-

Photo
- - - - -

Scrubs: Med School

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

#1 of 23 Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,108 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted December 01 2009 - 02:19 PM

What an inexplicable mess this turned out to be. After giving J.D. a great write-off with last year's season finale, they bring him back even though Braff's only going to be around for six episodes? Cameos by our old regulars that are cute but don't really contribute to anything? I think they would have been better off formally launching this as a spin-off series and only keeping Turk, Cox and Kelso.

I actually like Kerry Bishé as the new protagonist. She's very different from J.D. which is to the show's advantage. Switching off between her voiceovers (aka new show) and J.D.'s voiceovers (aka old show) I think undercut her introduction. The fantasy sequences don't work as well with her character; I'm not sure if it's Bishé's failing or the new writers' failing.

The decision to nuke the old Sacred Heart may help differentiate the new show from the old show, but I thought the hospital scenes lost something moving from filming in an actual hospital to a studio set.

#2 of 23 Shawn Shultzaberger

Shawn Shultzaberger

Supporting Actor

• 708 posts

Posted December 02 2009 - 01:55 AM

I'm willing to give this one a shot.  The first episode did feel like a mess.  The second episode felt a little more cleaned up.  And I'm hoping subsequent episodes will find their groove.

For me there were quite a few "laugh out loud" moments so I'm going to stick with it and hope for the best.

"A human being is part of the whole called by us the Universe. We experience ourselves, our thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest --a kind of optical delusion of consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection...

#3 of 23 Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,410 posts

Posted December 02 2009 - 02:25 AM

The mole on Lucy's face is distracting.  It might take me a few weeks to get used to it.  Lucy appears to be the daughter of JD and Elliot in that the writers put both sets of neuroses in a blender and came up with Lucy.  I find her a bit shrill.

In the end... it's funny enough.  I agree with Shawn that there are enough LOL moments to keep it going.

Better Off Ted returns next week!

#4 of 23 Tom McA

Tom McA

Stunt Coordinator

• 166 posts

Posted December 02 2009 - 04:08 AM

Who whizzed in the USA Today reviewer's Wheaties?  One star?  
http://www.usatoday.com/life/columnist/criticscorner/2009-11-30-critics-corner_N.htm
The premiere wasn't comedy genius, but it certainly wasn't bad.
First episodes always have to lay a lot of new character pipe before they can really get story up to speed.
I thought the reboot was fine.

#5 of 23 Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,410 posts

Posted December 02 2009 - 08:27 AM

He's not alone -- many critics seem to hate this new iteration.  I liked Scrubs, but come on -- it's not like it was Arrested Development.  They act like Med School is pissing on sacred ground.

#6 of 23 Parker Clack

Parker Clack

Executive Producer

• 12,087 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted December 02 2009 - 08:41 AM

I will be watching it and being followed by Better Off Ted will make it even better. I agree that they should have just started it off with a whole new cast and setting. While I it was fun to see the old gang nothing would have been missing if they had left them out of the stories.

"I tried to get my medical records from the company but they say they

are confidential and can only be released to other insurance companies,

pharmaceutical​ reps, suppliers of medical equipment and for some

reason the RNC."

#7 of 23 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,673 posts

Posted December 02 2009 - 11:22 PM

Did it seem like they filmed all the outdoors scenes on the Disney campus?

"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#8 of 23 Todd H

Todd H

Screenwriter

• 2,049 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted December 03 2009 - 12:57 AM

The original finale was just so perfect that I think they should have just called it quits. I did, however, catch both new episodes the other night. Can't say I was that impressed.

#9 of 23 Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,108 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted December 09 2009 - 02:30 AM

Sad to say, J.D. is the worst part of this new "Scrubs".

#10 of 23 Ed Payne

Ed Payne

Agent

• 38 posts

Posted December 09 2009 - 08:44 AM

I know what you mean.  I made the same comment about JD to my wife.  I want to like the show... I really, really do.

Ed

#11 of 23 The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man

Screenwriter

• 1,116 posts
  • LocationTruth or Consequences, New Mexico

Posted December 09 2009 - 04:53 PM

So forgot to catch the opening episodes, but... this is pretty much AfterS*C*R*U*B*S, eh?

#12 of 23 DavidJ

DavidJ

Screenwriter

• 2,495 posts

Posted December 09 2009 - 05:27 PM

I thought this week's episode was a lot better. It's not really breaking new ground, but it was enjoyable and I'll probably keep watching.

#13 of 23 Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,108 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted December 26 2009 - 02:24 PM

Nice to see J.D.'s arc end with one last lesson from Dr. Cox, but the show remains a shadow of its former self. I wonder if J.D. will continue to co-narrate the rest of the season, even though he's off camera.

#14 of 23 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,673 posts

Posted December 26 2009 - 04:36 PM

I think the idea is to transition to Lucy for narration, with JD only narrating if he makes another guest appearance.  

"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#15 of 23 NeilO

NeilO

Screenwriter

• 2,589 posts

Posted January 01 2010 - 02:57 PM

DVR alert.  The Rose Bowl game went late, so shows were shifted about 10 minutes or so.  You might have missed the end on your DVR.

#16 of 23 Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,108 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted January 01 2010 - 03:36 PM

Wait. There was a new episode tonight? Dammit!

#17 of 23 Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell

Screenwriter

• 1,944 posts

Posted January 01 2010 - 09:05 PM

I'm not liking this new version.

#18 of 23 NeilO

NeilO

Screenwriter

• 2,589 posts

Posted January 02 2010 - 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt 

Wait. There was a new episode tonight? Dammit!
At least you can easily grab it off abc.com
There are supposed to be two new episodes on both Scrubs and Ted this coming Tuesday.

#19 of 23 Stan

Stan

Screenwriter

• 2,137 posts

Posted January 05 2010 - 04:47 PM

Just watching the first of tonight's episodes where Drew puts down a guy named Roger, using the line "The second best dentist at a run down strip mall"

Lifetime is running Grey's Anatomy from the beginning and I caught episodes 8,9 and 10 today. Don't remember who said it, but it was the same dentist at a strip mall bit. Might just be a common cliche I've never come across, but Scrubs seems to have lifted it, virtually word for word from a 5 year old Grey's Anatomy. Not a good sign for the quality of this show.

Also, does anyone thing Drew is almost a Dr. Cox clone? Same attitude, mannerisms, speed of talking, speech pattern, etc. The only thing missing is him using girls names for the guys, but that's probably coming soon.
Stan

#20 of 23 Shawn Shultzaberger

Shawn Shultzaberger

Supporting Actor

• 708 posts

Posted January 06 2010 - 01:25 AM

Quote:
"Also, does anyone think Drew is almost a Dr. Cox clone?"

Yes!  It's almost uncanny how similar they act.

"A human being is part of the whole called by us the Universe. We experience ourselves, our thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest --a kind of optical delusion of consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection...