What's new

Anyone else see the shuttle launch this morning? (1 Viewer)

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Wow. That had to be the most beautiful launch I have ever seen.

It was pre-dawn, so the trail was glowing from being backlit by the sun beyond the horizon. And after separation, the glow off the exhaust from the main engines was a ghostly white, looking like a very wide comet tail.

I wish I had a camera that was capable of photographing the sky like that. It was just amazing.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
My sister works for NASA and my parents live down there too. My parents watch all the launches from their backyard. I've toured all the facilities down there with my sister, but I've yet to see a shuttle launch. The couple times I've been down there to see one it was delayed a few days and I had already left for home.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
This is more or less what it looked like from my house. Not my photo. I found the picture via google.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jmerc83/4492499067/

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Yeah, that's the NASATV footage being used on some news broadcast. I had NASATV on my TV. I generally watch the first 30 seconds and last 2 minutes of powered ascent on TV, and the rest from my driveway. :)

NASA will have all sorts of clips online in the next couple days. My favorite is always the SRB inward-facing nose camera (not transmitted live), followed by the downward facing umbilical cam, which is used in the live footage.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks