Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

WHV Announcement: The Prisoner (2009)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,572 posts

Posted December 15 2009 - 11:37 AM

Posted Image 
Posted Image

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge

Screenwriter

• 2,379 posts

Posted December 15 2009 - 01:24 PM

Heya, Ronald. Thanks for posting this.

Now that I got that out of the way, I got the opportunity to watch the original classic television show last month in its entirety on Comcast InDemand and while I had never watched the original series before, it was an interesting show. However, I was disappointed in this remake. Not only wasn't the remake up to taking on the mantle of the original but the six hours was tedious and too long.

I also noticed that there were drastic changes to the Number 2 character and his interaction with Number 6. While Ian Mckellen and Jim Caviezel were perfect for their roles, I just felt that it deviated too far from what the original series established. I was hoping that the remake would have stayed closer to the original series and while this is mostly impossible where remakes are concerned, I did hope it would stay as close as possible. It just lacked that suave repetoire that existed in the original series between #2 and #6.

I think I'll go back and watch the original series again ...

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,688 posts

Posted December 15 2009 - 01:57 PM

Hmph....if it's "visually stunning" as time magazine says it is.....then one would think Warner would put this on blu-ray.  If they ever decide to release this on BD, then I will consider picking it up.

Recently watched- Love & Other Drugs, Assault On Precinct 13(1976), Lovejoy Christmas Specials, Die Hard 2: Die Harder, Die Hard, Up 3D, The Grandmaster, Edge Of Tomorrow 3D, The Comedy Of Terrors, The Raven(1963), Mulholland Falls, Saturn 3, Cheers: Season 6, Nosferatu: The Vampyre, Battle Beyond The Stars, Invasion Of The Body Snatchers(1978)

Currently watching- Planet Earth, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, The Equalizer: Season 2, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2, WKRP In Cincinnati: Season 1, Arrow: Season 2, Star Trek: Season 1

"Now I have a machinegun.  HO-HO-HO"

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge

Screenwriter

• 2,379 posts

Posted December 16 2009 - 02:03 AM

Joseph, I have watched the entire series, both the original and the remake. I can tell you that this series is not "visually stunning." If they mean by the fact that they use more sand, then yeah, it's more stunning. However, I don't consider "sand" to be visually stunning.

While it was interesting to watch, it's not totally uninteresting, it just doesn't live up to my expectation of being an adequate sequel or a remake to the original series.