Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Cliffhangers! - A TV series comprising of three revolving serials (The Curse of Dracula, The Secret Empire and Stop Susan Williams)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#41 of 49 OFFLINE   MattHR

MattHR

Screenwriter

• 1,506 posts

Posted June 22 2011 - 08:03 AM

I'm hoping a company like Shout! or Image would pick up this long-lost gem. It could be promoted as "In the spirit of Star Wars and Indiana Jones..." and "From Kenneth Johnson, the creative force behind The Six Million Dollar Man, The Bionic Woman, The Incredible Hulk, V and Alien Nation." There surely should be enough genre fans that would take a chance on its release given those references. I know KJ would certainly contribute commentaries if asked.

#42 of 49 OFFLINE   Timothy E

Timothy E

Supporting Actor

• 889 posts

Posted June 22 2011 - 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by MattHR 
I'm hoping a company like Shout! or Image would pick up this long-lost gem. It could be promoted as "In the spirit of Star Wars and Indiana Jones..." and "From Kenneth Johnson, the creative force behind The Six Million Dollar Man, The Bionic Woman, The Incredible Hulk, V and Alien Nation." There surely should be enough genre fans that would take a chance on its release given those references. I know KJ would certainly contribute commentaries if asked.

That is a very accurate description of the series, and anyone who likes Star Wars or Indiana Jones is likely to appreciate Cliffhangers.  This series really did capture the spirit of the movie serials in the same way as these modern day film series.

#43 of 49 OFFLINE   AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney

Screenwriter

• 1,994 posts
  • LocationKentucky, USA

Posted June 23 2011 - 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by MattHR 

Yes, I understand your reasoning and would like to believe a smaller US company would want to licence the show, but I have serious doubts that a US label would be willing to take a chance on paying the licence fee for what is, we must all admit, is a "niche" series.

When I mentioned to Grant that Kenneth was very accessible and would probably love to contribute to extras, he seemed to think that was a definite plus. I just hope this gets released by someone, even if it is 'down under' and in PAL.

#44 of 49 OFFLINE   MattHR

MattHR

Screenwriter

• 1,506 posts

Posted June 23 2011 - 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by AndyMcKinney 

Yes, I understand your reasoning and would like to believe a smaller US company would want to licence the show, but I have serious doubts that a US label would be willing to take a chance on paying the licence fee for what is, we must all admit, is a "niche" series.

When I mentioned to Grant that Kenneth was very accessible and would probably love to contribute to extras, he seemed to think that was a definite plus. I just hope this gets released by someone, even if it is 'down under' and in PAL.

While I'd prefer a U.S. NTSC release, I'd gladly accept a release from anyone willing to release it. When it comes to extras, however, U.S. releases almost always fare better.

#45 of 49 OFFLINE   Darby67

Darby67

Second Unit

• 319 posts

Posted November 14 2011 - 02:01 PM

Here is a nice review of the show with full clips of all three segments from the first episode: http://www.horrorphi...es-1979-review. Seeing those segments again (my first time since it originally aired) really whetted my appetite for a complete series DVD release! C'mon, some outifit pick up the rights and get this gem of a show finally released! Darby

#46 of 49 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,394 posts

Posted November 19 2011 - 02:12 PM

Yes, I understand your reasoning and would like to believe a smaller US company would want to licence the show, but I have serious doubts that a US label would be willing to take a chance on paying the licence fee for what is, we must all admit, is a "niche" series. When I mentioned to Grant that Kenneth was very accessible and would probably love to contribute to extras, he seemed to think that was a definite plus. I just hope this gets released by someone, even if it is 'down under' and in PAL.

I dunno; I've seen dumber and more obscure series plop out on dvd and they sell well. I think Universal simply hasn't gotten around to Cliffhangers yet. Most of the powers that be over there probably never even heard of it. It's just a title on a list of properties to them. We need someone with a little passion for the show to get something stirred up. I think a complete dvd with the missing lost episode would sell okay; I'm never going to sit here and pretend that it'd be a best seller. The show is nearly forgotten today and had very few stars. But it still probably would hold up well today. I certainly had a good time watching it way way back in the day--

#47 of 49 OFFLINE   Timothy E

Timothy E

Supporting Actor

• 889 posts

Posted February 16 2013 - 06:19 AM

NBC has been developing a Dracula TV series to air in 2013 with Jonathan Rhys Meyers playing the title role.

Could there be any better time for a complete DVD release of Cliffhangers? (Ideally including bonus features of the telefilms created from series footage:  World of Dracula, Loves of Dracula, and The Girl Who Saved The World.)

#48 of 49 OFFLINE   Darby67

Darby67

Second Unit

• 319 posts

Posted February 16 2013 - 03:29 PM

NBC has been developing a Dracula TV series to air in 2013 with Jonathan Rhys Meyers playing the title role. Could there be any better time for a complete DVD release of Cliffhangers? (Ideally including bonus features of the telefilms created from series footage:  World of Dracula, Loves of Dracula, and The Girl Who Saved The World.)

Timothy: I second that notion! I would love to see a complete series release of Cliffhangers! on DVD. Darby

#49 of 49 OFFLINE   AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney

Screenwriter

• 1,994 posts
  • LocationKentucky, USA

Posted February 17 2013 - 09:52 AM

NBC has been developing a Dracula TV series to air in 2013 with Jonathan Rhys Meyers playing the title role. Could there be any better time for a complete DVD release of Cliffhangers)

Unfortunately, even if the new series turns out to be a hit (and as it's on NBC, ir probably won't be), I doubt anyone at Universal will give Cliff Hangers! a second thought (much as I'd like to have an official copy myself).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users