Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Why do I see so many artifacts while watching STANDARD DVDs?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   AmusingistheDawn

AmusingistheDawn

Stunt Coordinator

• 155 posts

Posted April 02 2010 - 03:32 PM

It also happens when a bluray disc is on the loading screen...it shows artifacts almost like a vague white snow in the backround, but once the bluray is finished loading, it's crystal clear...except if I'm watching a standard DVD, then the artifacts stay throughout the movie and it sucks.

Samsung HL61A750  -PS Audio Soloist into Quintet  -Denon 2808CI  -Denon DCD-3520 (Burr-Brown OPA-627opamps & Elna Silmic II capacitors)  -Panasonic DMP-BD35K  -Dish Vip722  -Harmony One  -Klipsch KLF-20's (HT mains)  -Klipsch KLF C-7 (Crites crossover)  -Klipsch S-2's  -Klipsch RW-10 

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   David Willow

David Willow

Babbling Idiot

• 2,205 posts
  • LocationMechanicsburg, PA

Posted April 03 2010 - 02:08 AM

Do you have all the updates for your Panny BD35K?  I have the BD30K and there were at least 8 updates to the firmware over the first year.  Many improvements to playback (especially DVD playback).

I’m training to run a marathon for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, to raise life-saving funds to help those fighting blood cancers. Please help! See details and donation link here.

Dolby and DTS Plaques (downloads)
Audyssey Setup Guide

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen

Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.

• 6,362 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted April 04 2010 - 11:53 AM

hi please define artifacts. snow ? sparkles?

The Sonodome - circa 2001
The Newest Sonotube - circa 2001
Gregg's DVDs updated...sometimes
Lion Audio Video Consultants usually current

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   AmusingistheDawn

AmusingistheDawn

Stunt Coordinator

• 155 posts

Posted May 31 2010 - 10:51 AM

Sparkles I guess would describe it best.  It's almost as if it is upconverting and filling in the missing pixels with white dots.  It is very vague if you look quickly, but it is very noticeable if you are watching a movie.  It only does it on standard dvd's and the loading screens on blu rays.
Samsung HL61A750  -PS Audio Soloist into Quintet  -Denon 2808CI  -Denon DCD-3520 (Burr-Brown OPA-627opamps & Elna Silmic II capacitors)  -Panasonic DMP-BD35K  -Dish Vip722  -Harmony One  -Klipsch KLF-20's (HT mains)  -Klipsch KLF C-7 (Crites crossover)  -Klipsch S-2's  -Klipsch RW-10 

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen

Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.

• 6,362 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted May 31 2010 - 11:57 AM

try changing out the HDMI cable and or bypassing the AVR (if you are using one).

The Sonodome - circa 2001
The Newest Sonotube - circa 2001
Gregg's DVDs updated...sometimes
Lion Audio Video Consultants usually current

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   AmusingistheDawn

AmusingistheDawn

Stunt Coordinator

• 155 posts

Posted June 01 2010 - 06:46 AM

My hdmi is run about 20 feet and is close, but not ran together, with speaker wire and power cable.  I'm guessing hdmi isn't very sensitive to electrical noise since it's almost always in such close proximity to power cables in rack situations. What is a good brand hdmi for such a long run?  Maybe my cable just isn't up to the challenge. I will bypass the avr and see what happens.  If it does change, how do I correct the problem?

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   AmusingistheDawn

AmusingistheDawn

Stunt Coordinator

• 155 posts

Posted June 25 2011 - 11:14 AM

I changed the HDMI cable from the AVR to the PS3 player, and I still have "sparkles" upon loading screens, and during SD DVD playback.  No sparkles during full 1080p blu-ray movies, only during the loading screens or if it's an SD movie.   Before I replace the cable from the TV to the AVR, any other suggestions on why I have these "sparkles"?  -thanks

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter

• 1,699 posts

Posted June 25 2011 - 12:15 PM

I'd speculate that it's the player at fault.  Can you turn off SD Upconversion on the player, and let the monitor handle it? Leo

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   AmusingistheDawn

AmusingistheDawn

Stunt Coordinator

• 155 posts

Posted June 26 2011 - 07:29 AM

It's not the player.  I changed from a panny to a ps3, and I get the sparkles at the same points.  I notice now that with netflix steaming...I see sparkles throughout the loading screen and during SD and HD movies.  I have a feeling it is the cable from the Denon AVR to the TV.  It's 15ft of cable.  I ordered from monoprice a 22gauge 20 foot hdmi cable...so hopefully that fixes it.  It's just wierd that it doesn't show up while watching dish network at all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users