What's new

Need help w/upgrade: receiver, sub, maybe more (1 Viewer)

summertime

Auditioning
Real Name
william farzley
I need help. I have a Samsung 42" HD. television,with a bose system. I would like to replace the bose and keep the speakers. I wouud like a receiver and probably subwoofer. We will use the system for movies and music. Room size is 12'X17'. We have two speakers in another rooms and twp outside speakers. I wold like to be able to download Netflix to my computer for viewing on my television. I would like something that will not be up-to-date for at least five years. If possible, I would like to stay below $2000 for the equipment.

Gary Thomas

Second Unit
There are lots of great receivers...Pioneer & Onkyo each have a few well rated models in the $500-$1000 range. Look for the features that are most important to you...like the ability to send sound to a 2nd room. For subs, many like the SVS brand - you may want to check out their line. Roku is a great little gadget for streaming netflix movies. You can pick one of those up for about $100. I recommend you run an ethernet cable from your router to the Roku rather than rely on the wireless option.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Are you saying you want to keep the bose speakers, but get rid of the rest of the system? If so, I would caution against this. Post what bose system you have and we can help more. But many of the bose systems run all the speakers through the bass module which performs crossover duties. That crossover point is likely higher than you would find in any normal receiver, in which case it would not be advisable to hook these speakers directly to a receiver that is using a lower crossover point. In the best case you would be missing a significant portion of the audio spectrum. In the worst case you would damage your speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks