Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

*** Official ZOMBIELAND Review Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 of 20 OFFLINE   Zack Gibbs

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter

• 1,687 posts

Posted October 02 2009 - 01:25 PM

Saw it this afternoon.

I was expecting to like it with all the good reviews, but now I can't honestly give one of my own. After the totally unexpected "B.M." segment, I became completely biased and will love this movie for the rest of my life.

You rock "zombie" B.M.

"Because he's the hero that Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now... and so we'll hunt him... because he can take it... because he's not a hero... he's a silent guardian, a watchful protector... a DARK KNIGHT."

#2 of 20 OFFLINE   David Forbes

David Forbes

Supporting Actor

• 621 posts

Posted October 02 2009 - 03:49 PM

This movie kicked all kinds of ass. The clever integration of "the list" into the movie was worth the price of admission alone. And the cameo is GENIUS.

David Forbes

Read excerpts from book three in my fantasy series at www.davidforbes.net.

#3 of 20 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,079 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted October 02 2009 - 10:46 PM

This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "Zombieland". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.

Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!

If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an
Official Discussion Thread.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#4 of 20 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,079 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted October 03 2009 - 07:39 AM

I'm usually not a fan of zombie films even though I actually watched and enjoyed the original "Night of the Living Dead" in a movie theater 40 years ago.  Anyhow, I had a fun time with this film and the cast was enjoyable to watch and laugh at this type of parody about the "zombie" movie genre.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#5 of 20 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,336 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted October 03 2009 - 07:44 AM

I don't really like the current zombies-are-hilarious movement going on in pop culture but Zombieland is the exception. This is just a solidly funny movie. Like Zack said, there's also a great cameo.

#6 of 20 OFFLINE   Rhett_Y

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter

• 1,259 posts

Posted October 03 2009 - 08:13 AM

Oh, what can I say about this movie.  It was one of the best movies I have seen.  Yes best.  It was funny, good characters, a good amount of blood.  Loved it!!!  The group I went with loved it also.

Cardio!
Oh I got this one!

And yes the cameo is spot on too.  Very funny flick!

My DVD Collection

#7 of 20 OFFLINE   todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,935 posts

Posted October 03 2009 - 04:19 PM

Funniest movie this year.  Was great.
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#8 of 20 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,895 posts

Posted October 04 2009 - 10:58 AM

Enjoyed "Zombieland" from the first reel and throughout its running time.  If you don't enjoy this movie, you're in a coma, or a zombie.

I give it 3 stars, or a grade of B.

"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#9 of 20 OFFLINE   Rhoq

Rhoq

Supporting Actor

• 734 posts

Posted October 05 2009 - 06:24 AM

Saw it twice. Yes, it's that awesome. LOL

Seriously, in addition to what everyone has already said: Zombieland is a well written adult comedy. Also, quite thankful that it isn't bloated with filler. It's a faced-paced 80 minutes of zombie killing goodness.

#10 of 20 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,607 posts

Posted October 07 2009 - 02:58 AM

Robert Crawford's feelings pretty much sums up mine.

I am not generally a fan of zombie movies, but based on
my friends urging to me to see Zombieland, I did, and now
I place it neck-and-neck with my favorite comedy film thus
far this year, The Hangover. 

The only thing I am pissed about is the reviews.  Read a
few and they had the audacity to ruin perhaps the best
cameo to come along in years -- and what a rewarding
cameo that was!

Terrific film.  See it!  

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#11 of 20 OFFLINE   Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,625 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted October 08 2009 - 11:46 PM

Great Zombie flick. Tons of bloody fun from beginning to end. Emma Stone is going to be a major talent.

Three and a half STARS out of 4.
It's gonna be a hell of a ride. I'm ready. .

#12 of 20 OFFLINE   drobbins

drobbins

Screenwriter

• 1,870 posts

Posted October 09 2009 - 12:24 AM

I found the movie a bit slow. They used up the funniest scenes in the trailer. I give it a two out of five.

#13 of 20 OFFLINE   Brett_M

Brett_M

Screenwriter

• 1,333 posts
  • LocationMos Eisley Spaceport

Posted October 09 2009 - 07:50 AM

My wife and I loved this.  I laughed out loud throughout the running time.  Clever and original. 

****/*****
Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it meant to roast in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you.

#14 of 20 OFFLINE   Todd H

Todd H

Screenwriter

• 2,065 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted October 12 2009 - 03:39 AM

Absolutely hilarious! I saw it on Sunday night and the theater was packed. Definitely in the running for my favorite movie of the year.

5/5

#15 of 20 OFFLINE   Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts
  • LocationWilmington, Delaware

Posted February 06 2010 - 11:42 PM

As a big fan of zombie films I thought this was great, Woody Harrelson did a good job of creating the ultimate rogue warrior similar to Bruce Campbell's 'Ash' in the Evil Dead series.

It did suffer from what Roger Ebert calls 'the idiot plot syndrome' at times, like when the girls switched on the amusement park thus attracting every zombie within a five mile radius and then seeking refuge on a ride that would just lower them down to the waiting horde but ah well, it was fun.

Last observation, the lead kid in this film sounded REMARKABLY like Michael Cera! It was ridiculous how much he sounded like him, really.

"That's Jack Bauer!!!!!! He's coming for me!!!!!" - Charles Logan

#16 of 20 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,682 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted February 07 2010 - 07:36 AM

Not a whole lot of plot here, but enjoyable fluff for a $1 Redbox rental.  More a "day in the life" rather than a coherent story with a beginning, middle, and end (but by design, I guess, as the original title was "Another Day in Zombieland"). We're just plopped into the middle of a world where most of the populace are now zombies and ride along with the quartet of characters on a couple days of adventures. As John says, it did suffer from some dumb moments where the characters seemed to do everything they could to attract zombies when they were supposedly trying to avoid them. But I'm on board for Zombieland 2 if they make it.

The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#17 of 20 OFFLINE   Chuck Anstey

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter

• 1,590 posts

Posted February 08 2010 - 03:09 PM

I found Zombieland to be funny and just the right mix of zombie and over-the-top situations and characters.  I was re-watching Hot Fuzz tonight and realized that Zombieland was what Shaun of the Dead should have been.  I didn't find Shaun of the Dead anywhere near as funny or clever as Hot Fuzz and Zombieland.

I am also looking forward to a Zombieland 2 if they make it.

#18 of 20 ONLINE   dpippel

dpippel

Producer

• 3,303 posts

Posted February 09 2010 - 01:18 AM

Wow, I couldn't disagree more. For me Shaun of the Dead is FAR superior to either Zombieland or Hot Fuzz. By a large margin.

Careful man, there's a beverage here!

#19 of 20 OFFLINE   Chuck Anstey

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter

• 1,590 posts

Posted February 09 2010 - 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpippel 

Wow, I couldn't disagree more. For me Shaun of the Dead is FAR superior to either Zombieland or Hot Fuzz. By a large margin.
I'm curious what you found entertaining, funny, or just plain better in Shaun of the Dead that Zombieland failed to achieve?  I like Simon Pegg and Nick Frost so I was very disappointed with SotD.  However I did go in hoping for something like Zombieland and it did not deliver for me as a comedy, a satire or as a dark comedy so maybe my expectations hurt my enjoyment.  When I saw the ads for Zombieland it appeared to be exactly what I was looking for in a comedy/satire of zombie movies after being disappointed in SotD and I was not disappointed in Zombieland.

#20 of 20 OFFLINE   ChristopherG

ChristopherG

Screenwriter

• 1,523 posts

Posted February 09 2010 - 06:36 AM

Count me in as another one who enjoyed SotD WAY MORE than Zombieland.  Zombieland was okay, but I had much higher expectations for some reason.
It takes 52 pounds of pressure to rupture an eyeball... :blink: