-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Glenn Close "Maxie" re-release on DVD? Who holds the rights to it?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 of 2 Krister_

Krister_

Stunt Coordinator

• 152 posts

Posted July 12 2009 - 12:32 PM

Hi guys,

I really loved the movie "Maxie" from 1985 with Glenn Close & Mandy Patinkin and I wonder if this great movie will be re-released again anytime soon? I think it was released on DVD on MGM but then it went out of print almost directly after it's release so I never got a chance to buy it and I wonder what company who holds it's right at the moment? I also hope for a release soon. Please give you input guys. Is it FOX/MGM who holds the right? I hope someone can tell me the contact to write to to the right company so I can ask about this movie

Sincerely/Krister

#2 of 2 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,602 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted July 12 2009 - 02:24 PM

Orion Pictures released the film under it's own company. From 1978 to 1981 Warner Brothers distributed all of the Orion product;  Beginning in 1982 Orion set up their own distribution company when it acquired Filmways, which MAXIE would have been distributed under.  In 1997, Orion was sold to MGM, which retains all rights and they did release the first DVD version. With that being said, a new release would come from MGM/Fox and that will more than likely happen when pigs fly.  

The only fly in the ointment is that HBO was an investor in the beginnings of Orion and have some home video rights to certain films.  HBO did release the VHS and Image released the Laser disc of MAXIE.  .

Good luck on a new release.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman