat toy people who don't want a PS3 will fawn over but never use. /rawr =)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Sam will love this:

Asrock ups the game by bundling iPhone apps to allow the iPhone/Ipod Touch to act as a motion controller for Windows MCE and their interface, as well as a direct MB control input.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/03/asrock-aiwi-turns-your-iphone-ipod-touch-into-htpc-motion-cont/

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
When is supposed to be available?

Since they have a USB 3, SATA 3 and eSATA 3 mothboard with Instant On I wonder if they will include this with this new HTPC.

Parker

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
3 more weeks. US availability in July (supposedly). First THX certified HTPC, so for those that need the badge, there is that..

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Matt:

Do you think if you took an LG Blu-ray/HD DVD combo unit and then load a program like TMT 3.0 that it would play back HD DVD?

Also, what would you use as a tuner for this? I have two Hauppauge HVR-2250 cards that work great with MCE to give me 4 tuners. How would you set

up something similar for one of these units since it doesn't appear to have any available PCIe slots.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Parker: TMT3 Doesn't support HD-DVD... however, playback of HD-DVD is possible in MCE7 with that drive, and it's not -too- hard, but there is a bit of a "trick" to it.

In the end, since HD-DVD released their key specs to the community (PD) it just became easier to do other things. I can say something without in any way violating HTF rules: If you have a HD-DVD disc, and you OWN it, the public keys provided will seemlessly archive it, in tact, to Hard Drive, and it is managable using tons of software like Media Browser, etc.

(Note: this does NOT NOT NOT apply to DVD or BD, while the methods may exist for those, the codes were NEVER released, and so doing digital archiving with them is a murky water that has yet to be tested).

But if it's HD-DVD, absolutely, archive away as long as you legitimately own. This was made more open as the keys were released about the same time all HD-DVD was removed from rental shelves (Netflix, Blockbuster, etc.) so the industry is not battling prevention on this and thus the release.

Asrock makes another version of this with a slightly wider case that provides for 3 slots (PCI-E 16, 2x PCI-E x1)

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Matt:

They don't say it on their site but since I use it all the time to watch HD DVD from my combo LG Hitachi Blu-Ray/HD DVD drive I would say that TMT3 does support HD DVD.

What do they call the slightly wider version of the Vision 3D?

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
If you let it auto-update the software, TMT3 support for HD-DVD goes away.. so don't update it ;)

I'm not sure I understand on the second part.

I feel the pain on HD-DVD.. I picked up quite a few when they were cheap. :)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Released today. It's $649 fully assembled, needs an OS (so everything but OS, basically) that's configured with a 500GB/BD/Wireless/Gigabit

Great review here:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3824/asrock-core-100htbd-bringing-htpcs-to-the-mainstream-market/1

While no slots, with SiliconDust prepping Prime (an Ethernet Cablecard solution, providing 3 cable card tuners) expected for release between now-October, there is a great way to add 3 tuners to this in a hurry. And it's access to BD, a gyro-ready remote with mouse supports.. you could have a full functional everything you want in 1 box at sub-1k with full tuner supports, etc.

And, while this is something that doesn't come up here often, if you really want to be cheap, since this does to full 7 channel decoding (whether HDMI or other) those who are wanting a cheap all in one can find this is a HomeTheater in a Box all on it's own.

As drivers update, more features get added. But as it sits, full decoding supports for DTS-MA, DD-HD, as well as bitstreaming of same. Wireless supports. Blueray.

This isn't the "perfect" option. High end BD players will perform better.. though in my tests, any BD that is Java heavy is a different story, this unit would eat my Oppo's lunch on those titles.. but for a home theater room HTPC? This is goodness. And it's compact, slim design with minimal power usage and low noise (about 25db unless full load.. please note: playing BD is nowhere close, about 25% load) is quiet enough that it won't stand out.

Good stuff.

Ordered one for the bedroom, will have results/review soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks