WHV Announcement: The Prisoner (2009)

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Ronald Epstein, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge Cinematographer

Heya, Ronald. Thanks for posting this.

Now that I got that out of the way, I got the opportunity to watch the original classic television show last month in its entirety on Comcast InDemand and while I had never watched the original series before, it was an interesting show. However, I was disappointed in this remake. Not only wasn't the remake up to taking on the mantle of the original but the six hours was tedious and too long.

I also noticed that there were drastic changes to the Number 2 character and his interaction with Number 6. While Ian Mckellen and Jim Caviezel were perfect for their roles, I just felt that it deviated too far from what the original series established. I was hoping that the remake would have stayed closer to the original series and while this is mostly impossible where remakes are concerned, I did hope it would stay as close as possible. It just lacked that suave repetoire that existed in the original series between #2 and #6.

I think I'll go back and watch the original series again ...

3. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

Hmph....if it's "visually stunning" as time magazine says it is.....then one would think Warner would put this on blu-ray. If they ever decide to release this on BD, then I will consider picking it up.

4. Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge Cinematographer

Joseph, I have watched the entire series, both the original and the remake. I can tell you that this series is not "visually stunning." If they mean by the fact that they use more sand, then yeah, it's more stunning. However, I don't consider "sand" to be visually stunning.

While it was interesting to watch, it's not totally uninteresting, it just doesn't live up to my expectation of being an adequate sequel or a remake to the original series.