Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Survivor - Heroes vs. Villians (season 20) official discussion thread

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
514 replies to this topic

#41 of 515 OFFLINE   Stan

Stan

Screenwriter

• 2,264 posts

Posted February 12 2010 - 02:02 AM

Not sure what woman Cirie was talking to about setting up a final two alliance, but I have a pretty good feeling they'll go far. Only watched the first half of the show so far, didn't realize she was being considered for a possible vote-off, so my opinion may change, but I've always liked her and how she plays. Sneaky but way more powerful behind the scenes than the other players realize.

Tom Westman sure surprised me, only a few years since winning, he's up 40-50 pounds of flab. Must have bought himself a nice home theater setup, looks like the only exercise he's getting is lifting the remote and chowing down on buttered popcorn. Everyone else seems to be in decent shape, even Russell lost a lot of his gut, probably since the last season was so close to this one, didn't have much time to put the weight back on.

Certainly hope Randy gets booted soon, other than a few of those older "power women" who tried to take charge of their tribes and usually only made it a few days, Randy was by far my least favorite player. Coach and Russell are at least entertaining to watch, but Randy is just a rude jack-ass who's pissed at life.
Stan

#42 of 515 OFFLINE   Matt^Brown

Matt^Brown

Supporting Actor

• 623 posts

Posted February 12 2010 - 02:25 AM

I LOVE a two hour premier and I wish they would go back to that formula for every season. One hour just doesn't give you enough time to get into the characters before someone is voted off. There are so many people I like on this season that I am not even sure how to root for someone to win. James, JT, Tom, Boston Rob, Russell and the list goes on. There are a few people I don't like and one of them went home last night. I am just super excited about the show and I like seeing all these great players interact at camp. Wow does Colby not like girls or does he just hate Surgar? Really everyone cuddles at night and he could not get far enough away from that girl.
The Legend is better than reality!

#43 of 515 ONLINE   Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,568 posts

Posted February 12 2010 - 02:47 AM

I liked the 2 hour premiere (they really all should be 2 hours) but I found it ironic that they used 2 hours for the show where you actually know all of the contestants already.

http://static.hometh...vatar-60-11.jpg">

#44 of 515 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,154 posts

Posted February 12 2010 - 03:19 AM

Oh, you are so bad, Hanson.

I came here to specifically post how upset I was that my
favorite eye-candy, Sugar, is the first to be voted out and
you post her picture next to that of Ronald McDonald.

....you sure know how to break a guy's heart.  

Yeah, I'm a little upset that Sugar is gone.  She was
the one I was most looking forward to watching this season.

But you know what?  I look at post #38 above and 
somehow I feel as if all is not lost this season for some
real nice girl-watchin'

Really enjoying this season right from the get-go.  Was
concerned about all the egos, but I like this Hereos vs.
Villains.  Gives you something to really root for.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#45 of 515 OFFLINE   Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts
  • LocationWilmington, Delaware

Posted February 12 2010 - 03:40 AM

Glad I was able to provide you with incentive to stick around, Ron, or at least make you feel better about losing Sugar.

Russell will never learn, he's making the same mistakes he made last time, once again setting the stage to burn bridges with everyone and costing himself the game.

For someone who claims to be so smart about playing this game he's pretty damn ignorant if he doesn't understand that it's a social game as well and that if you fail at that it's a sure fire way to lose.

"That's Jack Bauer!!!!!! He's coming for me!!!!!" - Charles Logan

#46 of 515 ONLINE   Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,568 posts

Posted February 12 2010 - 04:01 AM

I think Russell's game is to show everyone he's playing hard, especially the less strategic players who decide take a ride on the snake train since they don't really have any plans of their own.  Jerri and Pavarti know Russell's selling the same bag of bullshit to everyone else, and Russell knows they know.  But that's his game.

#47 of 515 OFFLINE   Greg Kettell

Greg Kettell

Screenwriter

• 1,232 posts
  • LocationNY Capital Region

Posted February 12 2010 - 04:11 AM

Russell's mistakes took him to the finals last season. And HvV was taped before he found out he didn't win. I don't see why he would think he'd need to change his strategy.

#48 of 515 OFFLINE   Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts

Posted February 12 2010 - 04:19 AM

He needs to change it because his arrogance and feeling of self-entitlement was apparent to the jury.

He expected to win because he lied the best and beat them and he wasn't afraid to proclaim it to their faces...jury's don't like that.

He did well up until it was time to be humble.

#49 of 515 OFFLINE   Matt^Brown

Matt^Brown

Supporting Actor

• 623 posts

Posted February 12 2010 - 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Kettell 

Russell's mistakes took him to the finals last season. And HvV was taped before he found out he didn't win. I don't see why he would think he'd need to change his strategy.

Greg you make a good point. Russell did not know that he was not the sole survivor during this taping and will probably play the exact same game. I think if you brought him back a couple of years down the road he would change his plan a little just like Rob is doing this season.

The Legend is better than reality!

#50 of 515 ONLINE   Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,568 posts

Posted February 12 2010 - 05:37 AM

And you make a good point Matt -- at the time HvV was filmed, Russell was probably convinced that he won Samoa (although that line about playing with contestants who truly understand and appreciate the game fooled me into thinking he had already known he had lost even though I knew going in that HvV was completed before the final Samoa vote).  So why would he change anything?

#51 of 515 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 31,716 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted February 12 2010 - 06:08 AM

John:  Thanks ever so much for those screen caps! 

It was my understanding that this season was taped before Samoa ever aired.  So, I was under the belief that the rest of the cast this season would not have seen Russell's game-play. 

But I guess I'm wrong because several of them commented on the type of player he is. 

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#52 of 515 ONLINE   Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,568 posts

Posted February 12 2010 - 06:20 AM

Season 20 completed filming in August, a month before Samoa premiered.  Whatever they're saying about Russell must have been formed after interacting with him.  Because so many things are shown out of order, the confessionals that are edited in to appear contemporaneous to the action in day one may have been filmed on day three.  Or day 23.  Who knows.

#53 of 515 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 31,716 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted February 12 2010 - 06:29 AM

Thanks for setting me straight on the timeline, Hanson.

While I'd like to think the producers woulde stick fairly close to a chronological timeline with things, I could see where the "producer's interviews" could be manipulated a bit.  It sure did seem like Danielle was familiar with Russell's game after he tried to make that Day One alliance.  I thought Parvati's reaction was pretty sharp after he talked to her.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

#54 of 515 ONLINE   Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,568 posts

Posted February 12 2010 - 06:39 AM

One of the things that are routinely edited are the challenges.  In most cases, best 3 out of 5 is usually a best 5 out of 9, with the editors picking the best moments and changing the order around to create the most dramatic flow.  According to Dalton Ross in his EW blog, it was a first to 5 and not 3 as shown, and Steph actually dislocated her shoulder in the first heat, which was not the heat that was shown first.  Steph went back in for another heat after dislocating her shoulder.  That's why Courtney yelled out, "break her shoulder!", quite an uncommon phrase if there ever was one.  But the way it was edited, it looked like Courtney yelled that, then Danielle obliged and dislocated Steph's shoulder.  In fact, the heroes got off to a 4-0 start before Coach rode Colby to victory.  This also explains why the challenges frequently go to down to the wire -- they're edited that way.

There are also instances of entire legs of challenges being edited out.  It's pretty certain that they also take pick up shots where they have the contestants re-enact parts of the challenge (like the screenshot in Samoa where it appeared Russell touched the pole int he final immunity challenge).  But according to the producers, the challenges themselves and their outcomes are not manipulated.

#55 of 515 OFFLINE   Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts

Posted February 12 2010 - 06:43 AM

My pleasure, Mike.

#56 of 515 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 31,716 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted February 12 2010 - 06:50 AM

Hanson:

That much manipulation is shameful...even if the outcome itself is intact.  I almost wish I was unaware, although I'm always glad to know the truth.

I'd much prefer an accurate representation of events edited to reflect the significant moments--not manipulated to make the outcomes  more interesting. 

#57 of 515 ONLINE   Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,568 posts

Posted February 12 2010 - 07:23 AM

John, I'm just an obsessive nerd who watches way too much TV (I even watch TV on my train commute), although to be clear, I do not suffer from OCD.

Mike, if the editing on Survivor bothers you, then don't watch Hell's Kitchen.  Not only is shit all out of chronology, the challenges usually have Ramsey "judging" the "contests" down to the wire.  Every.  Single.  Time.  It's so rigged that anytime the reward is a photoshoot, the girls team always wins.  If you do watch HK, I hope I didn't ruin too badly it for you.

#58 of 515 OFFLINE   Michael J K

Michael J K

Stunt Coordinator

• 51 posts

Posted February 12 2010 - 08:13 AM

is this the official discussion for Season 20?

#59 of 515 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 31,716 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted February 12 2010 - 08:25 AM

Yup.  We need a change to the thread title.

#60 of 515 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,154 posts

Posted February 12 2010 - 09:25 AM

Consider the title change done! 

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users