What's new

Ken Russell's THE DEVILS ? (2 Viewers)

Martin S

Stunt Coordinator
So its now about a year since the last mention of this i think.Apologies if there's a thread that i haven't found although i read a couple of older ones. Any further info on this title? Is it ever going to appear? Has an actual reason surfaced why this classic remains 'lost' ?

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I can't quite imagine this title as emerging from the Archives series, but who knows? Otherwise, it would be a very niche sort of release.

MilesH

Stunt Coordinator
I seriously doubt we will ever see Warner releasing it given the content. They should just license it to Criterion instead of sitting on it forever.

Martin S

Stunt Coordinator
I am seriously amazed in this day and age, with all the highly controversial films that come out, that anything in this film could be seen as a problem! Its also not just some nobody-director that created it. THE DEVILS is a wonderful film and its criminal that it remains hidden away.What i can't ever understand with these things is why can't anybody just come out and state the reason for its absense? Why does it all have to be cloak & dagger stuff? Whats the big deal in just simply saying..'we're not putting it out because...'

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I'm not familiar with the film, but I'm very eager to check it out.

When WB opened their archive, I assumed that one of the key reasons was to provide a distribution point for controversial fare. To date, that has proven to be a complete fantasy of mine.....and to date, I still have not purchased anything. :(

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
QUOTE -They should just license it to Criterion instead of sitting on it forever.

This is my only hope for the film as I have given up ever seeing a Warner release on DVD. I just wish someone at warner would come out and say why they won't or can't release it already.

to_the_9

Auditioning
Real Name
Eliot
There has to be some reason - I can't believe it would be a matter of content or controversy, but it's hard to image what else could be the problem. It was remastered and re-edited with the entire "Rape of Christ" sequence not too many years ago, correct, for a forthcoming release? So it obviously isn't a matter of quality; it was screened on BBC, correct? Its absence on official SD/BD is frankly startling.

Please, throw Criterion a bone here! Losing the StudioCanal titles is bad enough, but if Warner is keeping "The Devils" just to sit on it for the rest of eternity...I don't think I could handle it.

(I now have an urge to go re-watch that terrible bootleg...)

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Looking forward to your full report, Chuck!

Also looking forward to seeing it screened tomorrow night at the Walter Reade in the presence of Ken Russell. Haven't been there in a while, but I know they haven't restricted the use of cameras at these events in the past, so I hope to get some video of Russell's participation.

kagemusha98

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken Koc
I will also be there on friday night. It is apparently the only night that THE DEVILS will be shown in 35mm.

ajabrams

Second Unit
Real Name
Alan Abrams
Wow - great pictures!! I was there as well. It was quite an evening. Russell is truly one of my idols and a tremendously nice man, I'm going back on Sunday for SAVAGE MESSIAH and THE BOYFRIEND. Can't wait.

kagemusha98

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken Koc
I will be there sun as well. I was the one who asked the question about the suppression of the DVD and also ITunes release

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Looks like I got a couple of Vanessa talking with you, Ken:

Agree about the Q&A veering off into the political as opposed to staying with the film, but that's the way that one question went and Redgrave ran with it. She's fabulous, though.

I was surprised at the print being the usual cut, and in less than great shape. Did I actually go there expecting a fresh one from the studio? Well, sort of, considering the iTunes and Spain DVD situation...which by the way they didn't really answer, either, to anyone's great satisfaction. (Or did I miss something there?) And considering the notice posted about the condition of the other prints, perhaps there's little or no studio cooperation on this venture. THE DEVILS print was from Harvard's archive, if I heard that right.

I'll post more later.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
I have to say the print looked pretty damned good to me. I'm expecting issues on THE BOYFRIEND and some of the others based on the disclaimer posted at the box office. As to studio cooperation, WB is obviously involved as they own the exhibition rights. Whether the studio provided the print or not, FSLC must receive permission from WB and pay a licensing fee, in all liklihood, to screen THE DEVILS publicly. If the studio didn't want the theater to play the film or any of the others they control, we wouldn't be seeing them in the "Russellmania!" series and there likely wouldn't be a series then. It's safe to say there probably isn't a better print in this country or FSLC would be playing it. As to a better print possibly existing overseas, exorbitant international print shipping costs usually quash the chance for such a print to play in the States or vice versa, unless multiple venues here commit to playing said print and contributing to shipping / insurance costs.

As to Redgrave's politicized answer, as I recall, and, granted, I started to lose the plot somewhere, she took a vague answer from Russell about having to use a "magnifying glass" to find humanity, and ran with it. I've seen it happen before at these kinds of things when there isn't a moderator strong enough to bring things back to the discussion. The film was barely discussed, unfortunately. But, Gavin Smith of the Film Society / Film Comment wasn't really able to corral the discussion and Russell didn't seem too interested in elucidating or being "corralled." It was more or less one of those "I'm so glad to be in your presence Mr. Russell and Ms. Redgrave and I'll just tiptoe around you" q & a sessions. It was all over after Russell squashed Smith's question / comment about Russell's presumed Catholic faith or lack thereof.
Originally Posted by Chas in CT

Looks like I got a couple of Vanessa talking with you, Ken:

Agree about the Q&A veering off into the political as opposed to staying with the film, but that's the way that one question went and Redgrave ran with it. She's fabulous, though.

I was surprised at the print being the usual cut, and in less than great shape. Did I actually go there expecting a fresh one from the studio? Well, sort of, considering the iTunes and Spain DVD situation...which by the way they didn't really answer, either, to anyone's great satisfaction. (Or did I miss something there?) And considering the notice posted about the condition of the other prints, perhaps there's little or no studio cooperation on this venture. THE DEVILS print was from Harvard's archive, if I heard that right.

I'll post more later.

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Points taken about the print. I deliberately sat down front this time in the hope of grabbing a few pictures, and while that paid off, it was at the expense of optimal viewing enjoyment. Still, truly great to see it on the big screen again.

My take-home from last night, the "KR" on the movie tie-in paperback I've had since seeing the film in L.A. in the early '70s:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks