-

Photo
- - - - -

SONY and Paramount - where is your classics out put for 2010?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 Greg_M

Greg_M

Screenwriter

• 1,193 posts

Posted March 16 2010 - 05:34 AM

Sony has only a few titles scheduled for Blu-ray this year - "The Karate Kid I & II" and "The Natural" - where's the rest?

Whatever happened to "Lawrence of Arabia" "Bridge on the River Kawi" "Funny Girl"?

Paramount has "The African Queen" but that's about all. It's already March and there are no anouncements through mid year?

Even Fox and Universal are pretty silm (At least "Spartacus" is coming)

#2 of 9 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,143 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted March 16 2010 - 05:46 AM

Other than Q1 and Q2 often being slow like this for catalog releases, I think we're seeing the effects of a down economy as well. These releases aren't done in a vacuum, and prepping them takes several months, if not a year or more. Many releases that would have needed to be green lit long ago probably weren't due to financial reasons.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#3 of 9 Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher

Producer

• 3,015 posts
  • LocationFishkill, NY

Posted March 16 2010 - 09:19 AM

I can't speak for Paramount, but Sony is now announcing titles only about 60 days prior to the street date. Right now there is nothing on Sony's official release list after May 18, so it's too early to speculate about what the rest of the year will bring.

Rich Gallagher

#4 of 9 Daniel Bakken

Daniel Bakken

Agent

• 44 posts

Posted March 17 2010 - 04:19 PM

The Ten Commandments from Paramount was rumored at the Digital Bits over 2 years ago for BR, what happened? Does anyone know if it is because of restoration work? I'd be OK if that were the reason.

#5 of 9 ajabrams

ajabrams

Second Unit

• 258 posts

Posted March 19 2010 - 07:02 AM

Paramount indeed seems to be very reticent about issuing their classics on BD -- maybe they're waiting to see how AFRICAN QUEEN does. I can't imagine that it won't sell well.

#6 of 9 Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted March 19 2010 - 07:44 AM

African Queen would probably sell even more if it included a lossless audio track.  I've pretty much given up on Paramount because even when they do release a classic they always find some way to screw it up.

Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#7 of 9 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,174 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted March 19 2010 - 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajabrams View Post

Paramount indeed seems to be very reticent about issuing their classics on BD -- maybe they're waiting to see how AFRICAN QUEEN does. I can't imagine that it won't sell well.
That's no different than how they were about classics on DVD over the past few years.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I will not support anything your company produces until then.

#8 of 9 Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson

Supporting Actor

• 871 posts

Posted March 19 2010 - 12:50 PM

Most of what's being released on Blu-ray are movies where it really doesn't matter. Does anyone enjoy "Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle" more on Blu-ray than DVD? Does anyone think the format makes any difference? To use William Goldman's phrase, a lot of Blu-rays now are a case of "washing garbage." When you're done, it's still garbage.

#9 of 9 Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,091 posts

Posted March 20 2010 - 10:02 AM

But Sony has some eagerly-awaited Oscar-winners that could hugely benefit from Blu, including the aforementioned BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI (which I hope doesn't get shoved back to await its 2012 55th anniversary), LAWRENCE OF ARABIA, OLIVER! ON THE WATERFRONT...

The sad fact is, while these will eventually get their HD release, the ratio of consumers standing in line to buy these as opposed to, say, DID YOU HEAR ABOUT THE MORGANS? is probably very small, so why rush? Looking at it optimistically, perhaps Sony is putting an enormous amount of time and effort into rerstorations of these classics, thus the long wait.