Oppo to introduce lower cost BD player

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Keith Plucker, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker Screenwriter
    Supporter

Keith Plucker
    According to EngadgetHD (http://hd.engadget.com/2009/12/22/oppo-to-add-a-lower-cost-blu-ray-player-to-its-lineup/#comments), Oppo announced on their Twitter feed that a lower priced blu-ray player is coming soon. From twitter...

I don't suppose anyone has any more information on this? I am guessing not. I was getting read to buy a BD player, guess I will have to wait now.

-Keith

2. JPcommanderLTD

JPcommanderLTD Auditioning

I found this on the blu-ray.com. (http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=3948)

Oppo Digital, the maker of the acclaimed but pricy BDP-83 Blu-ray player, has announced on its Twitter page: "We will be announcing a lower-cost Blu-ray player in early January 2010." There is no information regarding technical details or specific pricing at this time, but people interested are encouraged to visit the company's website "around that time" (presumably coinciding with CES) to learn more.

A company representative also revealed that they are investigating several streaming options

3. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Michael,

Welcome to the forum.

Please read our rules again: it's not "done" to completely copy a message or article from elsewhere. Just point to it, if they find it interesting people will read it "in place".

Cees

4. ScottJH

ScottJH Supporting Actor

Scott
  5. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    To keep the discussion about this new Oppo BR Player, I merged two threads together.

Crawdaddy

6. cmchen0

cmchen0 Auditioning

I really like Oppo BR player, but they are sure expensive. It is nice to hear that the company is releasing a lower cost BR player. I hope the quality don't decrease though.

7. Chris Brunner

Chris Brunner Second Unit

Of course!

This is happening because my wife really outdid herself and bought me a BDP-83 for Christmas. :(

It's not the lower price that will make me sick, it's if there are newer/better features. I didn't want just ANY BD player and had a hard time convincing her the justification of the 83 over $120-199 players she regularly saw in local shops.
    Worst Timing EVER!

C

8. Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker Screenwriter
    Supporter

Keith Plucker
    Well I am little disappointed that Oppo hasn't announced the low cost player they mentioned for early January. Hopefully it won't slide too far down the line. I would settle for mid January or even late January. :)

-Keith

9. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer
    Supporter

The rumors regarding this player do not really excite me. I already own an Oppo 980H, and this new player is supposed to be an upgraded 980H with BD capabilities. I was hoping for something with improved SD-DVD playback and scaling for less cost than the BDP-83.

10. Bill Buklis

Bill Buklis Supporting Actor
    Supporter

Bill Buklis
    I'd be interested if it was just as good as the BDP-83 on the video side, but stripped down on the analog audio out section (to make it a cheaper player). Most likely I'd be using HDMI bit streaming, so that won't matter. Video, on the other hand,...

11. chuckg

chuckg Supporting Actor

I think what they should do is put an Oppo BDP-83 in a cheaper case, and sell it for $350 less. ( re: the Lexicon)

12. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
  13. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt
    Well, it appears from the spec sheet that it's largely the same with one major difference: the cheaper version doesn't have the Anchor Bay VRS.. that's a pretty significant difference in my book, and would definitely cause the change in price to make the higher end version worth it.

But it's likely the entry level model will still be a very nice unit for the price.

14. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    I think it is geared toward someone who has a good upconverting AVR or scaler, or who doesn't use it for DVDs. If any of those apply to you why spend the extra money on a video section you won't use? Regardless of which works for you they are both outstanding values.