Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Oppo to introduce lower cost BD player

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 of 14 Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker

Screenwriter

• 1,006 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted December 22 2009 - 05:03 AM

According to EngadgetHD (http://hd.engadget.com/2009/12/22/oppo-to-add-a-lower-cost-blu-ray-player-to-its-lineup/#comments), Oppo announced on their Twitter feed that a lower priced blu-ray player is coming soon. From twitter...

Quote:
We will be announcing a lower-cost Blu-ray player in early January 2010. Visit www.oppodigital.com around that time to learn more.

I don't suppose anyone has any more information on this? I am guessing not. I was getting read to buy a BD player, guess I will have to wait now.

-Keith
As far as I'm concerned, it's a damned shame that a field as potentially dynamic and vital as journalism should be overrun with dullards, bums, and hacks, hag-ridden with myopia, apathy, and complacence, and generally stuck in a bog of stagnant mediocrity. - Hunter S. Thompson, 1958, from cover letter he wrote for a newspaper job.

#2 of 14 JPcommanderLTD

JPcommanderLTD

Auditioning

• 9 posts

Posted December 31 2009 - 08:11 PM

I found this on the blu-ray.com. (http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=3948)

Oppo Digital, the maker of the acclaimed but pricy BDP-83 Blu-ray player, has announced on its Twitter page: "We will be announcing a lower-cost Blu-ray player in early January 2010." There is no information regarding technical details or specific pricing at this time, but people interested are encouraged to visit the company's website "around that time" (presumably coinciding with CES) to learn more. 

A company representative also revealed that they are investigating several streaming options

#3 of 14 Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,547 posts

Posted January 01 2010 - 12:38 AM

Michael,

Welcome to the forum.

Please read our rules again: it's not "done" to completely copy a message or article from elsewhere. Just point to it, if they find it interesting people will read it "in place".

Cees

#4 of 14 ScottJH

ScottJH

Second Unit

• 483 posts

Posted January 01 2010 - 01:50 AM

Also there's already been a thread started about this in the HD Hardware section. http://www.hometheat...-cost-bd-player

#5 of 14 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,121 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted January 01 2010 - 03:48 AM

To keep the discussion about this new Oppo BR Player, I merged two threads together. 

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#6 of 14 cmchen0

cmchen0

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted January 01 2010 - 06:20 AM

I really like Oppo BR player, but they are sure expensive. It is nice to hear that the company is releasing a lower cost BR player. I hope the quality don't decrease though.

#7 of 14 Chris Brunner

Chris Brunner

Second Unit

• 441 posts

Posted January 04 2010 - 05:30 AM

Of course!

This is happening because my wife really outdid herself and bought me a BDP-83 for Christmas. :(

It's not the lower price that will make me sick, it's if there are newer/better features. I didn't want just ANY BD player and had a hard time convincing her the justification of the 83 over $120-199 players she regularly saw in local shops.

Worst Timing EVER!

C

#8 of 14 Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker

Screenwriter

• 1,006 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted January 13 2010 - 05:01 PM

Well I am little disappointed that Oppo hasn't announced the low cost player they mentioned for early January. Hopefully it won't slide too far down the line. I would settle for mid January or even late January. :)

-Keith

As far as I'm concerned, it's a damned shame that a field as potentially dynamic and vital as journalism should be overrun with dullards, bums, and hacks, hag-ridden with myopia, apathy, and complacence, and generally stuck in a bog of stagnant mediocrity. - Hunter S. Thompson, 1958, from cover letter he wrote for a newspaper job.

#9 of 14 Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,346 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted January 13 2010 - 11:55 PM

The rumors regarding this player do not really excite me. I already own an Oppo 980H, and this new player is supposed to be an upgraded 980H with BD capabilities. I was hoping for something with improved SD-DVD playback and scaling for less cost than the BDP-83.

#10 of 14 Bill Buklis

Bill Buklis

Supporting Actor

• 516 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted January 18 2010 - 11:50 AM

I'd be interested if it was just as good as the BDP-83 on the video side, but stripped down on the analog audio out section (to make it a cheaper player). Most likely I'd be using HDMI bit streaming, so that won't matter. Video, on the other hand,...

Check out my Flickr stream. Join the HTF Flickr Pool.

#11 of 14 chuckg

chuckg

Supporting Actor

• 917 posts

Posted January 21 2010 - 09:08 AM

I think what they should do is put an Oppo BDP-83 in a cheaper case, and sell it for $350 less.   ( re: the Lexicon)
--ignore the man behind the curtain

#12 of 14 Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,600 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted January 22 2010 - 05:03 PM

Official announcement and available for purchase on Monday 1/25.  Here is a link: http://www.oppodigit...blu-ray-bdp-80/  $289

#13 of 14 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,996 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted January 24 2010 - 04:45 AM

Well, it appears from the spec sheet that it's largely the same with one major difference: the cheaper version doesn't have the Anchor Bay VRS.. that's a pretty significant difference in my book, and would definitely cause the change in price to make the higher end version worth it.

But it's likely the entry level model will still be a very nice unit for the price.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#14 of 14 Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,600 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted January 24 2010 - 06:07 AM

I think it is geared toward someone who has a good upconverting AVR or scaler, or who doesn't use it for DVDs.  If any of those apply to you why spend the extra money on a video section you won't use?  Regardless of which works for you they are both outstanding values.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users