What's new

Should slow-motion in Wong Kar Wai's 2046 look juddery? (1 Viewer)

I haven't seen my PS3 react well to slow motion yet. Probably my most disappointing feature of both my HDTV's/PS3's. I'm usually sure that its my TV not processing it correctly... But the slow-motion in 2046 looked so undercranked it really juddered. Can someone enlighten me as to whether this is normal or not?

Kar-Wai is such an experimental filmmaker it easily could be intentional, but I've gotten paranoid since I got my HDTV... So help.

I'm playing with a 50" Plasma of 200Hz or some such.

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor
I haven't seen the movie. There are two ways that are generally used to generate slow motion when shooting film: one is to overcrank the camera (undercranking produces fast motion). The second is to shoot at normal speed and then run the film through an optical printer. Each frame is reshot multiple times.

The first style produces smooth, flowing slow motion. The second produces "jumpy" slow motion. Is that the effect you're seeing?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks