What's new

Scrubs: Med School (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
What an inexplicable mess this turned out to be. After giving J.D. a great write-off with last year's season finale, they bring him back even though Braff's only going to be around for six episodes? Cameos by our old regulars that are cute but don't really contribute to anything? I think they would have been better off formally launching this as a spin-off series and only keeping Turk, Cox and Kelso.

I actually like Kerry Bishé as the new protagonist. She's very different from J.D. which is to the show's advantage. Switching off between her voiceovers (aka new show) and J.D.'s voiceovers (aka old show) I think undercut her introduction. The fantasy sequences don't work as well with her character; I'm not sure if it's Bishé's failing or the new writers' failing.

The decision to nuke the old Sacred Heart may help differentiate the new show from the old show, but I thought the hospital scenes lost something moving from filming in an actual hospital to a studio set.

Shawn Shultzaberger

Supporting Actor
I'm willing to give this one a shot. The first episode did feel like a mess. The second episode felt a little more cleaned up. And I'm hoping subsequent episodes will find their groove.

For me there were quite a few "laugh out loud" moments so I'm going to stick with it and hope for the best.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
The mole on Lucy's face is distracting. It might take me a few weeks to get used to it. Lucy appears to be the daughter of JD and Elliot in that the writers put both sets of neuroses in a blender and came up with Lucy. I find her a bit shrill.

In the end... it's funny enough. I agree with Shawn that there are enough LOL moments to keep it going.

Better Off Ted returns next week!

Tom McA

Stunt Coordinator
Who whizzed in the USA Today reviewer's Wheaties? One star?
http://www.usatoday.com/life/columnist/criticscorner/2009-11-30-critics-corner_N.htm
The premiere wasn't comedy genius, but it certainly wasn't bad.
First episodes always have to lay a lot of new character pipe before they can really get story up to speed.
I thought the reboot was fine.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
He's not alone -- many critics seem to hate this new iteration. I liked Scrubs, but come on -- it's not like it was Arrested Development. They act like Med School is pissing on sacred ground.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I will be watching it and being followed by Better Off Ted will make it even better. I agree that they should have just started it off with a whole new cast and setting. While I it was fun to see the old gang nothing would have been missing if they had left them out of the stories.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
The original finale was just so perfect that I think they should have just called it quits. I did, however, catch both new episodes the other night. Can't say I was that impressed.

Ed Payne

Agent
I know what you mean. I made the same comment about JD to my wife. I want to like the show... I really, really do.

Ed

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I thought this week's episode was a lot better. It's not really breaking new ground, but it was enjoyable and I'll probably keep watching.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Nice to see J.D.'s arc end with one last lesson from Dr. Cox, but the show remains a shadow of its former self. I wonder if J.D. will continue to co-narrate the rest of the season, even though he's off camera.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I think the idea is to transition to Lucy for narration, with JD only narrating if he makes another guest appearance.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
DVR alert. The Rose Bowl game went late, so shows were shifted about 10 minutes or so. You might have missed the end on your DVR.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt

Wait. There was a new episode tonight? Dammit!
At least you can easily grab it off abc.com
There are supposed to be two new episodes on both Scrubs and Ted this coming Tuesday.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Just watching the first of tonight's episodes where Drew puts down a guy named Roger, using the line "The second best dentist at a run down strip mall"

Lifetime is running Grey's Anatomy from the beginning and I caught episodes 8,9 and 10 today. Don't remember who said it, but it was the same dentist at a strip mall bit. Might just be a common cliche I've never come across, but Scrubs seems to have lifted it, virtually word for word from a 5 year old Grey's Anatomy. Not a good sign for the quality of this show.

Also, does anyone thing Drew is almost a Dr. Cox clone? Same attitude, mannerisms, speed of talking, speech pattern, etc. The only thing missing is him using girls names for the guys, but that's probably coming soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks