Cliffhangers! - A TV series comprising of three revolving serials (The Curse of Dracula, The Secret

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by WaveCrest, Apr 27, 2010.

1. MattHR

MattHR Screenwriter

I'm hoping a company like Shout! or Image would pick up this long-lost gem. It could be promoted as "In the spirit of Star Wars and Indiana Jones..." and "From Kenneth Johnson, the creative force behind The Six Million Dollar Man, The Bionic Woman, The Incredible Hulk, V and Alien Nation." There surely should be enough genre fans that would take a chance on its release given those references. I know KJ would certainly contribute commentaries if asked.

2. Timothy E

Timothy E Supporting Actor
    Reviewer

Timothy Ewanyshyn
    That is a very accurate description of the series, and anyone who likes Star Wars or Indiana Jones is likely to appreciate Cliffhangers. This series really did capture the spirit of the movie serials in the same way as these modern day film series.

3. AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney Cinematographer

Yes, I understand your reasoning and would like to believe a smaller US company would want to licence the show, but I have serious doubts that a US label would be willing to take a chance on paying the licence fee for what is, we must all admit, is a "niche" series.

When I mentioned to Grant that Kenneth was very accessible and would probably love to contribute to extras, he seemed to think that was a definite plus. I just hope this gets released by someone, even if it is 'down under' and in PAL.

4. MattHR

MattHR Screenwriter

While I'd prefer a U.S. NTSC release, I'd gladly accept a release from anyone willing to release it. When it comes to extras, however, U.S. releases almost always fare better.

5. Darby67

Darby67 Supporting Actor

Sean
    Here is a nice review of the show with full clips of all three segments from the first episode: http://www.horrorphilia.com/2011/06/17/cliff-hangers-tv-series-1979-review.
    Seeing those segments again (my first time since it originally aired) really whetted my appetite for a complete series DVD release!
    C'mon, some outifit pick up the rights and get this gem of a show finally released!
    Darby

6. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

I dunno; I've seen dumber and more obscure series plop out on dvd and they sell well. I think Universal simply hasn't gotten around to Cliffhangers yet. Most of the powers that be over there probably never even heard of it. It's just a title on a list of properties to them. We need someone with a little passion for the show to get something stirred up. I think a complete dvd with the missing lost episode would sell okay; I'm never going to sit here and pretend that it'd be a best seller. The show is nearly forgotten today and had very few stars. But it still probably would hold up well today. I certainly had a good time watching it way way back in the day--

7. Timothy E

Timothy E Supporting Actor
    Reviewer

Timothy Ewanyshyn
    NBC has been developing a Dracula TV series to air in 2013 with Jonathan Rhys Meyers playing the title role.
    Could there be any better time for a complete DVD release of Cliffhangers? (Ideally including bonus features of the telefilms created from series footage: World of Dracula, Loves of Dracula, and The Girl Who Saved The World.)

8. Darby67

Darby67 Supporting Actor

Sean
    Timothy: I second that notion! I would love to see a complete series release of Cliffhangers! on DVD. Darby

9. AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney Cinematographer

Unfortunately, even if the new series turns out to be a hit (and as it's on NBC, ir probably won't be), I doubt anyone at Universal will give Cliff Hangers! a second thought (much as I'd like to have an official copy myself).