-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Law & Order - The Original is Cancelled After 20 Seasons

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 of 17 John Stell

John Stell

Supporting Actor

• 819 posts

Posted May 14 2010 - 08:29 AM

It's all over the internet now - goodbye Jack McCoy and Company :(

http://ausiellofiles...ls-law-order-2/

"...you would not understand...You do not...have...daughters."

#2 of 17 todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,876 posts

Posted May 14 2010 - 01:13 PM

Surprised they didn't bring it back....Even for a 13 episode season just to break the record.

Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#3 of 17 Michael Harris

Michael Harris

Screenwriter

• 1,344 posts

Posted May 15 2010 - 12:58 AM

While I consider the Briscoe years to be the golden age, "L&O" was solidly reliable.  I knew that if there was nothing else to watch, "L&O" could deliver.  Unfortunately this show dropped of my radar due to it being moved all over the schedule during the dark time of "Leno".  Once it came back at 10, my habits had changed.  Oh well, there is always TNT to catch up.

#4 of 17 Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,523 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted May 15 2010 - 04:13 PM

I can't figure out why they canceled this just to pick up L&O: Los Angeles.

The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#5 of 17 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,998 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted May 15 2010 - 10:55 PM

LOLA is seen as fresh, maybe more likely for higher ratings, and the cost per episode is less.  I'm just surprised in some ways because SVU has turned into one of the craziest, non-LO type shows on TV, it's been completely over the top irrational this last two years.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#6 of 17 Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood

Producer

• 3,215 posts

Posted May 16 2010 - 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by mattCR 

LOLA is seen as fresh, maybe more likely for higher ratings, and the cost per episode is less.  I'm just surprised in some ways because SVU has turned into one of the craziest, non-LO type shows on TV, it's been completely over the top irrational this last two years.

But couldn't they have just had some characters from the original move to LA and keep the same title?

It does seem bizarre to cancel a show and introduce a spinoff at the same time.

I guess NBC's schedule is pretty tight with all their top-ranked shows. /img/vbsmilies/htf/confused.gif

#7 of 17 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,998 posts

Posted May 16 2010 - 06:57 AM

I just find it interesting that the same year "The Bill" gets cancelled, they cancel Law & Order.  Just.. kind of an interesting twist on both sides of the pond.

trakt.tv

#8 of 17 Ken Chan

Ken Chan

Producer

• 3,302 posts

Posted May 16 2010 - 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lockwood 

But couldn't they have just had some characters from the original move to LA and keep the same title?

It does seem bizarre to cancel a show and introduce a spinoff at the same time.

You can't plausibly move more than one character to L.A. (I'm trying to think of all the Joey-style spinoffs where one character moves away somewhere, only to get cancelled.)

But the bigger point is that the existing talent has an existing contract. The bottom line is the bottom line: it's cheaper to start a new show with new actors. And there's the X-factor of it maybe taking off.

The weasels at NBC have demonstrated that at best they have a passable grasp of arithmetic, but not much else, like managing schedules and talent. In fact, actual weasels have a fifty-fifty chance of doing a better job of running a network.

#9 of 17 Walter C

Walter C

Screenwriter

• 2,157 posts

Posted May 17 2010 - 12:06 AM

It is disappointing that the show will not get a proper sendoff, which it should get, for a show that has lasted this long. But no surprise, coming from Jeff Zucker.

TV Episodes Watched - 2009 (1419 ep) / 2010 (1367 ep) / 2011 (1509 ep) / 2012 (1440 ep) / 2013 (1191 ep) / 2014 - August
Feature Films Watched - 2012 (97 seen) / 2013 (100 seen)
Shorts Watched - 2012 (222 seen) / 2013 (87 seen)

Books Read - 2013 (12 read)

#10 of 17 Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood

Producer

• 3,215 posts

Posted May 17 2010 - 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by Ken Chan 

You can't plausibly move more than one character to L.A. (I'm trying to think of all the Joey-style spinoffs where one character moves away somewhere, only to get cancelled.)

People move to another city in real life all the time.

I don't recall CSI: NY or CSI: Miami getting canceled, even though they started with characters appearing on the original show.

#11 of 17 Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,523 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted May 17 2010 - 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by Walter C 

It is disappointing that the show will not get a proper sendoff, which it should get, for a show that has lasted this long. But no surprise, coming from Jeff Zucker.

There is some talk of a TV movie wrap-up sometime next season.

The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#12 of 17 Mary_P

Mary_P

Second Unit

• 451 posts

Posted May 17 2010 - 10:14 AM

Nikki Finke is reporting that negotiations are underway to move the show to TNT -- not reruns, a 21st season:

http://www.deadline....heading-to-tnt/

So nothing firm set yet, but maybe not quite dead yet either.

#13 of 17 Ken Chan

Ken Chan

Producer

• 3,302 posts

Posted May 17 2010 - 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Lockwood 

People move to another city in real life all the time.

I don't recall CSI: NY or CSI: Miami getting canceled, even though they started with characters appearing on the original show.

Yes... people move, but unless they're actually related in some way, they don't do it in groups, usually. (There's the When Harry Met Sally exception.) Why would, for example, ADA Rubirosa and Detective Bernard coincidentally move to L.A. and end up working together?

As for the CSIs, having the new main characters appear in an episode (or two) of the old show in a "back door pilot" is not the same as having some subset of the existing long-running main characters start a different show, while the rest of the old cast goes off and does something else. The former is common practice for spin-offs; the latter rarely works. (Has it ever? If you want to kill some time, look through this list.)

#14 of 17 Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,417 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted May 18 2010 - 08:59 AM

I used to watch this show religiously. . .now I couldn't even tell you what night it's on (and not because I don't *want* to watch it).  I think Criminal Intent's been great recently. . .I *think* it's on Tuesdays, but I'm not sure.  Now they'll have a new show move around and around, and I may or may not notice.

"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#15 of 17 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,998 posts

Posted May 18 2010 - 09:17 AM

While that list is interesting, there have also been quite a few "people move, and the show succeeds"

See:  Frasier.  The Jeffersons.  Boston Legal.  Those would be two examples that fit your: main cast does something else, some completely leave and the show succeeds.

Some have middle level success (see: Private Practice),

trakt.tv

#16 of 17 Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,417 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted May 18 2010 - 10:48 AM

EDIT:  Never mind; misread that post.  :)

"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#17 of 17 Ken Chan

Ken Chan

Producer

• 3,302 posts

Posted May 18 2010 - 11:41 AM

I did say "rarely" /img/vbsmilies/htf/smile.gif

Frasier qualifies, but barely. The character became a regular (right?) although he wasn't initially. But it was just him that moved to Seattle, not him and someone else like Woody.

The Jeffersons? I didn't watch All in the Family, but my impression is that George was not a regular on it. He was a side character they really did spin off. It wasn't a case of, "We're canceling the show, but we're going to try and 'keep the magic alive' by keeping this main character and transplanting them somewhere new," like After-MASH or Joey.

Private Practice is also a "legit" spin-off.

Boston Legal is a special case because the show had already transformed in place. Kinda like L&O in a way: the lead actors/characters had started swapping out. And not that it really mattes, but everyone stayed in Boston.