Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Any word on Barry Lyndon, The Duelists or 1492?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 Flemming.K

Flemming.K

Stunt Coordinator

• 76 posts

Posted May 04 2010 - 08:37 AM

I was wondering if anyone have heard about coming BD releases of

Barry Lyndon, The Duelists or 1492 or if they have been shown in a HDTV broadcast?

And how about movies from Tarkovsky?

Waiting impatiently for Sir Ridley Scotts Prometheus!

Danish filmsite Cinefil

#2 of 12 John Stockton

John Stockton

Second Unit

• 364 posts

Posted May 05 2010 - 10:45 AM

I also want LOLITA. Somehow WB forgot about Barry Lyndon and LOLITA. I hope they get the same treatment as the previous Kubrick films.

#3 of 12 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,030 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted May 05 2010 - 11:12 AM

WB didn't forget about Lolita and Barry Lyndon. At the time (Fall 2007) they were releasing on both formats, and they clearly had sales data that showed those two titles sold notably less on DVD than the other five. I suspect WB will get around to releasing both on Blu-ray eventually, though exactly when is anybody's guess.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#4 of 12 Brian Borst

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

• 1,137 posts

Posted May 06 2010 - 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway 

WB didn't forget about Lolita and Barry Lyndon. At the time (Fall 2007) they were releasing on both formats, and they clearly had sales data that showed those two titles sold notably less on DVD than the other five. I suspect WB will get around to releasing both on Blu-ray eventually, though exactly when is anybody's guess.
I would think that Barry Lyndon and Lolita would sell better paired with the other Kubrick movies, than as standalone releases. They're the least popular Kubrick movies, so they need all the help they can get.

Never go out with anyone who thinks Fellini is a type of cheese

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection

#5 of 12 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,030 posts

Posted May 06 2010 - 11:02 AM

Well, yeah, but they can simply re-promote the other 5 WB owned Kubrick Blu's when the time comes.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#6 of 12 David Wilkins

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor

• 823 posts

Posted May 08 2010 - 04:51 AM

I suppose it's useless to dream about some form of licensing to Criterion. We can dream, can't we?

#7 of 12 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,030 posts

Posted May 08 2010 - 06:21 AM

It's possible Paramount would be willing to license The Duellists.

#8 of 12 Dick

Dick

Producer

• 3,891 posts

Posted May 09 2010 - 08:12 AM

Hope the current relationship between Paramount and Criterion holds out -- THE DUELLISTS would be a great choice for Blu-ray.

#9 of 12 PaulDA

PaulDA

Screenwriter

• 2,575 posts
  • LocationSt. Hubert, Quebec, Canada

Posted May 10 2010 - 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by Brandon Conway 

It's possible Paramount would be willing to license The Duellists.

That would be a release day purchase for me--one of my favourite films set in a historical period.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes time, and it annoys the pig.

#10 of 12 David_B_K

David_B_K

Advanced Member

• 1,400 posts

Posted May 10 2010 - 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by PaulDA 

That would be a release day purchase for me--one of my favourite films set in a historical period.

Ditto for me. It's still my favorite Ridley Scott movie.

#11 of 12 Elijah Sullivan

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor

• 665 posts

Posted May 10 2010 - 06:08 PM

These are all good candidates. Barry Lyndon is my favorite movie, The Duelists is a great Lyndon knockoff (I mean that in a good way) and 1492 would look amazing. I seem to recall the Ridley Scott was approached by HBO at some point about doing a director's cut of 1492 presented as a mini-series. They probably won't release the Blu-ray until after that - if it ever happens.

#12 of 12 WinstonCely

WinstonCely

Stunt Coordinator

• 237 posts

Posted May 17 2010 - 09:36 AM

How I long for Barry Lyndon to be released on Blu-ray from a master created from the original film elements!  Lovingly crafted for the Blu-ray format to get us as close to what Kubrick intended us to see as the format will allow. *sigh*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users