Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

WHV Announcement: Clint Eastwood 35 Films 35 Years At Warner Bros.

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 of 14 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,333 posts

Posted November 30 2009 - 05:09 AM

#2 of 14 OFFLINE   Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted November 30 2009 - 07:16 AM

Interesting, but i already have the Dirty Harry films as well as his films from the last decade....but where is "Flags of our Fathers" & "Changeling"????

Also is this only DVD or is it Blu-Ray?

#3 of 14 ONLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 23,188 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted November 30 2009 - 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Eric Peterson 

Interesting, but i already have the Dirty Harry films as well as his films from the last decade....but where is "Flags of our Fathers" & "Changeling"????

Also is this only DVD or is it Blu-Ray?

With 35 movies at $180 MSRP, I would imagine it's gotta be DVD only. Flags Of Our Fathers is a Paramount release and Changeling is a Universal title.

#4 of 14 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 6,042 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted November 30 2009 - 09:31 AM

Glad they are honoring one of the truly great actors and directors of our time, but got all the ones I want, which is 98%, and tired of double dipping until KELLY'S HEROES and WHERE EAGLES DARE are released on Blu-ray.  Hat's off to you Mr. Eastwood.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#5 of 14 OFFLINE   Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted November 30 2009 - 10:04 AM

Wow!  I never realized that "Flags of Our Fathers" and "Letters From Iwo Jima" were different studios.  It's hard to believe that Eastwood was able to make two great films in parallel at different studios.  Since the films were tied together, and Eastwood has worked primarily with WB, I made the assumption that they were both WB productions.

Originally Posted by TravisR 

With 35 movies at $180 MSRP, I would imagine it's gotta be DVD only. Flags Of Our Fathers is a Paramount release and Changeling is a Universal title.

#6 of 14 OFFLINE   Jeff Newcomb

Jeff Newcomb

Second Unit

• 279 posts

Posted November 30 2009 - 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Peterson 

Wow!  I never realized that "Flags of Our Fathers" and "Letters From Iwo Jima" were different studios.  It's hard to believe that Eastwood was able to make two great films in parallel at different studios.  Since the films were tied together, and Eastwood has worked primarily with WB, I made the assumption that they were both WB productions.

Flags of Our Fathers and Letters from Iwo Jima were a collaboration between Eastwood and Steven Spielberg, who produced them.  Therefore, they were co-productions between Spielberg's Dreamworks, which is now owned by Paramount, and Eastwood's Malpaso Productions, which is based at Warner.  The deal gave U.S. distribution of Flags to Dreamworks/Paramount and Letters to Malpaso/Warner.

#7 of 14 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,798 posts

Posted November 30 2009 - 03:38 PM

yawn.

a bunch of reissues, half of which are garbage movies to begin with, at a premium price and with the usual overblown packaging and useless photo card stills and giant book. The funny thing is that you can actually order the classy Kurosawa Criterion 25-film set at Amazon now for the same price, if not cheaper. Nice try...

#8 of 14 ONLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 23,188 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted December 01 2009 - 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by MarcoBiscotti 

...at a premium price...

I wouldn't call paying $5.14 for each movie a "premium price" (and $5.14 is the price per movie if someone pays the $180 MSRP for the set). With normal discounts, it'll probably be closer to about $4.00 per movie.

#9 of 14 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,798 posts

Posted December 01 2009 - 02:55 AM

I have no opinions on this set really other than my own lack of interest, but my point was that most people already own these movies so even at twenty-five cents per film... what's the point? also, most of these flicks are terrible imo.

#10 of 14 OFFLINE   Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,387 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted December 01 2009 - 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by MarcoBiscotti ">

I have no opinions on this set really other than my own lack of interest, but my point was that most people already own these movies so even at twenty-five cents per film... what's the point? also, most of these flicks are terrible imo.

Watch it, Marco

ml1fyo.jpg  "Checkmate King Two, 'Out'" "Combat! A Selmur Production"

TV/DVD Collector, mainly 50's thru 90's with a few 2000+ shows.
My 2 all-time favorite TV shows:
"Combat!" & "The Fugitive"
My 2 all-time best blind-buys: "The Fugitive"   "The Donna Reed Show"

#11 of 14 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 6,042 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted December 01 2009 - 04:03 AM

Would not this have been of bigger interest for a Christmas or Holiday gift for the none collector?  The February street date is for the Oscar race I guess.  This reminds me of the 100 disc Musical collection MGM/Fox released last year, only there were two or three never before released discs in that collection, and no one bought that collection.  These collections have to be for the none collector, only anyone this interested in Clint Eastwood already has the movies they want.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#12 of 14 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,895 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted December 01 2009 - 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by MarcoBiscotti 

Your POV and opinion has been noted.

For me, the next time I buy these titles it will be on Blu-ray not SD DVD.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#13 of 14 OFFLINE   Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter

• 1,162 posts

Posted December 01 2009 - 12:49 PM

This set is a bit of a misnomer - WB may own KELLY'S HEROES and WHERE EAGLES DARE, but those were MGM films that predate Eastwood's formation of Malpaso and its long relationship with WB.  It would have made more sense for WB to include FLAGS OF OUR FATHERS; while DW/Paramount do have U.S. rights, WB was a partner, and both films were boxed together before.

It doesn't say anything about whether any of these will be new transfers - some of these discs are from the dawn of DVD, and could stand some refreshing.  A few AFAIK may even be old 1.33 VHS-level presenations.

"As I looked back over my life, I realized that I enjoyed nothing--not art, not sex--more than going to the movies." -- Gore Vidal

#14 of 14 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,333 posts

Posted January 12 2010 - 12:45 PM

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users